Text Editors

What other productivity software are you working with...
admin
Site Admin

Text Editors

Post by admin »

My recommendation for EmEditor.

Small note: I'm using version 8 which is indeed lightweight and fast. Current version is 11 and it seems to go where all software is destined to go (sigh): Feature creep.

grindax

Re: Text Editors

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

eil

Post by eil »

For me it's AkelPad.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

highend

Post by highend »

Sublime Text 2 is nice but nothing beats gVim...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Marco

Post by Marco »

EditPad Pro, unbeatable search-and-replace regex engine
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

highend

Post by highend »

EditPad Pro, unbeatable search-and-replace regex engine
Does it allow you to e.g. find all lines with a specific pattern and delete these lines + the following x lines after each pattern?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Marco

Post by Marco »

highend wrote:Does it allow you to e.g. find all lines with a specific pattern and delete these lines + the following x lines after each pattern?
Yes. Want the code?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

I like http://www.ultraedit.com/ personally.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I grew up on TextPad 4.7, and I've stuck with it to this day.

The biggest reason is everything else I've tried makes it extremely difficult or impossible to find and replace a multi-line regular expression (everything Scintilla-based fails this).
Unfortunately, it seems like a relatively dead product and they've just been dragging the 5.* versions around trying to keep it working correctly, or at least looking fresh on the newer versions of Windows.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.

Marco

Post by Marco »

/r/n for explicitly matching a line break in EditPad

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Twisten wrote:Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.
A basic example of what I mean is taking something like:
a

b

c

a

d

c
And using a find of:

Code: Select all

(a)\n\n([bd])\n\n(c)
and replacing it with

$2-$1-$3\n
resulting in:
b-a-c

d-a-c
It would also be great if it supported wildcards following a line break (i.e. "\n+"), which TextPad currently does not do.

I would hope UltraEdit handles it with their hefty price tag, but I haven't been able to swallow that - especially since my interests have grown to prefer cross-platform support, and $160!? :shock:

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.

And truthfully, I think by the time I find a cross-platform option I love I'll be looking for a cloud app with offline support instead. :lol:

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

TheQwerty wrote:Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.
Same here :).

I use Notepad2 for quick edits, and have been using Notepad++ for larger jobs until recently, where I've started playing with Sublime Text 2. I also went past HippoEdit which had some really awesome features, but felt a bit like it was drowning in betas.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Jibz wrote:… where I've started playing with Sublime Text 2. I also went past HippoEdit which had some really awesome features, but felt a bit like it was drowning in betas.
Indeed, I wasn't ready for another program with as many betas as XY. :lol: The other pain point I felt was the difficulty in creating new/custom syntax highlighters. They offer much more capabilities than TextPad here, but this comes with more complicated definitions and unfortunately both allowed their documentation to lag too far behind to be of any real use.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

TheQwerty wrote:
Twisten wrote:Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.
A basic example of what I mean is taking something like:
a

b

c

a

d

c
And using a find of:

(a)\n\n([bd])\n\n(c)
and replacing it with

$2-$1-$3\n
resulting in:
b-a-c

d-a-c
It would also be great if it supported wildcards following a line break (i.e. "\n+"), which TextPad currently does not do.

I would hope UltraEdit handles it with their hefty price tag, but I haven't been able to swallow that - especially since my interests have grown to prefer cross-platform support, and $160!? :shock:

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.

And truthfully, I think by the time I find a cross-platform option I love I'll be looking for a cloud app with offline support instead. :lol:
Yes, ultraedit can handle this, it can't usualy match \n+ buy you could try and force it with [~]+ which will match repeated line breaks but might not fit exactly your criteria.