what's your favorite media player?

What other productivity software are you working with...
suslo

Re: what's your favorite media player?

Post by suslo » 17 Jul 2018 19:04

audio (play) --- foobar
video (play) --- pot player

audio (edit) --- audition

audio (convert) --- foobar
video (convert) --- XMedia Recode

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog » 08 Sep 2018 01:16

AIMP - it's very good at making ad hoc playlists. It also has a good audio converter which works with cue files, any bitrate, and is quite versatile. I like the "infinite" skin quite a lot. I find it more straightforward than Foobar. It also has a good remote for Android. It's developed by a Russian and is donation ware with no nags.

My second pick is the one I use on my Android, only from the Windows store. For Android, it's head and shoulders above anything else in terms of features and sound quality. Its main advantages are it has a fantastic parametric equalizer and compressor built in. I find the compressor useful when there's a lot of noise in the background and you want to reduce the dynamic range of, especially, classical music. It's disadvantages are it basically has a phone interface, it's not free (though not much). It also can't handle a huge (really huge - a few hundred gig is fine) library: Neutron Music Player.

And I keep using foobar2000 now and then. Extremely flexible, but more hassle than I want sometimes to just listen to my music with a setup I'm pleased with.

I'm using Neutron from my computer more and more. Though, being a metro app, it likes having things in its catalog, you can pass it a cue file or playlist via the open menu. It's the fastest of any player I've ever used for tweaking the sound via both equalizer and compressor, both of which I use extensively. (Very handy for 1970s opera recordings which can be a little harsh, for example.) Plus, I use speakers, open headphones and closed, and each likes a little taming in different ways. Other players are too slow to customize the sound for device plus type of music. Can't beat the compressor for listening to things at night or with a fan on from speakers.

Pascal P

Post by Pascal P » 06 Apr 2019 13:58

For most of my software, my philosophy is to search first open source and light releases (use few CPU, HDD space and RAM space), but when free or commercial software are really better I use it (like XYplorer ;) ).

For audio player, I use XMPlay.
It's very light, read a lot of formats, has nice skins, allow a lot of customization and...
work with global shortcuts (may be controlled in background when ye are on other applications, so I use Ctrl+up to play/pause, Ctrl+Alt+Left for previous track, Ctrl+Alt+Rigth for next track...).

For video player, I use PotPlayer, MPC-HC and sometimes VLC.
PotPayer is not an open source software but I choose it because it offer a lot of customization, and mainly allow speed control without pitching sound thanks to X and C shortcuts.
VLC do it too, but is more complicated and less ergonomic.
MPC is very robust and work fine for 1× speed.

For simple video editing VirtualDub2 is a very good tool (allow to crop/join streams without recalculate it, but work as a classic video encoder too).
MKVToolnix and gMKVExtractGUI are great for cropping/joining videos and extract audio from files.
FFMpeg is better again, but only work as a cmd (no GUI).