Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Features wanted...
TheQwerty

Re: Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:Quite frankly I hate that dialog just because you can't type a path in it.
Can you please do something about this already?

Please give us an argument to add the BIF_EDIT flag to your BROWSEINFO value, or just start using BIF_USENEWUI instead of BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE!! I can't take this painful folder selection for keyboard users anymore! :cry:
:? Take input() if you want to type...
I want my script to have the option for either.. using only Input() requires having to do a ton of validation on my side and costs me the ability to use auto-complete.

It just seems stupid to have this dialog and not use it to its full potential.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:Quite frankly I hate that dialog just because you can't type a path in it.
Can you please do something about this already?

Please give us an argument to add the BIF_EDIT flag to your BROWSEINFO value, or just start using BIF_USENEWUI instead of BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE!! I can't take this painful folder selection for keyboard users anymore! :cry:
:? Take input() if you want to type...
I want my script to have the option for either.. using only Input() requires having to do a ton of validation on my side and costs me the ability to use auto-complete.

It just seems stupid to have this dialog and not use it to its full potential.
I made some quick experiments and don't get the use/usage of this edit field. Please elaborate...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:I made some quick experiments and don't get the use/usage of this edit field. Please elaborate...
Umm... I think it's pretty self-explanatory, you type the location instead of being forced to click around with the mouse.
If you have auto-complete enabled system wide then you also get the auto-complete list.

Much easier than having to move your hand off of the keyboard and onto the mouse to navigate around, especially since keyboard navigation of the tree completely and utterly blows.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:I made some quick experiments and don't get the use/usage of this edit field. Please elaborate...
Umm... I think it's pretty self-explanatory, you type the location instead of being forced to click around with the mouse.
If you have auto-complete enabled system wide then you also get the auto-complete list.

Much easier than having to move your hand off of the keyboard and onto the mouse to navigate around, especially since keyboard navigation of the tree completely and utterly blows.
self-explanatory? I find it rather self-confusing. When you select a folder with the mouse the edit box is filled with just the folder name, but to actually use the box as return value it wants the absolute full path. What did I get wrong here?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:self-explanatory? I find it rather self-confusing. When you select a folder with the mouse the edit box is filled with just the folder name, but to actually use the box as return value it wants the absolute full path. What did I get wrong here?
That doesn't seem all that confusing...slightly poorly designed but still.
When you select it with the mouse you've made it clear where that folder is, but when you are typing you haven't.

I'm not saying you have to make it the default, but the damn dialog is useless as is for anyone that prefers typing over point and click.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:self-explanatory? I find it rather self-confusing. When you select a folder with the mouse the edit box is filled with just the folder name, but to actually use the box as return value it wants the absolute full path. What did I get wrong here?
That doesn't seem all that confusing...slightly poorly designed but still.
When you select it with the mouse you've made it clear where that folder is, but when you are typing you haven't.

I'm not saying you have to make it the default, but the damn dialog is useless as is for anyone that prefers typing over point and click.
pretty poor design IMO; why don't they fill in the full path, so that you can continue your typing with a valid start.

Also, the tree can be navigated with keyboard quite easily.

I've never seen a software that uses the new UI with edit box. You know one?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Also, the tree can be navigated with keyboard quite easily.
You can't be serious; it's awful. You can't type the path to a folder so you have to essentially use the arrow keys to effectively get around, which means once again having to remove hands from the home row keys. It's like navigating a menu without access keys.
admin wrote:I've never seen a software that uses the new UI with edit box. You know one?
Firefox and Thunderbird
Google Chrome
Jungle Disk Desktop
SyncBack SE
Windows Media Player
Zune's Software
Quicken
ImgBurn

Frankly, I'd prefer you used the standard File Dialog restricted to folders but I think that would take much more work than just OR-ing in a flag.
This approach is used by:
Microsoft Office 2007
Visual Studio 2008
Foobar2000
uTorrent
Mp3tag

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:Also, the tree can be navigated with keyboard quite easily.
You can't be serious; it's awful. You can't type the path to a folder so you have to essentially use the arrow keys to effectively get around, which means once again having to remove hands from the home row keys. It's like navigating a menu without access keys.
admin wrote:I've never seen a software that uses the new UI with edit box. You know one?
Firefox and Thunderbird
Google Chrome
Jungle Disk Desktop
SyncBack SE
Windows Media Player
Zune's Software
Quicken
ImgBurn

Frankly, I'd prefer you used the standard File Dialog restricted to folders but I think that would take much more work than just OR-ing in a flag.
This approach is used by:
Microsoft Office 2007
Visual Studio 2008
Foobar2000
uTorrent
Mp3tag
Where in firefox?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

In Firefox v3.5.5:

Tools -> Options -> Main -> Downloads -> Save files to.... -> Browse
20091220-1212_20_0929 -.png
20091220-1212_20_0929 -.png (37.94 KiB) Viewed 2726 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:In Firefox v3.5.5:

Tools -> Options -> Main -> Downloads -> Save files to.... -> Browse
20091220-1212_20_0929 -.png
There it is, wow. OK then, now that I learned about this totally weird and confusing edit box I would not mind personally to have it there, but I cannot believe that it would not confuse others. So all I can offer here is an option to show it. Since this is most likely a general preference of you (and only of you :wink: ) a global tweak would be the weapon of choice.
TheQwertyFyBrowseForFolderDialog=1
or so... :wink:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:There it is, wow. OK then, now that I learned about this totally weird and confusing edit box I would not mind personally to have it there, but I cannot believe that it would not confuse others. So all I can offer here is an option to show it. Since this is most likely a general preference of you (and only of you :wink: ) a global tweak would be the weapon of choice.
I will take what I can get if it means I can find the dialog at least tolerable for scripting use. :D

As I said, I'd much prefer you added a Folder only filter/mode for the normal File Dialog like all those other programs, but I don't believe that's a simple OR-ed flag, so I'll graciously accept a global tweak. ;)

nony

Post by nony »

Currently learning filter so...
Filter by month would be handy if available. or maybe regex in filter.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:There it is, wow. OK then, now that I learned about this totally weird and confusing edit box I would not mind personally to have it there, but I cannot believe that it would not confuse others. So all I can offer here is an option to show it. Since this is most likely a general preference of you (and only of you :wink: ) a global tweak would be the weapon of choice.
I will take what I can get if it means I can find the dialog at least tolerable for scripting use. :D

As I said, I'd much prefer you added a Folder only filter/mode for the normal File Dialog like all those other programs, but I don't believe that's a simple OR-ed flag, so I'll graciously accept a global tweak. ;)
LOL: I forgot to remove a line of test code in the final 8.80 and now you have your BIF_USENEWUI! Did you voodoo me or what? You have a developer puppet at home and a set of needles?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:Currently learning filter so...
Filter by month would be handy if available. or maybe regex in filter.
If you really want you can do that with a clever combination of date format and column wise visual filter. Unfortunately I don't have the time to explain the details.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:LOL: I forgot to remove a line of test code in the final 8.80 and now you have your BIF_USENEWUI! Did you voodoo me or what? You have a developer puppet at home and a set of needles?
/me puts away his spell books. :twisted:
I hadn't actually noticed, in fact I was thinking about posting to see if you had added the tweak without mentioning it in the history.

Now I just have to implement it in my scripts and extend my AutoHotkey script to enable (Shift+)Tab for (Up/)Down in that dialog and it will be absolutely perfect.
Or are you going to take it away now? :cry: