File Managers

What other productivity software are you working with...
admin
Site Admin

Re: File Managers

Post by admin »

xyrobert2013 wrote:Turns out that XYplorer handles long paths very nicely - but for copying purposes you need to tell it to "backup" instead of "copy".
With copy, XYplorer invokes standard Windows code to handle the file copy. Just like Windows Explorer.
But with backup XY does the copy itself.
You can achieve the same more conveniently if you enable Custom Copy. Then you don't have to use "Backup" but all normal copy/move operations (including copy/paste via clipboard) will work seamlessly with overlong paths.

jcmn

Post by jcmn »

I use Dopus alongside with XYPlorer, these two for years. At this moment I'm waiting for the next roadmap feature LIVE FILTER that is important for me. It's one that I most use with Dopus.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jcmn wrote:I use Dopus alongside with XYPlorer, these two for years. At this moment I'm waiting for the next roadmap feature LIVE FILTER that is important for me. It's one that I most use with Dopus.
This will certainly come this year. (I need it myself :mrgreen: )

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Backup doesn't exist in this way outside of XY, that's why this operation is always using the XYcopy.exe,
but in "Configuration/File Operations/Custom Copy Operations" you can define whether Copy and Move shall use it as well...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

admin wrote:
jcmn wrote:I use Dopus alongside with XYPlorer, these two for years. At this moment I'm waiting for the next roadmap feature LIVE FILTER that is important for me. It's one that I most use with Dopus.
This will certainly come this year. (I need it myself :mrgreen: )
Really glad to hear it! I've been looking forward to Live Filter for a long time! :)

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I'm not completely sure what live filters are, but weren't they part of v9.9.x ?
From http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php :
What's new in 9.90.1100?

Released 15-Jun-2011
Progress Dialog. Backup operations now come with a progress dialog featuring the ability to pause/resume copying and detailed reports.
Verification. Backup verification now supports the following methods: Byte-to-byte, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512.
Safe Overwrite. Backup operations now feature "Safe Overwrite", a clever logic that minimizes the risk of data loss due to failures while overwriting (e.g. power out).
Live Filter Box. Various lists in the interface now are provided with a live filter box, aka "Instant Search".
Type Ahead Find. Now there's an option to "Match anywhere", not just at the beginning of the file names.
Empty List Message. Now when the file list is empty a message is displayed right in the list.
Overlong Filenames. Now you can delete a folder with overlong name (more than 260 characters) with all its contents.
Access Control. An administrator now can define any number of disallowed locations.

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

xyrobert2013 wrote:I'm not completely sure what live filters are, but weren't they part of v9.9.x ?
From http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php :
What's new in 9.90.1100?

Released 15-Jun-2011
Progress Dialog. Backup operations now come with a progress dialog featuring the ability to pause/resume copying and detailed reports.
Verification. Backup verification now supports the following methods: Byte-to-byte, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512.
Safe Overwrite. Backup operations now feature "Safe Overwrite", a clever logic that minimizes the risk of data loss due to failures while overwriting (e.g. power out).
Live Filter Box. Various lists in the interface now are provided with a live filter box, aka "Instant Search".
Type Ahead Find. Now there's an option to "Match anywhere", not just at the beginning of the file names.
Empty List Message. Now when the file list is empty a message is displayed right in the list.
Overlong Filenames. Now you can delete a folder with overlong name (more than 260 characters) with all its contents.
Access Control. An administrator now can define any number of disallowed locations.
Those live filters work in the lists in the configuration interface, but we're looking for live filters in the file list! *THAT* is what I am excited about!

Marco

Post by Marco »

xman wrote:When I (infrequently) need to search through the entire system or a folder with a huge amount of files and subfolders inside, I use "Everything" for such a task. It takes up to a minute or so to index all the drives, but then searching is instantaneous (although limited compared to XY abilities).

And then there is downloading photos from the Canon camera, for which I use WE (unless I move the card to the card reader, in which case I can use XY).
Just found today that Everything is being actively developed again, after about 3 years!
I spread the XYplorer word on its forum [ http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1643 ], and if anybody comes up with a solution to the problem mentioned there it would be great.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Marco wrote:
xman wrote:When I (infrequently) need to search through the entire system or a folder with a huge amount of files and subfolders inside, I use "Everything" for such a task. It takes up to a minute or so to index all the drives, but then searching is instantaneous (although limited compared to XY abilities).

And then there is downloading photos from the Canon camera, for which I use WE (unless I move the card to the card reader, in which case I can use XY).
Just found today that Everything is being actively developed again, after about 3 years!
I spread the XYplorer word on its forum [ http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1643 ], and if anybody comes up with a solution to the problem mentioned there it would be great.
Haha. I just want something to be cleared about Everything. Everything does indeed index the entire system but not in the traditional way. Rather than indexing the system by going through each files in the system, all it does is read the MFT. Which is why once the ininial "lag" of the program start is over, searching is instantaneous including any new changes. It really is instant. You can even try it by doing a search for stuff in a specific folder. Then just add files to that folder and you will see those files show up immediately. Everthing pretty much keep track of the MFT. Almost all other programs have to actually index the files so any changed files or new created files will not show up until it's reindex again unlike Everything. So from what I see, although Everything searching capability is limited compared to XYplorer, it still has a clear advantage in terms of speed. Besides, "limited" is relative because Everything's RegEx support is excellent so if you know RegEx, it's there to be used. Of course XYplorer has the user friendliness part to it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But Everything searches only by Name, right?

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

admin wrote:But Everything searches only by Name, right?
Very true. It's not a problem if you name your files well but if your files are not named well, then it won't help as much. It's one thing that some of us hope Everything will implement in the future, more complex filters that are based on names as well as other data about the files. The speed of Everything though cannot be denied since it's so awesome in that regard. Sometimes I have torrents littered all over my drivers (including 4 of my external drives) and I can just do a simple "*.torrent" with some exclusions and then just dragged all those torrents and put them into a new folder. Easy as that and quickly too. Of course you can do the same for XYplorer but you must wait a bit first.

Haha this is not a feature I will ever expect from XYplorer. In fact I don't think it should since XYplorer's focus should be on something else. Besides, if you were to implement such a feature, it will require Admin rights to run it since reading the MFT is low-level system access. Instead XYplorer should remain awesome at what it does already!

Marco

Post by Marco »

The last beta allows to enter other parameters too, like size and date, see http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1640 and http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1639 .
However syntax handling is not super smart yet. This reminds me of the earlier implementation of Multi Field Search in XY, which was quickly enhanced back then (matter of two days...).
I wonder what could happen if you were Everything's developer :mrgreen:
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:
The last beta allows to enter other parameters too, like size and date, see http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1640 and http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1639 .
However syntax handling is not super smart yet. This reminds me of the earlier implementation of Multi Field Search in XY, which was quickly enhanced back then (matter of two days...).
I wonder what could happen if you were Everything's developer :mrgreen:
But I doubt they can keep the speed high with parameters other than Name. Something like "find all files modified today" will not be any faster than in XY.

Marco

Post by Marco »

I don't know... You are the one who really knows how these things work under the hood!
Assuming that all the properties can be retrieved from MFT and basically we search in a multicolumn array, why search by name should be significantly faster than, let's say, search by date?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:I don't know... You are the one who really knows how these things work under the hood!
Assuming that all the properties can be retrieved from MFT and basically we search in a multicolumn array, why search by name should be significantly faster than, let's say, search by date?
Well, I don't need to know this at this low level. But according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Fil ... #Internals, the following properties are stored in the MFT: file name, creation date, access permissions (by the use of access control lists), and size. Not e.g. the modified date.