Windows 10

What other productivity software are you working with...
SkyFrontier

Re: Windows 10

Post by SkyFrontier »

Usage opinions on it, please?
Please mention whether your copy is upgraded or fresh.
Thanks in advance.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade went smoothly; I advice to back up your system, do not force the upgrade and make sure you have the latest patches installed, followed by installing the Windows 10 notification program and simply waiting for your upgrade to arrive.

Remember you must have an authentic licenses of either Windows 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 computer first on Thursday. I wanted to update that one before I attempted it on my Windows 7 machine. I made full images of my C: and D: drives first. I downloaded the Windows 10 iso file and burnt it to a DVD. However I had some issues going that route with serial numbers. It was on a computer with an activated proper copy of Windows 8.1, but I experienced problems using the serial number I had right of the box. I also used the serial obtained by using "ShowKeyPlus" and Speccy". Though it may be because it was upgraded to 8.1, but in any case it irritated me.

Just so you know, I had initially placed the Windows 10 DVD in to start the setup from the bootable DVD on a boot-up, but it told me I had to run setup from the installed Windows. I elected to install over the 8.1 since I hadn't really used this computer too much and it wasn't loaded with junk...basically it wasn't worth the hassel of doing a clean install. So I did and that's when I had problems with serials number. I ended up going the other route, again using Windows 10 "MediaCreationToolx64.exe", but this time I used the option to simply "Install on this computer" rather than "Download the iso". Go here for the DL http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10 Everything is working fine and looks good. No hiccups other than having to reinstall my virus scanner for some reason which wasn't that big a deal. Now I have to spend some time looking at the Windows 10 tips and tricks here http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/ There's a ton of good info on Installing and Clean installs there as well.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

klownboy wrote:I upgraded my Windows 8.1 computer first on Thursday. I wanted to update that one before I attempted it on my Windows 7 machine. I made full images of my C: and D: drives first. I downloaded the Windows 10 iso file and burnt it to a DVD. However I had some issues going that route with serial numbers. It was on a computer with an activated proper copy of Windows 8.1, but I experienced problems using the serial number I had right of the box. I also used the serial obtained by using "ShowKeyPlus" and Speccy". Though it may be because it was upgraded to 8.1, but in any case it irritated me.

Just so you know, I had initially placed the Windows 10 DVD in to start the setup from the bootable DVD on a boot-up, but it told me I had to run setup from the installed Windows. I elected to install over the 8.1 since I hadn't really used this computer too much and it wasn't loaded with junk...basically it wasn't worth the hassel of doing a clean install. So I did and that's when I had problems with serials number. I ended up going the other route, again using Windows 10 "MediaCreationToolx64.exe", but this time I used the option to simply "Install on this computer" rather than "Download the iso". Go here for the DL http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10 Everything is working fine and looks good. No hiccups other than having to reinstall my virus scanner for some reason which wasn't that big a deal. Now I have to spend some time looking at the Windows 10 tips and tricks here http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/ There's a ton of good info on Installing and Clean installs there as well.
You should have installed the Windows 10 notification program; and simply waited. :) You're in a queue; when the upgrade is ready all serials numbers are verified and if all goes well then :tup: :tup: :tup: . :) I hope my other upgrade comes before the end of the month :(

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks for the inputs, people. I'm still wondering on what to do. All works ok, and I'm afraid of breaking it because of features that won't have a big positive impact.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

highend

Post by highend »

Which features from Win 10 are you interested in? Cortana? Edge? Universal apps? The Windows store to buy / get any? Hello authentification? Multiple desktops? DirectX 12?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Precisely.
Everything I read about doesn't sound that great from my workflow point of view. I'm one of those people that are still waiting for the "wheel of words" (can't recall the name of the Vista/XP? vaporware that would be revolutionary on file management - which some credit as downgraded to indexed search from start menu. Have read about it on those... how they call? Blocks of paper put together with glue... moga... mega... mega... zine, I guess).

