Image Editing

What other productivity software are you working with...
admin
Site Admin

Image Editing

Post by admin »

Up to now I used "Adobe Photoshop", but I want to keep my new system free from any Adobe products. Any suggestions (it should be able to import PSD files including layers)?

Filehero

Re: Image Editing

Post by Filehero »

Sure,

from Germany, also coding maniacs: PhotoLine*.

Though the looks might be dated, the functional power is real - especially the non-destructive aspects are way beyond Adobe.

Cheers,
Filehero

*: Don't let yourself get confused by the clunky web site appearance.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I think GIMP is the one that I've heard most often given on various places like http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-photoshop/ but I have no actual exp with it as my ole basic Adobe Photoshop Elements that came with scanner years ago is enough for me...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

tux.

Post by tux. »

+1 for PhotoLine (you should read the tutorials first) with a random fallback to Paint.NET where it's applicable. GIMP is mighty but has a weird handling (a bit like Photoshop on a Mac :mrgreen: ).

I used to use PaintShop Pro for years, but Corel ruined it.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

tux. wrote:I used to use PaintShop Pro for years, but Corel ruined it.
Oh, did they ever. :x

Yes, Photoline is quite good.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Nighted wrote:Oh, did they ever. :x
Yep. Their next death candidate: Bibble. :evil:

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 27 Jan 2016 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
Acknowledging the fact that:
- there's no real replacement to Photoshop production-wise — but that whateverelse-wise (price, flexibility, customer-friendliness...), it's a huge letdown,
- accordingly, shifting one's expectations

I second trying:
- Gimp (the closest alternative)
- Photoline

I suggest trying:
- PhotoFiltre Studio (there's a free v7 and a 30€ v10)
- Photoscape (free — more user-friendliness, less production-friendliness)

Regarding artweaver, it's a really interesting alternative too — but to Painter more than Photoshop, more if you're into illustration (i.e. you draw and use a graphic tablet).

In any case, to supplement the use of Photoshop (or any alternative), (plus, depending on one's needs, the use of an image management tool, e.g. Lightroom, Picasa...) I strongly recommend a generic manipulation tool for everyday needs:
- Faststone Viewer (free — quite powerful and very efficient, but no compositing). People underestimate how much (and fast) can be done with a tool like this.
- or of course, one of the usual alternatives (that may be a bit more powerful but IMHO a bit less efficient): XnView, IrfanView, ACDsee

tux.

Post by tux. »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:- there's no real replacement to Photoshop production-wise — but that whateverelse-wise (price, flexibility, customer-friendliness...), it's a huge letdown,
- accordingly, shifting one's expectations
The GIMP can replace Photoshop AFAIK. Still I don't like its "usability" (or the lack thereof).

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

tux. wrote:The GIMP can replace Photoshop AFAIK. Still I don't like its "usability" (or the lack thereof).
Pretty much what I meant! ;)
When you need to do complicated things really fast in a production work-flow, PS managed to keep its edge over the years somehow (one of the few softs that really did)...
But apart from this case-scenario, it doesn't justify its slowwwww pace of improvement (they would have Don commited right away! :kidding: ), specially compared to its high upgrade/price-tag.
And especially compared to The Gimp... 8)

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

(it should be able to import PSD files including layers)?
The GIMP can replace Photoshop AFAIK.
If my memory serves me, the Gimp doesn't handle layers from PSD files very well. But it's easy to check.

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p ... p_portable
Kind regards
Regmos

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Regmos wrote:
The GIMP can replace Photoshop AFAIK.
If my memory serves me, the Gimp doesn't handle layers from PSD files very well. But it's easy to check.
Another one: afaik Gimp still does not offer full support for 16bit color depth. Not that I think everybody will need it (it's rather an issue for some photographers), but it's one of those features "pipelined" for many, many years now.

Cheers,
Filehero

tux.

Post by tux. »

Filehero wrote:Another one: afaik Gimp still does not offer full support for 16bit color depth.
Already fixed in GIMP 2.9/2.10.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks everybody! I'll check out Photoline...