File Hosting Service

What other productivity software are you working with...
serendipity

File Hosting Service

Post by serendipity »

I use Dropbox.
Anybody use XY (or specific folders such as Thumbs, Catalogs, Script etc) from within any of the file hosting services? Just curious.

nas8e9

Re: File Hosting Service

Post by nas8e9 »

serendipity wrote:I use Dropbox.
Anybody use XY (or specific folders such as Thumbs, Catalogs, Script etc) from within any of the file hosting services? Just curious.
I'm not familiar with DropBox: how does it integrate into the shell (shell namespace, etc.)? Also, do you run a 64-bit Windows version?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

nas8e9 wrote:
serendipity wrote:I use Dropbox.
I'm not familiar with DropBox: how does it integrate into the shell (shell namespace, etc.)? Also, do you run a 64-bit Windows version?
Once you create a dropbox account and install it on your computer, you can drop files into your dropbox folder and it will be synced to your online account and any other computer that has your account linked to. It works on both 32 and 64 bit and is cross-platform. There is also a portable version which you can install on USB and have multiple accounts (requiring multiple emails) synced.
BTW, each account allows 2gb space.
Update: Should have mentioned earlier that portable dropbox is provided by another team: http://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/

tux.

Post by tux. »

Dropbox runs quite well (even on a server without a GUI), but I would rather call it a backup platform than real "file hosting" due to its nature: By default, only one folder is publicly available. The great thing is its platform independency (even we Android users have our things sync'ed), and they grant a lot of free space. By performing some tasks you can have over 25 GB for free which is more than its direct competitors provide. (I have 5.6 GB, wherever the .6 comes from; a blog author I have recently read has 27 now.)

For random image hosting I prefer the (great) min.us, other files I want to share are usually stored on some of my FTP servers for a while. :)