File Managers

What other productivity software are you working with...
admin
Site Admin

File Managers

Post by admin »

That's obviously XYplorer for me.

But maybe some of you use other file managers for specific tasks (or maybe for most tasks, and XYplorer just for specific tasks). That would be interesting to know. Not to copy those features. I think it's totally okay and normal to use different file managers side by side, why not?! And I'm not planning to build a swiss-army-monster. Just being curious.

acheton

Re: File Managers

Post by acheton »

Hey Don,

I use XY all day every day however when working with Camera's and other devices which XY doesn't support I use WE. When I need to dedupe multiple folders of photos or other files I use xplorer2 as XY doesn't have a dedupe function built in at the moment.

Hope this is of interest!

Ach

eil

Post by eil »

after i found XY it became my main file manager for almost every task. 8) though i used to work with TC and still find it useful(especially for when i need to arrange large amount of files). for pity i have to use WE for "devices", while XY didn't support them at the moment.
yet i track development of Explorer++(at least it's much better then original) and Q-Dir(quad-interface just somehow/sometimes attracts me). :roll:
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

From a XYplorer noob:
-I use ACDSee for dealing with images, for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, if you move images outside of ACDSee, you mess up ACDSee's catalog, so it has to be used always for schlepping images (I'm sure an insurmountable hassle, programming-wise).
-For "regular" file management, I used Opus for a few years, but their "upgrade" policy is IMO an insult to loyal users, and I'm not doing as much file managing of late so can't justify the price. (And to be honest, the endless customizability is overwhelming).
-Have been comparing Xplorer2 and XYplorer for a few weeks and leaning toward XYplorer for it's apparent stability and speed, comparatively. I really like the breadcrumb style of Xplorer2 and Opus so that's a hard adjustment. OTOH, XYolorer's branch view is much more robust than what Xplorer2 has to offer. And so on. Thanks for a great product!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

sfwood wrote: I really like the breadcrumb style of Xplorer2 and Opus so that's a hard adjustment. OTOH, XYolorer's branch view is much more robust than what Xplorer2 has to offer. And so on. Thanks for a great product!
X2's breadcrumb style (or the similar Vista/W7 one) is something that has been requested numerous times here (search for "vista breadcrumb", for ex) and is on the roadmap as part of 'Win7 stuff' AFIAK.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Analog to acheton, but other device: for photos I put the CF-card into a card reader and XY is OK. (And it's faster this way!)

But to copy maps and routes from and to my navi I sadly need windows explorer. And immediately after importing new routes I need an XY-script to rename them to a useful name... :cry:
(In original they are named Track_19_12_2011_... - I love how they are sorted :evil: )
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

xman

Post by xman »

When I (infrequently) need to search through the entire system or a folder with a huge amount of files and subfolders inside, I use "Everything" for such a task. It takes up to a minute or so to index all the drives, but then searching is instantaneous (although limited compared to XY abilities).

And then there is downloading photos from the Canon camera, for which I use WE (unless I move the card to the card reader, in which case I can use XY).

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I'm about to make a post specifically about this, but does anyone following this thread know of a file manager that can deal with long paths? As in path's longer than 260 characters?
From reading this MS article I'm pretty sure it's doable. But so far I haven't found any file managers that do it.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

xyrobert2013 wrote:I'm about to make a post specifically about this, but does anyone following this thread know of a file manager that can deal with long paths? As in path's longer than 260 characters?
From reading this MS article I'm pretty sure it's doable. But so far I haven't found any file managers that do it.
Well for one, XY does support most overlong file operations, or did you mean other than XY?
Here are some release notes regarding overlong paths/names:
http://www.xyplorer.com/release_8.00.htm#overlong
http://www.xyplorer.com/release_11.10.htm#DeleteLong

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

Oh my goodness! It looks like there is some support for handling those long paths!
I guess it can deal with files with very long names and delete files from very long paths.

But I just tried <i>copying>/i> a directory of long-paths from the root of my drive to my Windows Desktop using XYplorer v12.0 and got the same error I get with Windows Explorer. So I guess support for these kinds of operations is being added, but the copy part isn't there yet.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a safety feature? B/c putting these files into that long path really will cause some potential problems. Windows Explorer won't be able to delete them, some backup software isn't going to see them, etc. I'll look in the options and see if I can find a switch for this.
Attachments
Error shown from copying with XYplorer is the same as with Windows Explorer on Win7 Pro 64 bit.
Error shown from copying with XYplorer is the same as with Windows Explorer on Win7 Pro 64 bit.
2013-01-31 16-27-11_Destination Path Too Long.png (26.79 KiB) Viewed 12319 times

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I am totally new to XYplorer (just trying it in hopes of finding that long-path support), so forgive me, but I love the settings area!

First, it's filled with hundreds of settings that let me know this is a mature program that's been well thought out. Second, it has a great search for jumping right to the setting you're looking for even if you've never seen the program before. Very nice. And the fact it's natively a "portable" app makes me happy too.

Praise for quality aside, there sure is a "Support overlong filenames" toggle under "Controls and More", but it's checked by default. So I don't think there's anything for this in the Settings. There are a lot there though, it's possible I'm missing it.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

xyrobert2013 wrote:I am totally new to XYplorer (just trying it in hopes of finding that long-path support), so forgive me, but I love the settings area!
Hi and welcome to the XY world!

Having said that, in a matter of housekeeping, a few of us regulars here monitor ALL the sub-forums so posting this issue in one place is adequate, ok? Wishes can get acted on from Bugs thread and vice-versa...we're not 100% formal.
We like to keep this place as tidy as we can and redundant threads don't help...so...hopefully before anyone replies to those two other threads, could you delete at least one of them, if not both, which you as OP can do if there are zero replies? Thanks much and hope you understand!

See http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9193
and http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9194
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 31 Jan 2013 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I've deleted the other posts.

I wasn't sure how large the set of users here was and since what I'm looking for is a feature request and I've got my eyes open for other software too I posted in multiple places.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

xyrobert2013 wrote:I've deleted the other posts.
THANKS kindly! We really DO appreciate it and when you're searching for a prior post on a topic, you'll begin to know why having dupl's can interfere with results in that process by creating mutiple hits for same basic thing.
I wasn't sure how large the set of users here was and since what I'm looking for is a feature request and I've got my eyes open for other software too I posted in multiple places.
We have a small core group (maybe 20+ or so?...never really counted!) of VERY devoted XY fans who spend a LOT of time here so getting a reply promptly is typical! Sometimes we may not have the answer but you're not going to get ignored here unlike some forums...Don (admin/author) often responds as well which is also rare for many forums.

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

My problem's solved.

I feel kinda like I hijacked someone's thread, and if an admin wants to move this little sub-thread elsewhere for housekeeping purposes, I've got no problem with that.

Turns out that XYplorer handles long paths very nicely - but for copying purposes you need to tell it to "backup" instead of "copy".
With copy, XYplorer invokes standard Windows code to handle the file copy. Just like Windows Explorer.
But with backup XY does the copy itself.

I copied my directory containing 230 MB / 6900 files twice with each method and the copy time was the same with each method.

Even when recycling folders with those overly-long paths, XY nicely warns you that the Recycle Bin can't handle those and it'll be a permanent delete.

I also think XY also gave me warnings about creating new directories and text files with such long paths too.

Another thing I was worried about was searching, but XY's built in search (which seems to be a real search utility, unlike the various deceitful ones that have been built into Windows from XP onwards) worked great.

In short, this is just the product I'm looking for. Wish I'd been on the ball with this last week and got in on the lifetime licensing!