I'm currently trying to emulate a Fences-like feature to quickly access my recently opened stuff. Multi-locations, recents, xy hotlist, paperfolder, mru+regular listing, mini-tree for files, all mixed up in a single smart feature that could put my latest opened files in a session, prioritizing the most used ones session-independent.

For instance after win98 this ( win 8 ) is the first time I feel comfortable again with high contrast themes. Never read a single line about it. I'm afraid I may be missing a little something wonder in win 10 (besides the looks - wow, THAT'S beauty!) but can't pay the price of regret.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Jeez. Am I in the 2k's back again...??? First, my hiCon setup. Now, reading more about Cortana I'm missing my funny chats with m.i.n.d.star... What's coming next? Sacrifice Relaoded? Gladiator: the Red Planet Patriot? :mrgreen:
Thanks my free time's finishing... :wink:

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Finished upgrading a machine to Windows10, only hiccup was nVidia Drivers and one or two software not updated to Windows 10 :( :) I did not force the upgrade; which is the best route !

I like the new start menu they have mastered it !

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Finsihed Upgrading, too.

First impressions: looks and feels good! :)

hickups so far:
- Yamaha ASIO audio drivers (Steinberg MR816x) generate drop outs every once in a while
- Spybot Search&Destroy seem sto be incompatible with Windows Defender (maybe due to the automatically downloaded :evil: and installed :twisted: :twisted: the Post Win10 Spybot-install.exe) -> deinstalling it cured it (maybe I should leave it uninstalled, because it never has found or interfered with anything ever since I did install it first 5 years ago anyway)

mixed feelings so far: all this "Let us do this automatically for you". Though I do understand how this helps setting up and maintaining a more robust and secure (hopefully!) world wide system deployment infrastructure, it somewhat has a smell to me. Otherwise I did have installed all notified system and software updates manually in the past anyway. :whistle: Maybe I'm simply too paranoid here.

The rest of the "spy" stuff which has a switch I've turned off. This includes Cortana, which sounds absolutely fabulous on paper. But I think I'm too "old-fashioned" to accept that some tool out there gathers a perfect profile of mine. :naughty:

FH

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I haven't begun to use Cortana on Windows10; I have used it on my Windows Phone; which can be faster if I don't want to type what I'm searching for. Cortana is better then Siri, hands down. There are some things that I've been using on my Windows Phone for over a year, which is somewhat integrated into Windows10 !

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

CookieMonster wrote:....that I've been using on my Windows Phone for over a year, which is somewhat integrated into Windows10 !
Yes, so far I welcome the transfer of the notification center onto the desktop. And I heavily welcome the arrival of on-the-fly-resizable command prompts in 2015!

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Filehero wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:....that I've been using on my Windows Phone for over a year, which is somewhat integrated into Windows10 !
Yes, so far I welcome the transfer of the notification center onto the desktop. And I heavily welcome the arrival of on-the-fly-resizable command prompts in 2015!
Notification on the desktop was taken from Windows Phone, quite convenient. Windows10 tops Windows7, although I had no problems with Windows8.1, Microsoft took the best from Vista/Windows7/Windows8.1 and brought Windows10 :)

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Well, right now Windows 10 is killing my laptop. Each keystroke takes about a minute to process.

I have to say it feels like a bad idea I upgraded.
Right now I'd rather go back to Windows 8.1

EDIT: Awesome, Windows 10 doesn't run smoothly with Intel processors. So... Don't update if you have a Intel processor!

EDIT 2: Ok, after restarting Windows 10 it did some more update patching... Now it works slightly better than before... Still horrible but not as bad as before. Still can't recomend updating on Intel-based Computers.

EDIT 3: Ok, starting today Windows 10 seems to run kind of smoothly... Well... As smoothly as you can expect it to be. Took a couple of patches that needed to be downloaded and installed first to run decently. Well... I've still got 27 days to evaluate... (There's a downgrade option available to return to your prior version in the system recovery available for 30 days after Windows 10 install...)
Last edited by Garonne on 09 Aug 2015 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

these buttons what are they supposed to do? i hit them and nothing happens
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (47.87 KiB) Viewed 3672 times