Screenshots

What other productivity software are you working with...
tux.

Re: Screenshots

Post by tux. »

I'd say PicPick. It did not satisfy me though (no upload).

eil

Post by eil »

i'd recommend FastStone Capture. it has everything you mentioned, comfortable interface, works fluently. though it's not free i never found better solution and use it for ages already.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yeah FastStone Capture is not free but it works really well. Other than that, I would also agree that PicPick is really nice as well.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Many thanks to all three of you!

Since I have started to test PicPick soon after tux suggested it, I will now stick to it - it seems to fulfill my needs (and it has a myriad of nice possibilities which I haven't hoped for).

For those potentially interested in PicPick: There is apparently just an installation exe-file to be downloaded - unfortunately no zip or so, like XYplorer portability lovers have here. :? So I have proceeded this way: installed it very carefully (at one step a hardly distinguishable dialog over dialog pops up - declined everything and closed the additional "installation" dialog; than completed the "real" installation), made a copy of the new folder structure and files immediately afterwards, followed by an immediate deinstallation.

Afterwards successfully used the previously cloned folder structure as a real portable software. It is being advertised as portable and seems to be portable indeed.

Also, I have noted some upload possibilities (which I do not use and are not important to me, but could be interesting for some, tux perhaps):
PicPick_Uploads.jpg
PicPick_Uploads.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

@ Borut
Hahaha glad you love PicPick. Just as a note, you don't actually need to install it and then make it portable. In fact, if you have WinRAR installed (or perhaps 7-zip), you can just right click the setup file and tell it to extract the contents of the setup file. Voila! Also there is one missing step that you forgot. To make sure that it's portable, you must make sure that it has a picpick.ini in the executable directory. picpick.ini is not created by default so as of currently, I think your settings are saved elsewhere.

Also even better:
http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p ... k-portable

All done for you. It's even better if you like portable apps, you can install the PortableApps launcher and install over 300 apps that already been portabalized (some of them are natively portable but PortableApps make them work really well with their launcher. Also all of their apps have legal permissions so you don't need to worry about that as well) and are great.

http://portableapps.com/download (The Launcher Platform)
http://portableapps.com/apps

Borut

Post by Borut »

@Enternal
Thanks for the tips.

My procedure has apparently created an ini file on the first start of the application - settings are indeed portable (have tried it already on the other machine).

The trick with WinRAR is the first thing I usually try in such situations. Interestingly enough, it did not work with the picpick_inst.exe which I have downloaded (maybe the exe is "squeezed", making compressed elements unrecognizable as such). I would say that PicPick people try hard to force the installation process, which is IMHO not wise.

Portableapps are known to me, but I use them as a last resort, when no other portable solution is available. I am not fond of special launchers (like portableapps), but those portableapps which I do use work good even with the general launcher I am using.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

Have a look here.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1496

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... Pick.shtml

Just remember to create en empty picpick.ini file in the app folder, before you launch it.
the first thing I usually try in such situations.....
You might want to check this out

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=641

Lupo alternativ

From time to time, you have to update the innoup.exe (in the Bin folder) yourself, but if you do that, it will extract almost anything

http://sourceforge.net/projects/innounp ... np%200.38/
Kind regards
Regmos

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Talking about Universal Extractor:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?p=60708

The problem is the author of Universal Extractor no longer updates it. This guy from portablefreeware.com made a version (using the original's source code) that can auto update the binaries so it should be able to extract almost everything as long as it is updated.

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Jibz wrote:+1 for Screenshot Captor for more heavy-duty screenshot taking. As a quick tool I have been using Greenshot receltly -- it may be .net, but it does what it does well.
Screenshot Capture linked above has just been updated to Version 4 with a number of new features and improvements. A full list is shown here Version 4 is Released

The developer of Screenshot Capture, Mouser, has also put together a small video screencast program that may be of interest.
Easy Screencast Recorder

Disclaimer: I'm not related to the programs except as a long time user of Screenshot Captor and a beginner with Easy Screencast Recorder.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

For most of my screenshot and basic image editing needs over the past 5 years, HyperSnap (from Hyperionics) has been satisfactory enough. But yes, that was a tepid recommendation, and I will check out some of the alternatives mentioned here.

Generally, I like using a good lightweight image editing program that comes with good screen-capture capabilities or vice a versa. And one particular feature I'd like to see is an auto-stitching function that can assemble a larger image from smaller pieces with smart auto-detection of overlap, etc.

Jerry
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

Camtasia Studio and LICEcap have already been mentioned in this forum, for creating animated gif's, but i just found a very cool little alternative.

GifCam

It's a small, fully portable freeware, and despite the size (1,5 MB unzipped) it can edit the recordings, add text, produce several sizes/qualities and open existing gif's to edit/continue recording.

I find it very nice, and it seems that it is being actively developed (latest version: Jun 03 2013).
Kind regards
Regmos

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 26 Jan 2016 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

GifCam - Very nice little tool! I have been meaning to look for a utility like this, and I think you just saved me the effort.
Thanks Regmos.
Last edited by Jerry on 01 Aug 2013 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

My pleasure :D

I'm a big fan of these little portable things.
Kind regards
Regmos

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Regmos wrote:My pleasure :D

I'm a big fan of these little portable things.
Me too. Great find.