Hardware: NUC

What other productivity software are you working with...
brettcode

Re: Hardware: NUC

Post by brettcode »

kuiwu_zh wrote: 24 Feb 2022 15:12 If SSD is used, it is recommended to back up data to the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) frequently.

I have been using SSD since 2013. I have used several SSD: 240G, 500G and 1TB. The 1T SSD used at the end of last year had problems, and more than a dozen files stored in the SSD could not be read because of a large number of ECC errors.

My files are backed up in three HDD (that is, all files is backed up in three different places), so there is no loss. I replaced a new 1T SSD.
Yes, I've been using SSDs for about 15 years and probably 80-90 drives in various development and production machines. I still have some (and use) my very old Intel X25-M drives. I will only use Intel and Samsung SSDs and strongly prefer the latter except for Intel's Optane drives which rule in DB applications. Unless a totally solid controller/firmware is used, you can get serious performance degradation. There is not much savings going to non-Samsung SSDs relative to the risk.

Thanks for your post! I am shocked that you had ECC problems with your Samsung EVO 870 1TB. I'm very sad for you. :'( I've never had an SSD HW problem (plenty of file system corruption when Windows crashes). I hope this is an isolated case. I recently purchased four EVO 870s. One will be used for video surveillance cameras, so that one should get a serious workout.

I absolutely agree on backups. Your data is so valuable. At least 3 backups, on preferably different brands/technologies, and hopefully in multiple places.

Do watch out for these "silly" SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) HDDs. What a nonsense technology -- only for the cheapest consumers. Only use (CMR) Conventional Magnetic Recording) HDDs or SSDs from top-shelf SSD companies.

brettcode

Re: Hardware: NUC

Post by brettcode »

Filehero wrote: 24 Feb 2022 08:36
brettcode wrote: 24 Feb 2022 00:14 , and the W11 File Explorer and taskbar totally suck.
Well, for Windows File Explore replacement there's a fantastic alternative. :)

I made a test upgrade to try it by myself. Old taskbar behavior can be restored with ExplorerPatcher. The, even 7+ Taskbar Tweaker works again.

It worked when I tested it last week. Nevertheless, I'd planned to restore W10 anyway because for me W11 is still a alpha release overall. So I did.
Yes, XYplorer is fantastic!!

Thank you so much for the tweaks for the W11 taskbar! I had surfed for hours and not found these and just given up. 7+TT is still good on W10 to ungroup taskbar buttons.

I tried them on W11, and they worked and survived a Windows Update. This summer, I will probably make a W10 LTSC build.