RecycleBin + price increase in 2010 == buy it now!

Say it if you mean it...
tux.

Re: RecycleBin + price increase in 2010 == buy it now!

Post by tux. »

carmenm wrote:Can i dare ask you if you work in an "industry"?
I don't.
carmenm wrote:Everyday i see my coworkers fighting with the native explorer.
Indeed, working with cmd is a lot faster. :) *scnr*
carmenm wrote:Fighting with all those windows, losing so much time trying to do what appears to be such a simple task with XY. They do loose hours a day and i am not kidding. I think of my administrator for example. All that time lost is money lost for my company, actually it s not lost it s wasted!
I actually know the advantages of using another file manager than the Explorer. This was not the point here IIRC.
carmenm wrote:To conclude, i will give you an example of another software i use everyday, "Installshield". It s extensively expensive and yet people buy it, why? because of its features!
NSIS is free and yet people use it. Because of its features. So features are actually not a reason for a higher price, are they?
carmenm wrote:May be you only need the home version.
According to the feature list, yep.

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

tux. wrote:
carmenm wrote:To conclude, i will give you an example of another software i use everyday, "Installshield". It s extensively expensive and yet people buy it, why? because of its features!
NSIS is free and yet people use it. Because of its features. So features are actually not a reason for a higher price, are they?
I am actually fighting to find an alternative to Installshield. And i didnt find one for now. NSIS doesnt allow me to do everything i do with installshield. I am trying to go opensource as much as i can. But when you sell a product relying on those 3rd party software, you usually prefer the stability and support of non open source.
Right now for example my best alternative to INstallshield seems to be Installbuilder(and it s crossplateform!)

Back to topic, so do you find the home edition too expensive? i find it very affordable.

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

carmenm wrote:
tux. wrote:
I am actually fighting to find an alternative to Installshield. And i didnt find one for now. NSIS doesnt allow me to do everything i do with installshield. I am trying to go opensource as much as i can. But when you sell a product relying on those 3rd party software, you usually prefer the stability and support of non open source.
Right now for example my best alternative to INstallshield seems to be Installbuilder(and it s crossplateform!)
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Inno Setup (http://www.jrsoftware.org)? I've found it to do everything I need, and it's free as well...

If you decide to look at it, I recommend downloading the QuickStart pack -- it's got some really nice additional features including a very nice script editor and the Inno Setup Preprocessor.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with jrsoftware other than as a very satisfied user of their product.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I think this discussion is getting quite a bit off the OP's topic. It's about 28 hours until the bells chime midnight on the 31st of December, so there's not much time left to make that purchase. Don brought us many great features in 2009 and I'm certain that he will continue to do so in the new decade 8)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Those of you who have got carried away with the celebrations still have a chance to buy XYplorer at a 2009 price, since the increase has not happened yet. Happy New Year! 8)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:Those of you who have got carried away with the celebrations still have a chance to buy XYplorer at a 2009 price, since the increase has not happened yet. Happy New Year! 8)
I've been waiting for Hawaii Time Zone to complete the decade, and for my hangover to complete the morning... :mrgreen:

The transition will happen within the next hours.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

In looking for some other software I came across this variant on pricing:
http://www.x-setup.net/license/updatepr ... lang=en_us

Wherein you can buy additional years of updates by the year so if you wanted two years of updates, you could buy that...

Might this be adapted to XY to allow another vers level instead of a date driven setup? So if you bought v7.9 and that allows up to v8.9, user might buy up to v9.9 for a cost that is a bit less than buying it from scratch again? Especially now with the new 2010 pricing factored in...

That's how some companies make their money -- continuing licence fees..and yes, I guess this is somewhat the DirOpus style but if done correctly, might offer a path to older customers to get current yet still feel like they haven't totally wasted their prior investment....you might even be able to get more income than if bought once with a Lifetime this way...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.