Window Controller (?) alternatives?

What other productivity software are you working with...
bdeshi

Window Controller (?) alternatives?

Post by bdeshi »

DM2 (Dialog Mate 2) can make windows topmost, roll up, resize, transparent and many others. More usefully, all these features can be used by modifier+clicking on window titlebar buttons (max-min-close). And the app almost has no memory usage.
(ed: oh, and it has some pretty interesting plugins: cdControl,volumeControl,winEnabler...)
The problem is, DM2 is an ancient software, and many modern programs take issue with it. (I know Firefox does.)

So any suggestions on the best replacement for DM2?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

binocular222

Re: Window Controller (?) alternatives?

Post by binocular222 »

Actual window manager
I purchased a license, but no longer use it. AHK can do most of that thing easily.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I'm a big fan of WindowSpace.

It bills itself more as a way to move, re-size, and snap windows, but it also includes the always on top, roll-up, tray, and transparency features you mentioned.

I forget which features are only available if you purchase but at $25 for a lifetime license it's not too expensive.

Also, in case you were not familiar - whenever I'm looking for alternatives I start out at AlternativeTo. I don't place much value on their reviews or rankings but it's generally a decent place to quickly see the names of similar products.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

ActualWindowManager: tried it, couldn't rationalize it's memory usage. I know AHK is a great candidate, but I keep thinking it wouldn't be light on resources either.

And yes, I frequent AT (even have a search shortcut for it in firefox). But most apps there, in this case, only provided a subset of features. (and who'd bother to check out all 20+ suggestions!) The best candidates were eXtraButtons and ACM.
Well, WindowsSpace sounds like a good bet, thanks! ed: and found Sticky Previews, cool!
[ this user is asleep ]

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

I'm using Dexpot as a virtual desktop manager and would like have one desktop only for XYplorer, is there a way or a program which could make XYplorer stay always maximized and sticky, not "always on top", but in the back, instead of the desktop?

mkolaski

Post by mkolaski »

I use VirtuaWin as my virtual desktop app and that has an option to display an app across all desktops

tux.

Post by tux. »

Dexpot as a virtual desktop manager, eXtraButtons to spam the titlebar with buttons. :D

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

SammaySarkar wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:I'm a big fan of WindowSpace.
Well, WindowsSpace sounds like a good bet, thanks! ed: and found Sticky Previews, cool!
@TQ: Okay, I'm sold. Thanks again.
[ this user is asleep ]