nerdweed

Additional Default Column Layouts

Post by nerdweed »

Don,
Can you add different Default Column Layouts for the following scenarios please
1. Single Pane
2. Horizontal DP
3. Vertical DP

Horizontal DP and Single Pane can do with the same Column Layout as the horizonal screen estate would remain the same.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Additional Default Column Layouts

Post by admin »

No, that would be an extreme complication, and probably also unexpected by most users.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Hope you reconsider it.
If I limit the sizes of columns and displayed columns in vertical DP, as soon as I go to Single Pane, there is lot of whitespace.

Might be if you are planning to allow moving the location of preview pane, this would become redundant and not at all required as, Preview pane would then be vertically docked for SP and Horizontal DP users.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

nerdweed wrote:Hope you reconsider it.
If I limit the sizes of columns and displayed columns in vertical DP, as soon as I go to Single Pane, there is lot of whitespace.
At first, I didn't follow your request but now that I get it, I agree -- however, re whitespace, I have the opposite problem -- a wide layout that works well on horizontal becomes way too wide for vertical and puts columns out of view so having at least two variants of layouts makes sense -- one for narrow (dual vertical) and one for wide (dual horizontal or single).

I don't think that would be unexpected to users -- after all, smartphone apps often have two layouts: portrait and landscape so why not apply same idea to XY?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Don,

If the two fools rule doesn't apply here, I have an idea that would help me achieve this through Folder Views.

If FV can support a modifier _%DPV% for dual pane vertical mode and _%DPH% for dual pane horizontal and single pane.

No modifier implies that same layout be used for DP Horizontal, Vertical and Single Pane . This doesn't make it complex as it would be available only to those who want it.

Edit: It can be done without _%DPH% modifier as well. No modifier would apply to SP/ DP Horizontal (always) and DP Vertical (only if _%DPH% doesn't exist)

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Any chances for this to be granted now. I prefer the above idea more than my initial wish as it opens up possibilities for various different layouts powered by FVS.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, no time.