What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Check your Qs & Cast your votes...

What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Windows 98
0
No votes
Windows ME
0
No votes
Windows NT
0
No votes
Windows 2000
0
No votes
Windows XP (32-bit)
55
35%
Windows XP (64-bit)
1
1%
Windows Vista (32-bit)
5
3%
Windows Vista (64-bit)
2
1%
Windows 7 (32-bit)
28
18%
Windows 7 (64-bit)
67
42%
 
Total votes : 158

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby eil » 02 Oct 2011 23:09

highend, it's too "young" to count it.
zer0, haven't you ever thought about marketing..?!
imaging i'm MS, and i have new product - what will i do to increase its sells? i'll make deals with PC-selling companies to preinstall my product(done! every new PC has Vista/7 -by the way not all are glad with that 8) ) and i will "make everyone believe" that my new product is so much better, so many people already have it(why don't You!? :twisted: ) and each day their number increases.
this may be just a paranoid talks :mrgreen: but it's not just talks :wink: my friend happen to work in PC-service company and i help him from time to time with work. i wish you'd see how many people come angry paying for XP installation in exchange of preinstalled 7 on their laptops. :roll: yet i know what my friend's boss says: "advertise 7 to clients!. they anyways know nothing- make them want it. why? because you're paid for this. :x "
eil
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby zer0 » 02 Oct 2011 23:58

eil wrote:zer0, haven't you ever thought about marketing..?!
imaging i'm MS, and i have new product - what will i do to increase its sells? i'll make deals with PC-selling companies to preinstall my product(done! every new PC has Vista/7 -by the way not all are glad with that 8) ) and i will "make everyone believe" that my new product is so much better, so many people already have it(why don't You!? :twisted: ) and each day their number increases.
this may be just a paranoid talks :mrgreen: but it's not just talks :wink: my friend happen to work in PC-service company and i help him from time to time with work. i wish you'd see how many people come angry paying for XP installation in exchange of preinstalled 7 on their laptops. :roll: yet i know what my friend's boss says: "advertise 7 to clients!. they anyways know nothing- make them want it. why? because you're paid for this. :x "
There is nothing new about OS developers doing deals and pre-installing their OS on new computers. That's just how it works. As for your friend's PC service company, the same people will probably come running back to get Win7 or Win8 installed back when security updates stop being published. Win7 is an all-around better OS. People are scared of change. They've used XP for a number of years and now they buy a new computer and it's something different, something new, something unfamiliar. Instead of getting to know it better, their knee-jerk reaction is to get back to their beloved XP without realising that it will only bring short-term benefits.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Always using the latest stable build
zer0
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: 19 Jan 2009 20:11

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby eil » 03 Oct 2011 10:42

well, there are 60% of customers who really "used to". but i do understand them, 'cause my cellphone for work Motorolla C115 is far more comfortable than iPhone(whatever G). :wink: yet there are 40% of companies and customers who just don't have a "proper hardware" for such "resource monster" = where XP freely flies, Vista/7 creeps :) for myself i decided quite same thing - i'll install 7 only if i'll have about 6GB(or more) ram, so i don't "feel 7th presence" :mrgreen:
by the way, just for fun-info, 80% of 7-wishing customers know nothing at all about PC and bought it either for social net or 'cause "everyone does have it" :lol: other 20% have "straight-logic" = "we have modern PC- we need modern OS" 8)
and what's about "an all-around better OS"? :| i read all these "brand new features of 7", "20 things 7 brought us"- but there is nothing special. yet, after so many times of installing it, i saw nothing except extra-large resource usage and this "blurry-glassy-nice" interface..
eil
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby zer0 » 03 Oct 2011 11:34

eil wrote:well, there are 60% of customers who really "used to". but i do understand them, 'cause my cellphone for work Motorolla C115 is far more comfortable than iPhone(whatever G). :wink: yet there are 40% of companies and customers who just don't have a "proper hardware" for such "resource monster" = where XP freely flies, Vista/7 creeps :) for myself i decided quite same thing - i'll install 7 only if i'll have about 6GB(or more) ram, so i don't "feel 7th presence" :mrgreen:
by the way, just for fun-info, 80% of 7-wishing customers know nothing at all about PC and bought it either for social net or 'cause "everyone does have it" :lol: other 20% have "straight-logic" = "we have modern PC- we need modern OS" 8)
and what's about "an all-around better OS"? :| i read all these "brand new features of 7", "20 things 7 brought us"- but there is nothing special. yet, after so many times of installing it, i saw nothing except extra-large resource usage and this "blurry-glassy-nice" interface..
I'm no Marketing Department of Microsoft. If XP works for you, awesome. If Win7 tickles your fancy, not a problem. Whatever you feel is the best option for you...is the best option for you. Just like they say: the best camera is the one you have with you. As far as baulking at system requirements, this isn't 2001, people need to get real. If Win7 was to have the same sys reqs as XP, a lot of people would have used existing hardware. This, in turn, would have put pressure on manufacturers to have drivers for a greater combination of hardware and OS versions. That's not sustainable.

Regarding it being a better OS, I stand by that point. Faster speed, better compatibility and search, usability improvements, touch capabilities, I could go on. If those don't apply, then it's easy to see why one would think it's an inferior OS. And yes, a powerful machine does benefit if one wants to enjoy some perks. That's life though, it's not the fault of the OS.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Always using the latest stable build
zer0
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: 19 Jan 2009 20:11

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby eil » 07 Oct 2011 21:37

so if 7 did have same requirements as XP and had all she has -than it would be comparable. as things are, saying that 7 is for example faster, is same as to say F1 Ferrari on track is faster that some 6-year-old car on road. :| but i see your point and it's a customer <> technician debates, with no end and meaning :wink:
eil
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby zer0 » 26 Oct 2011 10:41

So Don, would you like my PayPal so you can send that EUR 50? :D
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Always using the latest stable build
zer0
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: 19 Jan 2009 20:11

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby admin » 26 Oct 2011 11:59

zer0 wrote:So Don, would you like my PayPal so you can send that EUR 50? :D

Show me your sources first.
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 32633
Joined: 22 May 2004 15:48
Location: Cologne

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby zer0 » 26 Oct 2011 12:18

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:So Don, would you like my PayPal so you can send that EUR 50? :D
Show me your sources first.
Not a problem: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201009-201110
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Always using the latest stable build
zer0
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: 19 Jan 2009 20:11

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby admin » 26 Oct 2011 12:30

OK, I'm defeated, hand over the paypal data. :)
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 32633
Joined: 22 May 2004 15:48
Location: Cologne

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby Starhowl » 09 Jan 2013 12:45

Poll lacks Windows 8 as an option?
Starhowl
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Jan 2013 11:41

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby eil » 09 Jan 2013 13:07

well, i have Win8 for the moment, but going to delete it in few days.]
eil
 
Posts: 680
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: What OS do you primarily use with XYplorer?

Postby RalphM » 10 Jan 2013 03:55

Look at the dates!
When this poll was started, there was no Win 8 nearby.
And, in order to get a current statistic, a new poll would probably be the better option, since there might be various people who switched their OS w/o updating their votes here...
Ralph :-)
(OS: XP Pro x32 SP3 - XY: Current beta)
RalphM
 
Posts: 786
Joined: 27 Jan 2005 23:38
Location: Cairns, Australia

Previous

Return to FAQs & Polls



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests