Zip support?

Features wanted...
DorothyFan1

Zip support?

Post by DorothyFan1 »

Today I downloaded a good freeware product called PeaZip. This great tool immediately made me wonder if zip support is in XYplorer. So I fired up XYplorer (latest beta) and lo and behold I don't see any zip support mentioned anywhere.

Did I miss the memo or is this on the roadmap?

zer0

Re: Zip support?

Post by zer0 »

Partial Zip support is available via a tweak called OfficePreviewCustomExtensions. Add .zip. to it and contents of a Zip file will be available in Preview pane's window :)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

DorothyFan1

Post by DorothyFan1 »

zer0 wrote:Partial Zip support is available via a tweak called OfficePreviewCustomExtensions. Add .zip. to it and contents of a Zip file will be available in Preview pane's window :)
I've never heard of this program...is it on this site or is it elsewhere I can download this?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

DorothyFan1 wrote:I've never heard of this program...is it on this site or is it elsewhere I can download this?
It's not a program, it's a tweak in XYplorer's INI file. Here's more info about this tweak: http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/IN ... to_Preview and here's a guide on how to edit it http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3543
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zer0 wrote:Partial Zip support is available via a tweak called OfficePreviewCustomExtensions. Add .zip. to it and contents of a Zip file will be available in Preview pane's window :)
Well, that preview ability may depend on other factors as well! As documented in my other thread http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4570...This tweak explains why I'd added .zip which seems to be the cause of my problems there....I'm using WinZip if that matters.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Slope

Post by Slope »

The question remains: will XYplorer include support for zip files? One of the most useful features of any file management system is the ability to compress/uncompress files. Ideally the program would support multiple formats, but seeing that zip is so popular, I would be very happy with XYplorer if it support the compressing and uncompressing of zip files (rar would be my second choice).

Rationale: Although flash drives are getting bigger and bigger, and there are options for hosting a file where people can go download, nothing replaces the speed of compressing a file and sending via e-mail.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Slope wrote:The question remains: will XYplorer include support for zip files? One of the most useful features of any file management system is the ability to compress/uncompress files. Ideally the program would support multiple formats, but seeing that zip is so popular, I would be very happy with XYplorer if it support the compressing and uncompressing of zip files (rar would be my second choice).

Rationale: Although flash drives are getting bigger and bigger, and there are options for hosting a file where people can go download, nothing replaces the speed of compressing a file and sending via e-mail.

Thanks.
Hi and welcome,

I zip and unzip all day long with XYplorer. For years and years. How? WinZip (and WinRAR, and 7zip) in the shell context menu! What are you missing? :)

Don

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Slope wrote:The question remains: will XYplorer include support for zip files?
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Zip support is likely one of the top 10 questions asked here...and for now, unfortunately the answer is that while there is no native built-in support, you almost always access your existing zip appl via context menu.

Now depending on which zip appl that you use (WinZip, WinRar, 7-zip, etc), there have been some scripts developed here to even better interface to some of those external utilities...but which one to point you to?
Which appl do you use and would you install another free one as a way to better handle it? As some are easier to interface with than others as I understand it...and if so, maybe you can work with that for now.

I wish they had been placed in http://88.191.26.34/XYscripts/ but it seems they haven't...I've seen them in the Scripts forum...so maybe some of the authors of those would put a copy in the wiki to make location easier?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Slope wrote:...to compress/uncompress files...(rar would be my second choice)...
As an FYI, no software (apart from WinRAR) is able to compress files into RAR archives. This is because RAR is a proprietary file format. Further, utilising open source libraries for Zip/RAR handling may have licensing implications, since XYplorer is commercial software. Not to mention that these days Zip/RAR archives have complex features (encryption, recovery, levels of compression, etc), so it's a very big fish to fry ;)
Windows 7/10

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zer0 wrote:As an FYI, no software (apart from WinRAR) is able to compress files into RAR archives. This is because RAR is a proprietary file format.
For example, WinZip says on this page (http://www.winzip.com/wzdifs.htm) that it can't create files in a nbr of diff fmts.

twinkler

Post by twinkler »

Hi,

I've used Powerdesk for over ten years but have never been fully satisfied with it. Recently I decided to start looking for something more powerful and discovered an offer for a discounted lifetime license. I'd read many good things about XYplorer over the years, and had a sense that it's second only to DOpus. So in a leap of faith, I bought that license a few days ago.

After a bit of use I discovered, to my disbelief, that unlike many other file managers, including many free ones, XYplorer doesn't enable me to view zip files as folders, nor to create or extract zip files. Not only that, but a brief search of the forum shows that although zip support is one of the most-requested features, Don L responds to these requests dismissively. After having read so much about his responsiveness in such glowing terms, I'm disappointed to see him treat these requests with a degree of hostility I don't think is warranted.

I realize that it's my responsibility to test software before purchasing it, but it never occurred to me that a feature that I consider so basic and take for granted would be missing in a high-end file manager. I can honestly say that had I known this situation before deciding to buy the license, I'd have spent my money elsewhere.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

I would like to add my support for adding built-in handling of zip files as folders as well.

This is the primary way I use zip files in TC because it gives you more flexibility than the context menu (which only has extract here or extract to subfolder, I often want only a few files), and is faster than having to fire up a third party application to handle the archive.

Also, I use the portable version from an USB stick, and nobody says the computer I am at tomorrow has WinZip installed. Since XY is marketed as the portable manager, it should pack whatever features is needed instead of relying on third party applications to be installed on the machine.
zer0 wrote:Further, utilising open source libraries for Zip/RAR handling may have licensing implications, since XYplorer is commercial software.
There are tons of commercial software that use the zlib library, and you will find the zlib license puts no restrictions on your use that should in any way be problematic.

You may say it's a big fish, but since all your competitors can handle it, I am sure Don L could as well if he wanted.
twinkler wrote:Not only that, but a brief search of the forum shows that although zip support is one of the most-requested features, Don L responds to these requests dismissively. After having read so much about his responsiveness in such glowing terms, I'm disappointed to see him treat these requests with a degree of hostility I don't think is warranted.
Welcome to the forums. I think you will find Don L is indeed very responsive, but in the sense that he will reply to pretty much anything :).

Edit: Just to clarify, I mean that in a mostly positive way. If you can get past the lack of niceties and the very direct answers, it is nice not to get fluff like "Thank you, we will consider your request" if it's going straight to the bin anyway.

Rhywun

Post by Rhywun »

+1 to what Jibz said. Adding this support would be a HUGE time-saver. Who wants to uncompress an entire archive to get just one file out of it...?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rhywun wrote:+1 to what Jibz said. Adding this support would be a HUGE time-saver. Who wants to uncompress an entire archive to get just one file out of it...?
:? You open the archive in WinZip (or whatever zipper) and drag the file you want out of it.

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

admin wrote: :? You open the archive in WinZip (or whatever zipper) and drag the file you want out of it.
Jibz wrote:Also, I use the portable version from an USB stick, and nobody says the computer I am at tomorrow has WinZip installed. Since XY is marketed as the portable manager, it should pack whatever features is needed instead of relying on third party applications to be installed on the machine.
Also, it is a matter of convenience and efficiency. If you have to open a third party application it takes longer and it interrupts your workflow to swap application.

You added image preview to XY even though the user could just open the image in IrfanView (or whatever viewer) and look at it :).