Rename Mapped Drive Does Not Work (Beta 6.80.0058)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
TestMeister

Rename Mapped Drive Does Not Work (Beta 6.80.0058)

Post by TestMeister »

Possibly due to recent fixes to support Vista drive mapping I am unable to modify a mapped drive name. Have tried F2, right-click Rename and Properties edit. When attempt to edit on either Vista or XP it defaults to incorrect name and does not persist any changes.

(I am a new user so apologies if I have missed a setup option)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Rename Mapped Drive Does Not Work (Beta 6.80.0058)

Post by admin »

Confirmed.

BTW, under XP at least, Explorer will also default to the wrong name when you go via Properties.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Rename Mapped Drive Does Not Work (Beta 6.80.0058)

Post by j_c_hallgren »

TestMeister wrote:(I am a new user so apologies if I have missed a setup option)
Hi and welcome to the XY world!

As you've now seen, a reply normally comes pretty quick on this forum!
Don doesn't always reply in 12 min, but it's not unusual either...
That's a bit part of the reason why we just think he and XY are greatest!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

As I have told Don, this product is so great it's really hard to explain it to others. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is that even the Linux gear-heads who hate MS with a passion are very impressed.
Last edited by TestMeister on 05 Feb 2008 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TestMeister wrote:As I have told Dan, this product is so great it's really hard to explain it to others. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is that even the Linux gear-heads who hate MS with a passion are very impressed.
Thank you!

The bug should be fixed in the next upload.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TestMeister wrote:As I have told Don, this product is so great it's really hard to explain it to others. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is that even the Linux gear-heads who hate MS with a passion are very impressed.
Tell them that XYplorer can be used on Linux soon! See:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9725385854.html

fishgod

Post by fishgod »

admin wrote:Tell them that XYplorer can be used on Linux soon! See:
I'm using Linux on my notebook and try to get an equivalent app of any of my favorite windows-apps, some work with wine, unfortunately XY not.

It my eyes it would be great if there would be a linux-binary of XY in the future. :)
Operating System: Win10 x64 / Win11 x64 / almost allways newest XY-beta
totally XYscripting-addicted

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fishgod wrote:
I'm using Linux on my notebook and try to get an equivalent app of any of my favorite windows-apps, some work with wine, unfortunately XY not.

It my eyes it would be great if there would be a linux-binary of XY in the future. :)
Yes, would be nice. Although I can hardly believe that it will really work. A file manager is extremely close to the OS in many aspects... I don't think you can just map Windows on Linux without losses. But if they can, hey ho!

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Yes, it would be great if you could compile XY for linux. I dont know if thats easy or not, but if it works then linux guys will love it (me too since i am trying ubuntu).

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

fishgod wrote:

For those interested, i am now using XY in ubuntu. I said WOW when this happened!! But it needs wine-doors (a windows layer for linux) which has an option of installing VB6 libraries.
I am using it mainly for searching which is great. plus MDBU works from info panel not list. The usage is bit limited and looks are also not so good (fonts messed up) I am still figuring out how to open files, since there is no open with. also, XY shows errors and hangs when navigating Menu>views and right-clicking on columns. Otherwise XY is stable for most part. See screenshot:

Update: sorry, MDBU works fine in list too (forgot to turn the feature ON).
I dont know if i need all of these but using wine-doors i installed VB common controls, VB runtime libraries and gdiplus winxp library. just to let you know.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:
fishgod wrote:

For those interested, i am now using XY in ubuntu. I said WOW when this happened!! But it needs wine-doors (a windows layer for linux) which has an option of installing VB6 libraries.
I am using it mainly for searching which is great. plus MDBU works from info panel not list. The usage is bit limited and looks are also not so good (fonts messed up) I am still figuring out how to open files, since there is no open with. also, XY shows errors and hangs when navigating Menu>views and right-clicking on columns. Otherwise XY is stable for most part. See screenshot:

Update: sorry, MDBU works fine in list too (forgot to turn the feature ON).
I dont know if i need all of these but using wine-doors i installed VB common controls, VB runtime libraries and gdiplus winxp library. just to let you know.
Wow, I'm really surprised this works! Cool, cool, cool!

BTW, VB common controls are not needed for XY, just the runtime (msvbvm60.dll) and gdi+.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:Wow, I'm really surprised this works! Cool, cool, cool!

BTW, VB common controls are not needed for XY, just the runtime (msvbvm60.dll) and gdi+.
You are right, on my other PC i just needed those two and all worked fine. Ofcourse not everything is functional, but atleast i am able to use UDC and open my fav apps from catalog, the MDBU, and all search features etc
I too was surprised that things worked fine right away.
There are some issues like navigating view menu and CKS gives runtime error 97 and hangs.
But otherwise, i am quite pleased to use XY on ubuntu without too many problems (partly because of .ini which is quite handy).

admin
Site Admin

XY on Ubuntu

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:There are some issues like navigating view menu and CKS gives runtime error 97 and hangs.
- navigating view menu? Please explain.

- CKS gives runtime error 97 - when opening the CKS dialog?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Sorry, i wasnt clear. In both cases, i.e. navigating views menu and accessing CKS (toolbar button or menu tool>CKS) gives error 97 and when i click OK it hangs. see below

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:Sorry, i wasnt clear. In both cases, i.e. navigating views menu and accessing CKS (toolbar button or menu tool>CKS) gives error 97 and when i click OK it hangs. see below

Okay, "navigating views menu" -- you mean when you move the mouse over the menu? At what point exactly?

Somehow I'd like to fix those little Ubuntu issues... :)