Text Editors

What other productivity software are you working with...
tux.

Re: Text Editors

Post by tux. »

binocular222 wrote:- Many plugins written for ST2 does not work with ST3
Actually, that's a "-" for Python 3, not for the editor.
binocular222 wrote:- Close source
So what?
binocular222 wrote:Conclusion: Very steep learning curve
:shock:

Compared to what?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

binocular222 wrote:Sublime Text:
+ Cross-platform
+ All settings & plugins are stored in User folder, no modification to default file → safe
+ Instant start-up (from verion 3)
+ Smart indent
+ Almost everything are customizable (even core components are just Python plugin and can be editted)
+ I've just written XYplorer syntax highlighting for ST3
- Extremely poor documentation
- Too many editable things with no documentation is just nightmare
- Many plugins written for ST2 does not work with ST3
- Close source

Conclusion: Very steep learning curve, but woth it.
I'd agree with all of this, though I haven't played with ST3 much, but I slightly disagree about the learning curve.
It's not bad for usage, nowhere near that of vi(m) or emacs, but for customization its youth and lack of documentation make it much worse.

I'll also add:
+ Powerful regex engine that can handle multi-line patterns well.
        Blew Scintilla-based editors out of the water when I compared last year.
+ Multi-Cursors & Selections are amazing!
        Pay close attention to the 6 animated GIFs on the home page: http://www.sublimetext.com/
+ Unicode support
        One of the reasons I had to leave TextPad.
+ Macros can be edited after recording
        One of the feature requests I got sick of waiting to see in TextPad.
- No lifetime license
        Understandable but disappointing nonetheless.

EDIT: Layout.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

binocular222 wrote:Sublime Text:
+ Cross-platform
Valid point. However, I haven't found need for it by now.
binocular222 wrote: + All settings & plugins are stored in User folder, no modification to default file ? safe
+ Instant start-up (from verion 3)
+ Smart indent
+ Almost everything are customizable (even core components are just Python plugin and can be editted)
Being far from calling myself a Notepad++ expert I think it offers equivalent features.
binocular222 wrote: - Extremely poor documentation
- Too many editable things with no documentation is just nightmare
- Many plugins written for ST2 does not work with ST3
This is what bugs me. At this price tag and license policy (no lifetime) I really would expect a comprehensive and carefully laid out documentation.

binocular222 wrote:+ I've just written XYplorer syntax highlighting for ST3
Inspired by you I've just tried to configure ( :mrgreen: ) a similar setup.
Notepad++.png
Notepad++.png (122.67 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
tux. wrote:
binocular222 wrote:- Close source
So what?
+1

TheQwerty wrote: I'll also add:
+ Powerful regex engine that can handle multi-line patterns well.
        Blew Scintilla-based editors out of the water when I compared last year.
+ Multi-Cursors & Selections are amazing!
        Pay close attention to the 6 animated GIFs on the home page: http://www.sublimetext.com/
This seems to be the realm where Scintilla/Notepad++ lacks the most.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Edit: added missing link.

Cheers,
Filehero
Last edited by Filehero on 14 Jun 2013 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

Close source is a problem if you follow the Sublime forum few months earlier. No new release and unable to contact author made me think it's dead and no-one can takeup the work due to close source.

@FileHero: How do you remove the titlebar? I use Autohotkey to remove it but get bug frequently.
And the Tabbar is gone too?
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

binocular222 wrote:@FileHero: How do you remove the titlebar? I use Autohotkey to remove it but get bug frequently.
And the Tabbar is gone too?
After reading your Sublime Text syntax highlighting thread I went to the ST website and noticed the Distraction Free Mode.
Only now* I realized in Notepad++ you can do:
- F11: Fullscreen with tabs
- F12: Distraction Free

*: reminds me of the feature bomb XY ... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Filehero

tux.

Post by tux. »

binocular222 wrote:Close source is a problem if you follow the Sublime forum few months earlier. No new release and unable to contact author made me think it's dead and no-one can takeup the work due to close source.
If you start getting nervous because your text editor has not been updated for two months, you have some serious issue, pal.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

tux. wrote:The mini-map, presumably.
I'm really happy I've asked here.

