Problems posting in the forum?!

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tom_os

Problems posting in the forum?!

Post by tom_os »

Anyone else having problems posting in the forum ?
Try a test reply below -
if it doesnt work ... eh ... maybe PM Don or me, thanks

I was able to start a new thread earlier - now I'm having problems with that too - but when I try to reply I repeatedly get the message "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form."
Got the same message when sending Don a PM about it but that worked on the third attempt or so

I'll attempt replying to this (it'll prob work then !!)

[edit] I'm unable to reply :? [/edit]
[edit] got one warning message each time when starting thread & editing but reply just doesnt work for me - warnings ad infinitum[/edit]
[edit] forgot to mention - using Firefox but having same problem with Opera - just tried clearing the cache in FF but no dif
Maybe it's just a bad day on this computer (=me?!) but it's as well to ask in case :? [/edit]
[edit] maybe I've got some weird virus...doesnt work with IE either :(
Last edited by tom_os on 06 Jun 2008 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems posting in the forum?!

Post by admin »

tom_os wrote:Anyone else having problems posting in the forum ?
Well, I never had such problems and I have no idea where they come from... weird! :?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tom_os wrote:Anyone else having problems posting in the forum ?
Never had that problem that I know of with any phpBB forum.
Have you tried it and had same problem with IE?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Darwin

Post by Darwin »

No problems replying here, Tom!
Michael Plant

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tom_os wrote:maybe I've got some weird virus...doesnt work with IE either :(
Can you try from another computer? Just to make sure that the problem is in your system, not on the server.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

No problem here neither
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

tom_os

Post by tom_os »

testing again
havent had a chance to use another computer but if this works I dont have to worry...

EDIT/
Hah!!! it worked - sorry bout all that I really have no idea what was going on there...

tom_os

Post by tom_os »

I'm able to post now in Opera but not in Firefox ..

will try clearing the cache & maybe restarting computer & see does that make a difference - I have a habit of keeping a large number of tabs open in FF & leaving them logged in - eg here -
maybe that doesnt help...

tom_os

Post by tom_os »

I'm only now getting to test if I can post from another computer

Is there a forum for the forum software where I could go see if they can help with my problem?
Whats the forum software called?

thanks, Tom

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tom_os wrote:Is there a forum for the forum software where I could go see if they can help with my problem?
The software is phpBB as shown at bottom of all forum pages...I'm not sure what vers Don is running which would be required, I think, to get help on this...based on copyright dates showing (2001,2005), it's likely an older vers.

Yes, there is a forum for that software...it's part of the http://www.phpBB.com site.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
tom_os wrote:Is there a forum for the forum software where I could go see if they can help with my problem?
The software is phpBB as shown at bottom of all forum pages...I'm not sure what vers Don is running which would be required, I think, to get help on this...based on copyright dates showing (2001,2005), it's likely an older vers.

Yes, there is a forum for that software...it's part of the http://www.phpBB.com site.
It's the latest version of phpBB 2.0: phpBB 2.0.23

tom_os

Post by tom_os »

okay,
I posted about this problem in that forum
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p5842135

here's the relevant replies
ChrisRLG wrote:As a moderator here I took the option to check which ISP you are using.

The most common fault for this type of problem is the use of an ISP which is using cached proxy servers.

They do this to reduce the bandwidth that thier customers use, thereby keeping thier costs lower.

The downside to this is you may often change IP's, while in the same session, while viewing forums.

Forum software is often configered to note the IP that you are on, as part of the session data, so if you change IP's by a significant amount (say more than just the last set of numbers - 123.123.123.xxx) it will assume you are not the same user that was previously active with that session.

That is the case with the v3 line (which is able to adjust the complexity of that checking), not so sure about the security checking for this in the v2 line that you are using - but that may well be the issue.
stevemaury wrote:There is a simple MOD for version 2 which reduces the number of IP address octets checked, at some cost in security. If the adminstrator of your board wishes to implement it, he/she can search this forum for it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tom_os wrote:okay,
I posted about this problem in that forum
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p5842135

here's the relevant replies
ChrisRLG wrote:As a moderator here I took the option to check which ISP you are using.

The most common fault for this type of problem is the use of an ISP which is using cached proxy servers.

They do this to reduce the bandwidth that thier customers use, thereby keeping thier costs lower.

The downside to this is you may often change IP's, while in the same session, while viewing forums.

Forum software is often configered to note the IP that you are on, as part of the session data, so if you change IP's by a significant amount (say more than just the last set of numbers - 123.123.123.xxx) it will assume you are not the same user that was previously active with that session.

That is the case with the v3 line (which is able to adjust the complexity of that checking), not so sure about the security checking for this in the v2 line that you are using - but that may well be the issue.
stevemaury wrote:There is a simple MOD for version 2 which reduces the number of IP address octets checked, at some cost in security. If the adminstrator of your board wishes to implement it, he/she can search this forum for it.
Ok, that's clear now. However you are (apparently) the first to experience this, and MOD maintenance is a PITA when upgrading the forum software, which I have to do quite often. Maybe you can talk to your ISP?

eurytos

Post by eurytos »

I haven't looked in awhile but I had problems with an ISP that was doing that and there was a way to bypass the proxy.

I am sorry but I can't remember if it was a simple config issue or if I had to install custom firmware in order to enable the functionality.