Text Editors

What other productivity software are you working with...
Post Reply
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47703
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Text Editors

Post by admin » 17 Feb 2012 14:28

My recommendation for EmEditor.

Small note: I'm using version 8 which is indeed lightweight and fast. Current version is 11 and it seems to go where all software is destined to go (sigh): Feature creep.

grindax

Re: Text Editors

Post by grindax » 17 Feb 2012 14:36

.
Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

eil
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: Text Editors

Post by eil » 17 Feb 2012 15:21

For me it's AkelPad.

highend
Posts: 8304
Joined: 06 Feb 2011 00:33

Re: Text Editors

Post by highend » 17 Feb 2012 16:05

Sublime Text 2 is nice but nothing beats gVim...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or highend (at) web (dot) de

Marco
Posts: 2266
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Text Editors

Post by Marco » 18 Feb 2012 10:32

EditPad Pro, unbeatable search-and-replace regex engine
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

highend
Posts: 8304
Joined: 06 Feb 2011 00:33

Re: Text Editors

Post by highend » 18 Feb 2012 12:42

EditPad Pro, unbeatable search-and-replace regex engine
Does it allow you to e.g. find all lines with a specific pattern and delete these lines + the following x lines after each pattern?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or highend (at) web (dot) de

Marco
Posts: 2266
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Text Editors

Post by Marco » 18 Feb 2012 15:35

highend wrote:Does it allow you to e.g. find all lines with a specific pattern and delete these lines + the following x lines after each pattern?
Yes. Want the code?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Twisten
Posts: 199
Joined: 27 Apr 2008 10:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by Twisten » 18 Feb 2012 18:02

I like http://www.ultraedit.com/ personally.

TheQwerty
Posts: 4353
Joined: 03 Aug 2007 22:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by TheQwerty » 20 Feb 2012 12:28

I grew up on TextPad 4.7, and I've stuck with it to this day.

The biggest reason is everything else I've tried makes it extremely difficult or impossible to find and replace a multi-line regular expression (everything Scintilla-based fails this).
Unfortunately, it seems like a relatively dead product and they've just been dragging the 5.* versions around trying to keep it working correctly, or at least looking fresh on the newer versions of Windows.

Twisten
Posts: 199
Joined: 27 Apr 2008 10:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by Twisten » 20 Feb 2012 16:41

Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.

Marco
Posts: 2266
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Text Editors

Post by Marco » 20 Feb 2012 16:46

/r/n for explicitly matching a line break in EditPad
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

TheQwerty
Posts: 4353
Joined: 03 Aug 2007 22:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by TheQwerty » 20 Feb 2012 17:01

Twisten wrote:Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.
A basic example of what I mean is taking something like:
a

b

c

a

d

c
And using a find of:

Code: Select all

(a)\n\n([bd])\n\n(c)
and replacing it with

Code: Select all

$2-$1-$3\n
resulting in:
b-a-c


d-a-c
It would also be great if it supported wildcards following a line break (i.e. "\n+"), which TextPad currently does not do.

I would hope UltraEdit handles it with their hefty price tag, but I haven't been able to swallow that - especially since my interests have grown to prefer cross-platform support, and $160!? :shock:

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.

And truthfully, I think by the time I find a cross-platform option I love I'll be looking for a cloud app with offline support instead. :lol:

Jibz
Posts: 123
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 16:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by Jibz » 20 Feb 2012 19:59

TheQwerty wrote:Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.
Same here :).

I use Notepad2 for quick edits, and have been using Notepad++ for larger jobs until recently, where I've started playing with Sublime Text 2. I also went past HippoEdit which had some really awesome features, but felt a bit like it was drowning in betas.

TheQwerty
Posts: 4353
Joined: 03 Aug 2007 22:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by TheQwerty » 20 Feb 2012 20:20

Jibz wrote:… where I've started playing with Sublime Text 2. I also went past HippoEdit which had some really awesome features, but felt a bit like it was drowning in betas.
Indeed, I wasn't ready for another program with as many betas as XY. :lol: The other pain point I felt was the difficulty in creating new/custom syntax highlighters. They offer much more capabilities than TextPad here, but this comes with more complicated definitions and unfortunately both allowed their documentation to lag too far behind to be of any real use.

Twisten
Posts: 199
Joined: 27 Apr 2008 10:30

Re: Text Editors

Post by Twisten » 21 Feb 2012 06:13

TheQwerty wrote:
Twisten wrote:Well if you mean that you can include line breaks in a regular expression so that an expression can match against more than one line, you can do that in ultraedit.
A basic example of what I mean is taking something like:
a

b

c

a

d

c
And using a find of:

Code: Select all

(a)\n\n([bd])\n\n(c)
and replacing it with

Code: Select all

$2-$1-$3\n
resulting in:
b-a-c


d-a-c
It would also be great if it supported wildcards following a line break (i.e. "\n+"), which TextPad currently does not do.

I would hope UltraEdit handles it with their hefty price tag, but I haven't been able to swallow that - especially since my interests have grown to prefer cross-platform support, and $160!? :shock:

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I compared editors but last time the most interesting candidate was HippoEdit. However lately Sublime Text has been drawing my attention more.

And truthfully, I think by the time I find a cross-platform option I love I'll be looking for a cloud app with offline support instead. :lol:
Yes, ultraedit can handle this, it can't usualy match \n+ buy you could try and force it with [~]+ which will match repeated line breaks but might not fit exactly your criteria.

Post Reply