Edit with Notepad++ doesn't appear in the context menu

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
threedot

Edit with Notepad++ doesn't appear in the context menu

Post by threedot »

Hello,

I have update xyplorer with new version v9.90.0300. Notepad++ item doesn't appear in the context menu.

grindax

Re: Edit with Notepad++ doesn't appear in the context menu

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

I have other parameter as default
"C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%1"
for key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Notepad++_file\shell\open\command
--------------
Windows 7

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Maybe hijacking this topic, but it was the closest I found.

On my work machine (XP Prof. 64bit) both XY and WinZip are 32bit programs (as task manager states) but still the context menu entries for WinZip aren't shown.

Any idea, how to get them back without editing the registry, 'cos I haven't got the rights to do so.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

RalphM wrote:Maybe hijacking this topic, but it was the closest I found.

On my work machine (XP Prof. 64bit) both XY and WinZip are 32bit programs (as task manager states) but still the context menu entries for WinZip aren't shown.

Any idea, how to get them back without editing the registry, 'cos I haven't got the rights to do so.
Two possible reasons:
1. Do you have Configuration > Extended > Default items only in shell context menu, enabled?
2. Some 32-bit programs (I know of UltraEdit), even though they're 32-bit programs, install only a 64-bit shell extension when installed on 64-bit Windows.

In general, has this worked before?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

nas8e9 wrote:Two possible reasons:
1. Do you have Configuration > Extended > Default items only in shell context menu, enabled?
Nope, checked with different config option constellations but to no avail.
nas8e9 wrote:2. Some 32-bit programs (I know of UltraEdit), even though they're 32-bit programs, install only a 64-bit shell extension when installed on 64-bit Windows.
This might be it - need to investigate further, thanks
nas8e9 wrote:In general, has this worked before?
Sure, otherwise I wouldn't complain about it, and it still works on my home machine w/ XP Pro 32bit.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

RalphM wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:2. Some 32-bit programs (I know of UltraEdit), even though they're 32-bit programs, install only a 64-bit shell extension when installed on 64-bit Windows.
This might be it - need to investigate further, thanks
This seems to indicate WinZip does install a 64-bit shell extension. In case it indeed doesn't install a 32-bit one as well on 64-bit Windows: one workaround which apparently works for UltraEdit, is to hunt down the .dll for the 32-bit shell extension and manually registering it with

Code: Select all

regsvr32 sample.dll
. I don't know whether that's possible with WinZip's nor whether the regsvr32 route works per-user or whether it requires administrator privileges.

sandstonez

Post by sandstonez »

Ran into the referenced problem, but with Ultraedit

I found a 32bit version of what looks like the correct file (ue32ctmn.dll), but running regsvr32 with that file got an error message to the effect that the dll was loaded, but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found, and nothing was done.

Looking at the register I see that some shell entries (like winrar) have an additional 32bit class defined, so presumably that needs to be done for Ultraedit, but I'm not sure I can do that all manually.

Has any gotten Ultraedit to be a context menu with XYplorer on a 64 bit system??

Thanks

highend

Post by highend »

You can always use a software like http://www.softplatz.net/Downloads/Util ... lorer.html to put programs in your context menu.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

sandstonez

Post by sandstonez »

Fast Explorer looks like it was done for 32 bit windows, had problem with everything that was 32 bit on a 64 bit system, which is the problem I'm having.

I did find what looked like plausible registry settings, but no dice. Ultraedit seems to be unusual in that it puts content menu item under the current user, not just the MACHINE, and I don't know where XYplorer is checking for context menus.

Still looking for a solution.

highend

Post by highend »

I'm using FastExplorer for more than 5 years, from XP up to 7, including 7 @ x64 now...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:You can always use a software like http://www.softplatz.net/Downloads/Util ... lorer.html to put programs in your context menu.
Can it make 64-bit apps appear in a 32-bit context menu?

highend

Post by highend »

Never tried to do so. Any special application in mind (64bit)? I could try it in a virtual x86 win 7 machine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:
Never tried to do so. Any special application in mind (64bit)? I could try it in a virtual x86 win 7 machine.
Nothing special. Just thought this might provide a workaround for this old issue: http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctx64