Office Suites

What other productivity software are you working with...
tux.

Office Suites

Post by tux. »

So, after a couple of years, I decided to leave LibreOffice (random crashes, lame performance, bad support in case of file format errors, several other small issues) for something better. No, not Microsoft Office. I own a Microsoft Office 2013 license and it's bad. Really, really bad.

So I'm basically stuck between two options: Corel WordPerfect Office and Softmaker Office.
(Admittedly, I mainly need the spreadsheet software. Letters are soooo 90s.)

While the latter has a slightly better price tag, I haven't had a chance to compare those directly. Softmaker has an ugly icon set, WordPerfect seems to have problems with certain Excel files. :?

Has anyone of you used both office suites side-by-side and could poke me into the right direction?

binocular222

Re: Office Suites

Post by binocular222 »

Tried all the softs you mentions, now I settled with Microsoft Office 2010 (2013 is a huge let down)
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

tux.

Post by tux. »

I could as well stick with Excel 2003 but I'd prefer to have updates every now and then...

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

So I'm basically stuck between two options: Corel WordPerfect Office and Softmaker Office......While the latter has a slightly better price tag.
You could take Ashampoo Office 2012 for a spin. It's Softmaker inside, end their prices tend to drop, as you approach the end of the trial.

It's been a while since I tried it (big MS Office 2007 fan), but I remember it to perform quite well.
Kind regards
Regmos

tux.

Post by tux. »

So, essentially, a cheaper Softmaker with nothing more?

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

Yes, as far as I know.

Ashampoo only contains "Word", "Excel" and "PowerPoint" though, while the full Softmaker also has an email client and a macro funktion.

Normally Ashampoo's trial versions (30-40 days) periodically promts you to buy the program, and the discount grows, the closer you get to the expiration date.
Kind regards
Regmos

tux.

Post by tux. »

Well, as the question is "Softmaker or WordPerfect Office?", "Softmaker with a different name" still answers my question in a way.

Any arguments for that?

murdock01

Post by murdock01 »

Try this:

http://alternativeto.net/software/micro ... ice-suite/

The site is called AlternativeTo. Its nice when I am looking for some software that I need.
Hope this helps.

tux.

Post by tux. »

I've used SoftMaker Office 2012 now for a while but am currently giving WordPerfect Office X7 a try. It still can't open .xls files with conditional formatting correctly but still has a less weird UI. The never-ending story...

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

tux. wrote:...The never-ending story...
Don't know if the story has ended, but have a look at this.

http://wps.com/office-free

I've been keeping an eye on the changelog for a while, and when this happened, I decided to give it another try.

It took care of all the missing features/annoyences, and since they added PDF support (convert/merge/split), the only thing missing, in the free version, is macro support.

I've been using it for a month, and so far, I have no complaints.
Kind regards
Regmos

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Regmos wrote:
tux. wrote:...The never-ending story...
Don't know if the story has ended, but have a look at this.

http://wps.com/office-free

I've been keeping an eye on the changelog for a while, and when this happened, I decided to give it another try.

It took care of all the missing features/annoyences, and since they added PDF support (convert/merge/split), the only thing missing, in the free version, is macro support.

I've been using it for a month, and so far, I have no complaints.
Looks very good. Sent it to my expert and she will get back to me.

Many thanks.
This post printed on 100% recycled bytes
Windows 10 on six computers

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

Not sure if this thread has passed its sell-by date. Have you tried . . .
I don't recommend the Suite on slow computers. :wink: