Text Editors

What other productivity software are you working with...
xman

Re: Text Editors

Post by xman »

I use PSPad. I used to use UltraEdit, but switched over, because PSPad can do mostly everything I needed from UltraEdit, is more lightweight and is free. I also use 010 Editor for hex editing/viewing tasks.

Also, XY's "extract text" feature is very useful and is missing even from many text/hex editors (at least those that I am familiar with).

tux.

Post by tux. »

My favorite text editor? Depends on what I want to do.

On my server, there is not much choice: nano, some Vim and Emacs (learning the latter) every now and then...
On my Windows machine, I have recently switched from GVim to Sublime Text 2 as my "all-purpose editor" because it is fantastic and well worth the few bucks; however, I'm still playing with some Emacs and (self-compiled) Vim builds every now and then. You can do amazing things with them.

Brother John

Post by Brother John »

For basic editing I use SciTE because it’s extremely fast, robust and virtually clutter-free. The only annoyance is that it doesn’t automatically recognise UTF-8 text files if they don’t have a BOM – so basically it doesn’t auto-recognise UTF-8 text files.

Then there’s PsPad mainly for HTML/CSS because of the great auto-complete popup dialogs. Haven’t found anything like that in another editor and it makes writing HTML tags with all those id and class and other attributes really comfortable. However PsPad becomes slow with large files and auto line wrapping enabled and can be a bit unstable at times.
cu
Brother John

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brother John wrote:The only annoyance is that it doesn’t automatically recognise UTF-8 text files if they don’t have a BOM – so basically it doesn’t auto-recognise UTF-8 text files.
Weird given that even XY can do it. It's just about 5 lines of code.

tux.

Post by tux. »

"Even XY"... may I quote you on that? :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tux. wrote:"Even XY"... may I quote you on that? :D
:lol:

tux.

Post by tux. »

Is that a Yes? :mrgreen:

Brother John

Post by Brother John »

admin wrote:Weird given that even XY can do it. It's just about 5 lines of code.
Absolutely weird. I image it’s not more complicated than “Start with system code page and when you stumble over the first token that is definitely UTF-8 then switch.”
I mean it’s not like SciTE wouldn’t read the whole file anyway. Well, SciTE is open-source … but I’m not that annoyed to scratch my own itch. ;)
cu
Brother John

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I continue to use Emacs for some 23 years now, specifically the GNU Emacs port for Windows. There's virtually nothing it cannot do, and if it doesn't do something you need, you can usually find some code to do it, or write it yourself (in LISP). But you have to be a bit of geek to use it effectively, I will admit.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tux. wrote:Is that a Yes? :mrgreen:
No, it's a LOL.

Quoting somebody out of context is like stabbing a knife in his back.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Context is overrated.
Jerry wrote:I continue to use Emacs for some 23 years now, specifically the GNU Emacs port for Windows.
I thought we're talking about text editors here.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Surely you're jesting tux, considering your name you should be familiar with emacs.

tux.

Post by tux. »

I know Emacs, I just can't handle it, having been a Vim guy for years. Even on Windows.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

tux. wrote:I know Emacs, I just can't handle it, having been a Vim guy for years. Even on Windows.
Ah yes, the old Emacs vs VI rivalry. Of course, I would say the same thing about VI ! Never could stand that separate command and editing mode. It's really apples and oranges, though. Emacs is to VI like the Boeing 777 is to a WW1 Sopwith prop plane. That's not being boastful, it's just commenting on the different degrees of functionality and extensibility.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Emacs has, at least, the viper mode which makes it almost usable...