XY = Best Free Software (157 free apps) PC Magazine

Say it if you mean it...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

XY = Best Free Software (157 free apps) PC Magazine

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I just got my PC Magazine for March 2008 in the mail, and in the article "Best Free Software - 157 Hot Apps", ...on page 82, it has...XYplorer!!!!!! :D :D :D

Listed under category of "Interface Enhancement" with Google Desktop, Yahoo Widgets, and a few others, it's the ONLY WinExpl style app listed!
Desc says: "Multiple tabs and improved search enhance and replace the boring old Windows Explorer'

So..maybe my pushing it to Neil Rubenking finally worked!

For those who arrived here from that article,
here's where the free vers can be located from:

http://www.xyplorer.com/faq.htm

I'm only a power user who was maybe responsible for the publicity, and so you know, the prior pointer to "free" page was removed from site (as I recall/understand it) due to some problems with free users requesting email tech support which is limited to paid users...however, we will GLADLY help ANY user here! And hope that by doing so will encourage you to join the paid ranks!

They've not yet put current issue online (as of Feb 15) but should shortly..that will draw more traffic....

So as much of a pain that free users can be sometimes, getting even this in print is, I think, a major coup! This mag has, I believe, a print distribution of 500K+...and...being in actual print may mean : we can more likely get back in WikiPedia?
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 16 Feb 2008 10:19, edited 3 times in total.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: XY = Best Free Software (157 free apps) PC Magazine

Post by admin »

WOW! :D

To which page are they linking in the article? To the main homepage?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Yes, the heading is: XYplorer www.xyplorer.com

I'll scan the page and email it to Don sometime today..
Addendum: I may try and put a link here also..
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Yes, the heading is: XYplorer www.xyplorer.com

I'll scan the page and email it to Don sometime today..
That would be great! Thanks!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok...scanned it and added a little green box around it...
here's the clickable thumbnail image...
not the best scan, but it should do....

Tamil

Post by Tamil »

:D

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I also just posted (a variant of the original post in this thread) on the PC Mag forums which may help subscribers also...

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004395065.aspx

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Great!! Now thats notable. :lol:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

BTW, once a year, magazines in the US that are mailed have to print a legal type notice that is filed with the U.S.P.S. (Post office) of ownership and circulation details...so I looked back thru my issues and found latest one in Nov 20, 2007 issue...it shows the average paid circulation of each issue in last 12 months as being 688,232! Now THAT'S a pretty good circulation!!! The stat's for the most recent single issue (Sep 18th) at time of notice were also shown...they were 713,938 :!:

This may be the biggest single boost we've had in publicity yet.... :D :D

graham

Post by graham »

his may be the biggest single boost we've had in publicity yet....
Brilliant and well done - I think the addition of scripting and how I guess it will develop takes XY into a new league with loads of opportunity for mention in publications. If scripting is enhanced in the future to make it easy to construct powerful scripts then this could be the way in. XYplorer with 3D scripting, read all about it.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I've now also added a "Special Publicity Note" in my blog about this, with link, as another aid for new visitors to locate the appropriate web page.

Since the blog is linked from XY site, another tie-in won't hurt...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I've now also added a "Special Publicity Note" in my blog about this, with link, as another aid for new visitors to locate the appropriate web page.

Since the blog is linked from XY site, another tie-in won't hurt...
:) Well done, grandmaster of redundancy! :wink: I just come from a little family meeting, I'm stuffed with food and drinks and try to concentrate on, uhm, software marketing. Not easy... :wink:

Needless to say I'm very pleased with this printed notability booster. Let's see if somebody actually reads it. If they really kick out 800,000 copies the chances are good. :D

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Well, according to that USPS Form 3526 data, they have a 12 mth average of 30K copies distributed via vendors, like dealers/stores/etc, and 659K paid subscribers, so....it's available for reading at all my local libraries, and sold in bookstores/grocery stores....

And I would definitely consider taking advantage of this to update the site to acknowledge this mention and maybe even somewhat welcome those type of visitors, plus make free DL page slightly visible...not really out front, but not really hidden either....and also point out how much as changed since that vers, etc.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I've posted a request over at PCmag forum asking why their online "Current Issue" is still February and not March, but did (via site search) find the link to XY on the online article at
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2270809,00.asp

Maybe they just never updated the main issue page...anyway, I'm after them to fix it now...better late than never!

graham

Post by graham »

With the imminent release of scripting there is a superb opportunity for mag. articles to introduce this feature especially with the 'Tour' as a pdf download or link.

* XYPlorer file management powers ahead!

* XYPlorer Free available to manage files in every way

* Upgrade to the latest version and experience 'real' file management leaving all other file mangers in the dark ages

This is why I think the Tour is so valuable as it provides a ready made article for editors to fill their pages and scripting is the vehicle to give it some real added interest.

Possibility of sending launch packs to the various mags so that they can just lift the contents - makes life easy for them -

My engineering web site articles are currently being published in the Model Engineer mag - the editor approached me as he needed material and liked the fact all the work had been done! Just hope they pay me, though in my case it is a hobby all is free.