Windows 10

What other productivity software are you working with...
jadinolf

Re: Windows 10

Post by jadinolf »

Filehero wrote:
jadinolf wrote:Of course, at my age, there may not be a year two. :)
:mrgreen:
jadinolf wrote:I know but I'm wondering about year two.
As far as I understood, if you decide to upgrade at day 368 after release you simple have to buy a new retail license. But at your age, you should contemplate not to wait that long anyway. :P
I'm still going to relax and see what really happens.

Right now I am thinking of keeping my Windows 7 (four computers) and Buying one copy of Win 10.

We shall see. :)
This post printed on 100% recycled bytes
Windows 10 on six computers

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Some expect MS to demand a yearly (monthly or whatever) fee for using W10. :whistle:

This would mean that upgraders would have the first year free of charge. :eh:

Don't know what to think of this :?

:arrow: continue to use W7 till EndOfLife costs you nothing,
:arrow: upgrade to W10 will start to cost after 1 year :mrgreen:

So: I'll wait for more information...
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I think we'd rightfully see outraged customers if Microsoft at one point says you can upgrade Windows 7, 8, 8.1 for free (which is quite definite now) and then turns around a year later and says they're going to start charging you for upgrades. Although it's possible at some point downstream they could start charging for major upgrades or a subscription service like they've started with Office. If it's reasonable and it included all personnel copies of Windows computers (a family plan), I'd be OK with that. I pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime, why not something for the use and upgrades to Windows.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

MS is going the right way in many areas, I hope they understand behaving like MS again will hurt them like Windows 8 times 10.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

I bet the Windows OS will become completely free for consumers in the near future (the Bing version already is). Only Enterprise editions will remain "license fee'd" ones.

FH

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Filehero wrote:(the Bing version already is)
I thought that was free only to OEMs, like Windows Phone OS.
[ this user is asleep ]

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

SammaySarkar wrote:
Filehero wrote:(the Bing version already is)
I thought that was free only to OEMs, like Windows Phone OS.
Good point, let me rephrase: it's free for hardware consumers. :whistle:

prino

Post by prino »

Not sure if I want to, as there are rumours, cannot find the source any more, that this upgrade will totally prevent using another OS in a dual-boot configuration on some PCs...
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

In a previous l post I mentioned that Microsoft will be upgrading even non-genuine copies of Windows to Windows 10. I read later that, yes it's a true statement, but those non-genuine copies upgraded 10, will still be branded as non-genuine by MS. :)

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

klownboy wrote:In a previous l post I mentioned that Microsoft will be upgrading even non-genuine copies of Windows to Windows 10. I read later that, yes it's a true statement, but those non-genuine copies upgraded 10, will still be branded as non-genuine by MS. :)
Microsoft rephrased there statement, then made it final. That statement is; if you don't currently have a license that is registered by Microsoft of either or both Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, that included the latest service packs and patches. You will have to pay to upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10, I believe that price is anywhere between $150 - $200 US, typical Windows License pricing.

If you own a current license of Windows 7 or Windows 8 or both, and it is registered by Microsoft on and only from July 29 2015 - July 29 2016 you can upgrade to Windows 10 for Free, after July 29 2016 if you haven't upgraded for free, you will have to pay.

Suppose you own a illegal copy of Windows, you have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10 and supposedly Microsoft can cripple things on a non-authentic copy of Windows 10, or you'll get some annoying stuff occurring. If that is your case, then your best bet may be to stick with Windows 7.

As for after a year Windows 10 users will have to a pay that is false information.

highend

Post by highend »

There are at least two problems atm:

- An upgraded Win 7 / 8 (to 10) is bound to the current system. If you have to buy a new mainboard (different brand) the system will require re-registration and you can't do that with your "old" upgraded win 10 license key

- To get a win 10 key you have to upgrade your existing win 7 / 8 to it. Afterwards you can reuse that new key to set it up from scratch (only as long as you don't change your hardware too much). What a waste of time to do things twice instead of letting users convert their license key online...

Don't know why people are "so exited". There isn't much new that win 10 brings to the end user. Cortana? Not usable with a local account. Edge? Come on there are half a dozen other browsers that people use nowadays. Instead we're getting even more metro crap (even the good old start menu is now a xaml app that is far from being as fluid as all old versions of it). A rolling release of an ms os? On several occasions in the last year os updates rendered systems unusable. Will be nice to see people with a normal pc + tablet (+ ms phone) if something like that happens again xD
MS is really listening to their userbase? I tend to differ. Office 2016? Still no cleartype -> Fonts look horrible on non-high dpi screens (same as in O2013).

One and a half month to go...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

highend wrote:"so exited".
even your typos don't like W10. :titter:
[ this user is asleep ]

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

highend wrote:- To get a win 10 key you have to upgrade your existing win 7 / 8 to it. Afterwards you can reuse that new key to set it up from scratch (only as long as you don't change your hardware too much). What a waste of time to do things twice instead of letting users convert their license key online...
Hopefully, there will be work-a-rounds as there were with previous versions. If not, this isn't so bad. It's never been totally pain free getting a new setup or new drives up and running from an old computer system and operating system. I've done enough.

I'm not one of the excited ones, but I realize MS is trying to get one step closer to one operating system for all. I can deal with the previously called, Metro side of it since I don't have to use it. I haven't bothered to install a pre-releases of 10 as I did with 8. You have to keep in mind you are dealing with betas though and :) it's not so bad.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I don't know how the upgrade will work, but I've reserved my copy hoping I can grab the installer for a test drive first.
[ this user is asleep ]

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

I think Windows and all MS products will just wiggle around (something a bit better, something worse, without significant improvement) because MS focus on (1) the fancy of the look and (2) how easy it is for dumb users. The product's capability will never go beyond its target users' capability (the averge Joe).
Similar example is BitDefender, AVG and alot of antivirus products.

And that's good for me. I spent many years to collect and develop portable apps, which do everthing without any MS products. Co-workers will drool at my speed while MS's fancy stuff (Aero, Flip, Tiles ...) kill all my collegues productivity.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488