TeraCopy Integration

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
feeks

Re: TeraCopy Integration

Post by feeks »

what do you mean by next step? :?
What I am experiencing is that the menu closes at each selection of a menu option and is not being redisplayed to the screen on completion. I am definitely not clicking outside of the menu :roll:.

Say I wanted to perform the following 3-step process as an example, Add items to collection, View/Edit collection, Clear collection. I currently have to load the script 3 times to perform these steps, whereas in most of the scripts from the XYp library the script menu remains on the screen allowing me to perform any required follow-on action necessary until the cancel option has been selected, obviously there is no cancel option but the menu is not being redisplayed to the screen.

In programming parlance a menu display loop-to-cancel option

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

feeks wrote:What I am experiencing is that the menu closes at each selection of a menu option and is not being redisplayed to the screen on completion. I am definitely not clicking outside of the menu :roll:.
Say I wanted to perform the following 3-step process as an example, Add items to collection, View/Edit collection, Clear collection. I currently have to load the script 3 times to perform these steps, whereas in most of the scripts from the XYp library the script menu remains on the screen allowing me to perform any required follow-on action necessary until the cancel option has been selected, obviously there is no cancel option but the menu is not being redisplayed to the screen.
the reason i mentioned clicking outside the menu is because usually one would click copy/cut/paste/etc and then select other items, go to another folder or do any other number of things (but not use the menu again).
the only times i think it might be useful to automatically reopen the menu is after using "add", "view/edit" or "clear".
but then, here's the main reason to not do it: the script is, and has always been, meant to be used via ks.
seriously, it's waaaaaay easier and faster than the menu. :)
i can actually say that i have only used the menu on tests, even being the mouse fanatic that i am.
the second reason, as i already said in my prev post, is that i hate having a menu reopen by itself.

however, since it doesn't look to hard, i might do it.
only for the 3 commands i mentioned before, tho.
and of course i'll have to create a new setting to make this optional.
feeks wrote:whereas in most of the scripts from the XYp library
p.s. that's not a very good reference, imo.
remember that the scripts are created by users, and each user has his own style.
just because some people write theirs in one way doesn't mean everyone must do the same. :wink:
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

feeks

Post by feeks »

the script is, and has always been, meant to be used via ks.

What is ks?
remember that the scripts are created by users, and each user has his own style.
This wasn't a dig at style 8) ... just providing an example of the functionality that I was trying to describe ... viewing this as a usability enhancement :idea: .

:D

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

feeks wrote:What is ks?
ks = keyboard shortcut. :wink:
the idea is to use the script as you would use ctrl+x/c/v.
i, for example, use alt+x/c/v/z (cut,copy,2 paste) and shift+a/x/c/e/q (for the collection).
This wasn't a dig at style 8) ... just providing an example of the functionality that I was trying to describe ... viewing this as a usability enhancement :idea: .
sorry if i misunderstood you. :oops:
i just thought that, since you're new on the forum, you might have the wrong idea about scripting.
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator

feeks

Post by feeks »

Okay Thanks for the help it is much appreciated :D

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

Muroph wrote:updated to v6.5
carmenm wrote:So what do you use the clipboard for?
lots of images and text, dozens (maybe hundreds) of times a day. :)
But how do you use it? I mean there s no panel for it so i dont see a quick and easy way to use it. Could you give a quick use example?
Thanks

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

carmenm wrote:But how do you use it? I mean there s no panel for it so i dont see a quick and easy way to use it. Could you give a quick use example?
i have a feeling we're talking about different things here. :?

what do you mean by "panel"?
My shared scripts:

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

By panel i mean visual panel, something like the catalog where you could drop your files and always see what s in your clipboard

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

Muroph wrote:however, since it doesn't look to hard, i might do it.
only for the 3 commands i mentioned before, tho.
and of course i'll have to create a new setting to make this optional.
i made a quick mod just to see how this would behave, and i really dont like it.
after using it for a couple days, i noticed it gets in the way more often than it helps.
and even then, the menu jumps around the screen too much.
if you still want it, just edit the script and put this at the end of the items that you wish would reopen the menu.

Code: Select all

self $self, file;
	load $self;
the edited subscript should look like this:

"Clear collection : clearcollection"
	global $workpath;
	sub _settings;
	writefile("$workpath\teracopycollection.tmp", "");
	status "TeraCopy: Removed all items from collection", 78FF00, ready;
	self $self, file;
	load $self;
note that you must load the script from a file, and the menu will open even if you call the subscript using a ks.

i might work on a proper version if more people ask for this feature.
however, i don't think it's worth the effort.

carmenm wrote:By panel i mean visual panel, something like the catalog where you could drop your files and always see what s in your clipboard
i've never seen something like that before and, imo, it's not really necessary.
i have a simple script to see what is on the clipboard or in the lists from the teracopy script, but i seldom use it.
carmenm wrote:But how do you use it?
for files:
drag and drop or teracopy.
95% of the times i work with files i use xyplorer.
the other 5% i'm in open or save dialogs from other programs (wich i suppose use windows explorer) and i use drag and drop.
ex: to copy a file in xy
-copy using the teracopy script;
-go to target folder;
-paste using tc script.
or
-ctrl + drag'n'drop

for everything else: normal clipboard.
"everything else" is usually some text or image to copy from one application to another.
ex: saving text from firefox:
-select text in ff;
-ctrl+c;
-open notepad;
-ctrl+v;
-save.
or the easy way
-select text in ff (the autocopy addon is awesome)
-go to xyplorer
-ctrl+alt+v (my ks for "paste text into new file")
My shared scripts:

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

OK i get what you mean and i didnt know about the ctrl+drag which will help me a lot.

About the visual panel i think there might already something like that planed for xyplorer. I saw "drop stack" in the roadmap and as i understand it, this is what i want.

Thanks

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

carmenm wrote:i didnt know about the ctrl+drag which will help me a lot.
by default xy will move a file if you drop on the same partition and copy if you drop on a diferent partition.
ctrl+drag forces xy to copy the file.
shift+drag to forces xy to move.
you can also drag and drop using the right mouse button to get some options.
i use these a lot. :)

i think there is a list with all mouse tricks somewhere in the wiki (which is incredibly useful).
My shared scripts:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Muroph wrote:
carmenm wrote:i didnt know about the ctrl+drag which will help me a lot.
by default xy will move a file if you drop on the same partition and copy if you drop on a diferent partition.
ctrl+drag forces xy to copy the file.
shift+drag to forces xy to move.
This is Windows standard ever since, not just XY.

Download keyboard and mouse cheat sheets here: http://www.xyplorer.com/support.htm

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

admin wrote:This is Windows standard ever since, not just XY.
right!
i remembered that shortly after posting, but i was too lazy to edit the post. :)
My shared scripts:

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

I am facing a problem with this script. My problem is that the script doesnt copy the selected files into the clipboard.
Now i want to make an UDC which uses <clipboard>, but due to the teracopy script, the clipboard is always empty.
Does anyone sees a solution to that?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

carmenm wrote:I am facing a problem with this script. My problem is that the script doesnt copy the selected files into the clipboard.
Now i want to make an UDC which uses <clipboard>, but due to the teracopy script, the clipboard is always empty.
Does anyone sees a solution to that?
You can always modify the script to add selected files to clipboard.

EDIT:
Just looked at the script (v6.5), seems like it doesnt use clipboard, so you can conveniently add this below "end 1;}" in cut script:

focus;
  #200;
and this below "end 1;}" in copy script:

focus;
  #201;
@Muroph: Nice script!! :D