File Managers

What other productivity software are you working with...
highend

Re: File Managers

Post by highend »

Any ideas?
Don't write to an UAC protected directory if you don't have the required permissions...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

What exactly do the last two posts in this thread have to do with XY?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

For those who need a simple and free file manager that offers a double tree structure, I recommend QDir

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Or Tablacus Explorer. Both are basic file managers, like XY used to be before it became bloated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Help yourself along the bloat cascade: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hmmmm,

even in it's most recent version one can configure XY as simple as one wishes. :?:
Voluntarily I would never sacrifice the power of XY. One click, and all you need is closed at hand ...

My cry: my customers all have turned to disallow running any software which isn't on their white list. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

But I won't give up to ask them to allow XY (though my hopes are low.)

CRYYYYY.

Filehero

Gandolf wrote: 30 Jan 2020 04:01 Or Tablacus Explorer. Both are basic file managers, like XY used to be before it became bloated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's not to allow?

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 11 Feb 2020 21:07 What's not to allow?
Short version: it's not white-listed.

Longer version: with the introduction of Windows 10 (the OS is NOT to blame for it ...) the corporate security has employed a strict-as-it-can-be policy. Everything is forbidden. If there is a need, the management has to ask for - and has to pay for the initial security checks, of course. On the individual level (that's me) it sounds bogus, but at the corporate level it sounds reasonable (it's a Central Bank in Germany).

Tough, yes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Everything is forbidden. :biggrin: I like that. It's a mantra.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 11 Feb 2020 21:44 Everything is forbidden. :biggrin: I like that. It's a mantra.
It's Germany ... Truth is, it's the mindset of a certain crowd thinking to represent the people living here. In other words, our daily business. :x

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote: 11 Feb 2020 20:41 Help yourself along the bloat cascade: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php
Why use an outdated version of XYplorer that isn't bloated, when there are other current file managers that aren't bloated?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why post here?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

You started this thread about File Managers Don.
admin wrote: 02 Jan 2012 14:40 ...But maybe some of you use other file managers for specific tasks (or maybe for most tasks, and XYplorer just for specific tasks). That would be interesting to know. Not to copy those features. I think it's totally okay and normal to use different file managers side by side, why not?! And I'm not planning to build a swiss-army-monster. Just being curious.
Now, when you get negative comments about XY, you don't like it.
The truth hurts.
You're trapped in an archaic programming language, a BEGINNERS language at that.
Fix1, Fix2, Fix3... how many times have I seen that in your posts?
Might have fixed it in the next version...
What way is that to program?

What if the programmers of the da Vinci Surgical System had that approach (it was used for my heart surgery - less than two days after major surgery, I was walking unaided).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, thanks for you edifying and encouraging insights. You talk like a wise man.

Lare2

Post by Lare2 »

As a paid Customer of Total Commander (Since what seems a lifetime LOL), XYplorer (Lifetime Licence) and Directory Opus.

I want to give my two cents on all of them.

Total commander

Rock solid as a a Diamond. If I was tasked with going to war with just one thing, I would blindly take Total Commander with me. That piece of software is the most reliable program I've used, and I've owned that thing for a decade now. The only thing I might dislike is their archaic plug-ins system. That's the only negativity I can mention, Otherwise, I can trust it with anything critical.

Direcory Opus

Ultra flexible, super powerful, well thought proven reliability and the best Developer you will encounter bar none. If you are a power user. Directory Opus is your File Explorer. Really, I've paid extra licenses just to support Leo the developer over there. The amount of configurations you can achieve with it are crazy ridiculous. Their documentation is top notch. This is the luxury File Manger.

XYPlorer

Oh boy, where to start. I've owned XYPlorer Lifetime License since 2007. Never since then have I relied on it for anything critical. It always feels like a moving train of constant updates and scwewups and fixes and screwups. It's a File Manager, should be Stable and predictable. Over this years I have seen this software add tons and tons of features every release as to just fill more bullets on their feature list and nothing else. I also over these years have read so many excuses being made as to the lack of 64 Bits Version.

And lets be honest. Visual Basic is something not even Microsoft want anything to do with it anymore.

https://www.thurrott.com/dev/232268/mic ... sual-basic

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... -to-net-5/

So in the end, whats the point of having a Gazillion features when you can't rely on the stability of the program.