I've just noticed another nice in-build feature

-> "Document Map"
Notepad++_doc-map.png
Notepad++_doc-map.png (151.49 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
:lol:

Cheers,
Filehero

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

I've just noticed another nice in-build feature
This one is not in-build, but you can get it throgh Plugins > Plugin Manager > Show Plugin Manager > tick Compare > Install
Kind regards
Regmos

highend

Post by highend »

A few things make ST 2/3 outstanding:

- Command palette
- It's a modal editor and therefore supports (ofc not all but most useful) VIM commands & movement.
For ST3 there is Vintageous, which enhances it quite a bit further.
- Plugins like EasyMotion, which allows you to never have to use the mouse again when you want to quickly
jump to a character position in the current view. Unfortunately it doesn't work in ST3 atm.

Really guys, if you have ever used (g)vim you don't want to "fall back" to an editor that doesn't support
motions...

It's so customizable, it's incredible. I have to learn more Python...

I've tried a lot of graphical editors (TextMate, EditPlus, EmEditor, HippoEdit, Notepad++, SlickEdit, UltraEdit) but nothing satified me like ST ;)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

highend wrote:I've tried a lot of graphical editors (TextMate, EditPlus, EmEditor, HippoEdit, Notepad++, SlickEdit, UltraEdit) but nothing satified me like ST ;)
SynWrite - worth checking out, too. A newcomer, but already highly customizable, especially for HD screen resolutions that have different customizing needs.
It has mulitple carets (could never live without that, a MUST in my editor choices), a mini-map, a foldable tree view, and the usual stuff, of course.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Stef123 wrote:SynWrite - worth checking out, too.
After some half an hour of reading and trying it out, I am inclined to say: Worth checking out indeed! Thank you, Stef.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

armsys

Post by armsys »

Stef123 wrote:SynWrite - worth checking out, too. A newcomer, but already highly customizable, especially for HD screen resolutions that have different customizing needs.
It has mulitple carets (could never live without that, a MUST in my editor choices), a mini-map, a foldable tree view, and the usual stuff, of course.
Have you tried out EditPad Pro 7? It's the fastest editor on the market.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

I used to use Editpad Pro religiously. The one feature I couldn't do without was the search panel on the bottom.

I also used EditPlus for all my HTML/Java/CGI coding.

Now I use AkelPad. The bookmarks are second to none. The portable fonts feature is ingenious. It's nice to have your favorite fonts when working from a USB drive on another machine, especially my favorite programming font, MonteCarlo. Great for editing ini files as well. :ugeek:
Attachments
AkelPad/Faenza Icons
AkelPad/Faenza Icons
200733 [165].png (22.5 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

armsys

Post by armsys »

Nighted wrote:I used to use Editpad Pro religiously. The one feature I couldn't do without was the search panel on the bottom.
I also used EditPlus for all my HTML/Java/CGI coding.
Now I use AkelPad. The bookmarks are second to none. The portable fonts feature is ingenious. It's nice to have your favorite fonts when working from a USB drive on another machine, especially my favorite programming font, MonteCarlo. Great for editing ini files as well. :ugeek:
Hi Nighted,
Appreciate your valuable feedback especially revealing AkelPad, which I didn't know previously.
Furthermore, AkelPad is recently upgraded and is free.
For a software product having not been upgraded for the last 12 months, it's a piece of junk. There's no such zero-defect perfect software in the known galaxy. Whenever I evaluate a software product, my first question: When has it been recently upgraded?
My preferred fonts are: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono and Lucida Console.
For my day-in and day-out editor, EditPad Pro is definitely my sole choice. EditPad Pro's speed is second to none, even though competing editors may have tons of features.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

AkelPad's main executable get's fairly regular updates but I keep an eye on the plugins which get updated far more often. There is even an updater that you can put into AkelPad's AkelFiles directory that will update everything for you showing you a version comparison before you commit.
Attachments
220933 [167].png
220933 [167].png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.