for the latest XYplorer BETA version
Code: Select all
v14.20.0301 - 2014-06-28 17:29
+++ Paper Folders: Paper Folders are simple text files (UTF-16LE) that contain
the full paths to items, one per line. The files are located in <xydata>\Paper.
XYplorer employs those files as virtual folders.
The syntax is simple, just prefix "paper:" to the base name of the text
Refers to: <xydata>\Paper\foo.txt
Consequently the characters used for a Paper Folder name must be valid in
a filename, and they are not case-sensitive.
The objective was maximum integration of Paper Folders. Ideally they
should work just like normal folders. This has been largely achieved:
- History, Recent Locations, Hotlist, Favorites, Tabs, Catalog are supported.
- Visual Filters supported. Examples:
paper:Test|ageM: w //modified this week
- Quick Search supported. Examples:
paper:Test?1 w /fld=ageM //modified last week
- Also Multi Location Quick Searches are supported. Examples:
- Branch View supported:
- Find Files supported (Paper Folder as searched location).
- Breadcrumb Bar supported: Click "paper:" or the triangle right of it to
pop a list of all stored Paper Folders. Cool!
- Custom File Icons supported. Example:
- Folder View Settings supported. (yeah)
- The right-click menu of items in a Paper Folder offers to go to the
original location (just like with search results).
The menu also offers a command to remove items from the Paper Folder
(they will not be deleted from the file system).
- Rename and Delete operations can performed from within Paper Folders.
They affect the real files!
- All possible Copy/Move operations to and from Paper Folders are
supported, including Paste, Copy To, Drag-and-Drop, etc.
- Operations *to* Paper Folders just add pointers to the Paper
Folder files: they never involve real file operations.
The mouse pointer is a black plus.
- Operations *from* Paper Folders operate on the real locations of the
files and affect the files as if they were performed in the real
The mouse pointer is the normal plus (copy) or minus (move).
- You can also drag items from one Paper Folder to another.
- Go to Last Target works after adding items to a Paper Folder.
- Thumbnails can be cached for Paper Folders.
- You can tag items in Paper Folders.
- Custom columns work in Paper Folders.
How to Create a Paper Folder:
- See the menu functions described in the next section.
Remarks on Usage:
- When you copy/move (this makes no difference here!) items to a Paper
Folder they will be appended to the bottom of the list.
- You can drag-and-drop items to Paper Folders in the list, across Panes,
onto foreground and background tabs, onto the Toolbar (droppable
buttons), and onto the Catalog.
What's the Use of Paper Folders:
- You can use them as temporary or permanent file collections for viewing
or further processing. Contrary to normal folders the files in a Paper
Folder can be located in totally different real locations, even all over
the network. And they take almost no additional space since internally
it's just a list of pointers.
- You can use them to store search results. Going back to the Paper Folder
will often be much faster and easier than repeating the search.
- You can use them as light table to manually arrange photos in a custom
sort order that is permanent.
- You can use them as simple reports since the Paper Folder files
themselves are simple text files that can be viewed in any editor.
- You can design your virtual folders in a text editor.
- You can share them, and carry them along on a stick.
- You can have as many Paper Folders as you like.
- Paper Folders can also be located in subfolders of <xydata>\Paper:
Refers to: <xydata>\Paper\Sub\foo.txt
- Paper Folders can even be located in any location if you pass the full
path, and does not have to be named *.txt:
Refers to: E:\Test\somewhere\foo.dat
So you can also do this when the current file is a plain text file
containing a list of items:
- Paper Folders have a static nature. They are not sensitive to changes in
the file system. Any stale items in a Paper Folder are automatically
removed from it when the folder is shown the next time.
Exception: File operations perfomed on items in a currently opened Paper
Folder will be reflected by the folder as excepted (as if it would be a
- Paper plane icon is by VisualPharm (http://www.visualpharm.com/). Thanks!
+ Menu View: Added sub menu "Paper Folders" with the following commands:
- New: Create new empty Paper Folder.
- Open: Open existing Paper Folder.
- Save: Save Paper Folder to file.
You normally don't have to do this -- saving fully automatic. But there
might be reasons to perform an explicit save now, so here is the command
to do it.
- Save As...: Save current Paper Folder under a new name and load it.
- Save Copy As...: Save current Paper Folder under a new name but keep the
current one loaded.
- Remove Selected Items: Well, it does what it says.
Note that this does not delete the items from the file system!
- Empty Paper Folder: Remove all items from the Paper Folder.
Again, this does not delete the items from the file system!
- Toggle Paper Folder:
On a normal folder, create a Paper Folder from the current list.
Only Browse and Find tabs can be converted to a Paper Folder.
On a Paper Folder, go back to the last used normal folder in this
+ Toolbar: Added button "Paper Folders". It shows the "Paper Folders"
submenu as dropdown.
+++ Permanent Custom Sort Order: Now here is a warmly welcome side-effect of
1) Use the "Manual Sorting" list style to realize a custom sort order.
2) Set the sort order to "Unsorted"
3) Save Folder View Settings.
4) BANG! Now you have a folder with a Permanent Custom Sort Order and
When you now manually modify the sort order it will be automatically
stored and remembered when you next open the folder.
Another major feature accomplished.
+ Soft Columns: Added "Configure Custom Column <n>..." to the context menu of
those Soft Columns that are assigned to Custom Columns. Saves some clicks
when you want to edit the Custom Column definition.
+ Custom Event Actions (CEA): Added another custom event, "Double-click
on the tree's/list's white space" (currently only as a tweak).
You can currently choose between the following actions:
0 = Default action (factory default)
1 = Go Top (Go to the top of the tree/list)
2 = Go Up
3 = Go Back
4 = Scroll In View (Scroll so that the focused item is in view)
X (any other value) = Do nothing
Note that if set to 0 the behavior is controlled by "Configuration |
Menus, Mouse, Safety | Mouse | Dbl-click on empty space goes up" (this
option will become obsolete once CEA_TreeListDoubleClickOnWhite is
elevated from tweak status).
! Rename Special | Batch Rename: Did not resolve property variables per-file
anymore (since about 3 months ago). Fixed. Now this Batch Rename term
works as expected (appends the dimensions to all selected image files):
! Configuration: Dialog would slightly cover the taskbar under certain
* MLS: Internally updated to version 8.50.
> TRANSLATORS: Please wait until Reference_8.50.lng is uploaded.
You will be notified if you have subscribed to this thread:
the latest BETA version choose a download package: (1) Installer Package
, (2) No-Install Package
Note that BETA versions are work in progress and might contain fresh bugs. You have been warned.
It's a good idea to backup your complete XYplorer settings (menu File | Settings Special | Backup Application Data Folder...)
before running a new BETA version. This will also help in fixing any fresh bugs.