[Hardware]: Logitech MX1100 mouse successor

What other productivity software are you working with...
Filehero

[Hardware]: Logitech MX1100 mouse successor

Post by Filehero »

Hi all,

my "beloved" (meaning best mouse ever) Logitech MX 1100 is almost 6 years old, and I suspect "her" canto pass away every day now. :(

To be repared I'm therefore looking for a successor. I already did read some long mouse recommendation threads, but they all appear to be focused on "gamors". I've also visited the Roccat, Steelseries, Zowie etc. websites. But the more I read (and notice the sheer number of brands and pieces) the more confused I get. So I thought I ask here because I suspect a significant overlap in usage patterns among the active board members.

I'm actually after:
- most important: top-notch build quality, especially for the switches and the wheel (metal axis)
- 4D wheel with middle-click function, free-run mode would be gorgious (seems to be Logitech exclusive)
- 4 more "programable"/assignable buttons
- no touch, no "portable" mice (even for finger claw to small)

So far black-listed:
- Logitech: Performance Mouse MX, M510 (poor wheels), M500, M560 (not enough buttons) and everything below 30$

Microsoft seems not to offer anything having more than 4 assignable buttons anymore (though these sculpt mice look interesting), let alone the also phantastic Intelli-mice

Are those gaming brands just over-priced hyped brands or do they also have some real gems? What do you use?

Thanks,
Filehero
Last edited by Filehero on 27 Dec 2014 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Marco

Re: [Hardware]: Logitech MX1100 mouse successor

Post by Marco »

Interesting coincidence, I too am looking for a mouse as well.
Can you explain what's the "free-run" mode? I have a Microsoft mouse and its wheel rotates smoothly, there are no "ticks" inside (I don't know how else to explain). Is this what you mean?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Marco wrote:Can you explain what's the "free-run" mode? I have a Microsoft mouse and its wheel rotates smoothly, there are no "ticks" inside (I don't know how else to explain). Is this what you mean?
Exactly. With the MX I can activate/deactivate it with a dedicated button close to the wheel. Most of the time I use "tick"-mode, but in large documents I use free-run. In this free mode, one can "feel" and hear the build quality of the wheel mechanism. After all the years it is still is rotating perfectly even and "forever". A wet hardware dream. :wink:

What are your favorites?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I thought you might get a kick out of this article since it mirrors what you said on the MX1100. http://techreport.com/blog/20907/a-eulo ... tech-mouse

I have a M705 on my Windows 8.1 machine that I'm not crazy about. I just can't get the sensitivity the way I want it and I do not like the wheel as much as the mouse I've been using a long time on my Window 7 computer, a MX 600 (according to SetPoint - I can't find a model number on the mouse). I love the Anywhere Mouse for use with the laptop...it does work anywhere, it's solid, but not as many buttons as I'd like. Over a year ago I bought a high end Logitech gaming mouse though I'm not a gamer just for the buttons and because it was on sale on Newegg. I can't remember the model (it's in a bedroom closet where someone is sleeping at the moment). I haven't opened the box yet.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Ken,

yes, the article nails it almost perfectly. :appl: Thanks for the link.

Regarding Logitech: strictly checking my said requirements I always end up with the Logitech Proteus Core G502. Despite the X-Wing fightor gamor ( :lol: ) look - it may be worth a try. Anyone around "knowing" this mouse?

But the biggest surprise: I hadn't expected the Microsoft lineup having become that poor, apparently they do have nothing to offer for the "advanced" user anymore.

Cheers,
Filehero

Marco

Post by Marco »

Filehero wrote:What are your favorites?
There are no favorites, everyone dies after a while. And klownboy's article is sooooooo true: it's always the middle click for me that dies first. And can't live without it.
I have been having a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 for 18 months, and the middle click is starting to failing. In addition, the left click is sometimes interpreted as double click, but I notice that is something very smart 'cause it kind of actually know when I'm about to double click...
Before this, I had the Logitech Desktop Wave combo (the earlier generation, not the one available now). Same story, after 4 years the middle click began to fail. I threw it out of the window one day.

I'll check if I find something from HP, that was the first mouse I got back in 2001 and it was rock solid. Sure, no laser tracking, no back/forw buttons, nothing. But maybe they are keeping up the pace with competitors while still making something solid... I hope.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

what's wrong with DIY transplant surgeries? :ugeek: prolong as much as possible the life your beloved. :wink: :mrgreen:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

This guy on Ebay must think he can sell them at $389.99 to those who can't live without the Logitech MX 1100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-Logi ... 2599fba5b5 Unbelievable.

It's the G700 that I have still unopened in the box. I think you can use this one wired or unwired. Over 1010 review on Amazon. I see the G700 now has an "s" a the end of the Model number. Mine is probably 2 years old in the box. One of these days I'll have to try it out for some button madness!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/ref ... aba2c9cbda
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

SammaySarkar wrote:what's wrong with DIY transplant surgeries?
Lacking surgery skills and experiences? :mrgreen:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

klownboy wrote:This guy on Ebay must think he can sell them at $389.99 to those who can't live without the Logitech MX 1100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-Logi ... 2599fba5b5
If you order via amazon.de you can get a US MX 1100 at "only" 317$ including shipping: http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B ... 1419698447. A real bargain. :lol:

Well, currently top of the list is the Logitech Proteus Core G502. Has anyone experiences with those gaming brands? Actually, they should provide a distinct quality because they're supposed to be build for heavy usage, shouldn't they.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Update: I've purchased a Roccat XTD Optical (B-Stock).

First impressions are good,
- driver software looks gamerish but seems pretty spot on (needs to be excluded from Windows Defender protection though, otherwise saving the settings onto the mouse needs ages)
- feels and looks good so far

Now I hope it will last quite a time.

Cheers,
FH