Drag & Drop image from Firefx 3.5.5 to list view fails

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
lukescammell

Drag & Drop image from Firefx 3.5.5 to list view fails

Post by lukescammell »

Dragging & Dropping an image from Firefox 3.5.5 and Chrome 4.0.249.11 to list view fails for me with XYplorer 8.70.0100. Not sure how long since, I've only just tried doing it again. Strange that the error for Firefox references a BMP, when it's a PNG I'm dragging...

Firefox 3.5.5 Error

Code: Select all

Item Not Found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\luke\AppData\Local\Temp\wvd05n3c.bmp. Verify the item's location and try again.
Chrome 4.0.249.11

XYplorer
Failed to get dropped contents of 'image.png'.
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

zer0

Re: Drag & Drop image from Firefx 3.5.5 to list view fails

Post by zer0 »

Originally, I suggested that you should enable a tweak to make it work. However, I have myself enabled that tweak and it fails to do the DnD operation properly [in Firefox].

Here's the last thread on the matter: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3060 Don was saying that further research was needed, but I can't find anything in the changelog that would suggest that something was done to correct this behaviour.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

I have now set:

[General]
WorkAroundFirefox3ImageDropBug=1
Same error for both browsers :/

Heh, strangely enough, drag and drop from Safari 4.0.1 (531.21.10) works :mrgreen:
Opera 9 and 10... let's not go there :D (it doesn't work, but then neither does it to WE from Opera, go figure...)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I found a temporary workaround for now for Firefox: get IETab extension, if there is an image that you want to grab off a page load using that extension's IE engine, right-click on a piccy -> Copy -> XY's List -> right-click -> Paste. Not ideal, not as easy as DnD, but might be good enough for the time being.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

zer0 wrote:I found a temporary workaround for now for Firefox: get IETab extension, if there is an image that you want to grab off a page load using that extension's IE engine, right-click on a piccy -> Copy -> XY's List -> right-click -> Paste. Not ideal, not as easy as DnD, but might be good enough for the time being.
You don't need to use IE, do you? For example, if D&D doesn't work, you could just right-click on a picture and chose "Copy Image", then use XY's Paste Special|Paste Image Into New PNG File

(Or, you could also use "Copy Image Location" instead; and in XY do a simple ::download <clipboard>; which should not only keep the file's format (GIF/PNG/etc) but also its name...)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

lukescammell wrote:Opera 9 and 10... let's not go there :D (it doesn't work, but then neither does it to WE from Opera, go figure...)
Being an Opera fan i had to tell this: while many desire drag & drop, opera's "click on image while holding ctrl button" to save image is much easier for me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:(Or, you could also use "Copy Image Location" instead; and in XY do a simple ::download <clipboard>; which should not only keep the file's format (GIF/PNG/etc) but also its name...)
Nice one! Damn, this XYplorer is one powerful app...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

jacky wrote:You don't need to use IE, do you? For example, if D&D doesn't work, you could just right-click on a picture and chose "Copy Image", then use XY's Paste Special|Paste Image Into New PNG File

(Or, you could also use "Copy Image Location" instead; and in XY do a simple ::download <clipboard>; which should not only keep the file's format (GIF/PNG/etc) but also its name...)
Several ways around it are possible. Personal preference will dictate which one is picked by a particular individual, notwithstanding that a fix would be most preferable solution ;)
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
jacky wrote:You don't need to use IE, do you? For example, if D&D doesn't work, you could just right-click on a picture and chose "Copy Image", then use XY's Paste Special|Paste Image Into New PNG File

Several ways around it are possible. Personal preference will dictate which one is picked by a particular individual, notwithstanding that a fix would be most preferable solution ;)
No doubt, it's on my list.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Quite interesting that there are so many different ways to achieve the same thing, most enlightening! But I'm with Zer0 here, it's one of those things that should just work, and does just work in Windows Explorer, hence the expectation.

Glad to here it's on the list Don, thanks ;)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

lukescammell wrote:Glad to here it's on the list Don, thanks ;)
And it's on the changelog as well -- the latest beta fixed this issue for me :)
Windows 7/10

nony

Post by nony »

Curiously i tried to test the drag drop code and the dropped link. It indeed shows .bmp apart from whatever image extension has been dropped. I wonder how Explorer manages to do it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:Curiously i tried to test the drag drop code and the dropped link. It indeed shows .bmp apart from whatever image extension has been dropped. I wonder how Explorer manages to do it.
You applied the tweak and it did not work?

nony

Post by nony »

admin wrote:You applied the tweak and it did not work?
Yes, tweak is applied.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:
admin wrote:You applied the tweak and it did not work?
Yes, tweak is applied.
Hm. :|