Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Features wanted...
TheQwerty

Re: Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Post by TheQwerty »

Please take my suggestions for alternatives not as "XY doesn't need this" but rather as "in the meantime you could try..."
nerdweed wrote:1. FindTagged = Exact functionality is already available at GUI, but require the output to be redirected to a variable. As a workaround this can be done by doing a goto in a new tab and then copying the filenames to a variable;
There are a couple other alternatives to goto here.

The closest to what you've wished would be to parse tag.dat yourself. Unfortunately you'll have to do a SaveSettings; or #195; (Save Tags) to ensure you have all items tagged since the last save, and you'll have to have your own smarts to fully duplicate the power of XY's search. However, it should be possible to achieve all that you want with this - albeit the speed is largely dependant on the size of tag.dat.

The other alternative is to use Report to retrieve the desired type(s) for the specified, selected, or listed items. Has the advantage that it doesn't require saving tag.dat, but since you have to know the items to retrieve the tag information it doesn't help too much in finding tagged items to begin with - more narrowing down a list to the items which have tags.

All of that said, a FindTagged function would be very useful, but I want to aim even higher and make that just a Find function. ;)
No point devoting a lot of time to Find's syntax presently, we know Don will just chuckle.
nerdweed wrote:2. PreviewItems
You could probably get very close using the HTML SC and one of the many available Javascript libraries for slideshows (this one might be overkill but it supports IE 6+ which is good for XY's embedded IE). If I didn't hate HTML/CSS/JS so much I'd take a stab at this.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I gave Don a good laugh. I thought since Front End functionality is already available this would fit in minor wishes (had a tough time finding this thread as well)

Currently my tag.dat is having almost 100 thousand entries and this would just keep on increasing with the goodness of Tags and ExtraTags.

The superiority of XY tags comes with the complete file available in memory, it does search out a few required files in few ms. Something that would be very difficult to achieve with a workaround.

Preview - I will try jssor however thats mostly going to deprive me of using XY tags from the preview Pane (Currently doing some rating from within Full Screen Preview using UDCs).

Hope Don finds some time soon. Plans standby till then. :|

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I would like to see a scripting command that will effectively execute a click on on whichever is the focused button in a prompt.

My specific case -- I have this command that backups up files from one location to another:

Code: Select all

backupto "X:\foobar\", "Y:\foo\bar\*.*", 3;
It pops up the progress dialogue -- which I like and want to have -- but then at the end it just shows the summary and I have to explicitly click on "Close" to make it go away. What I would like to do is to combine the undocumented wait SC with one that would press "Close" for me so that I can keep the dialogue for a few seconds, but then close it. Alternatively, you may wish to enhance the backupto SC to have this timer built-in. As long as I get my progress dialogue and have it go away by itself after a while, I will be a happy camper :)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very unlikely, sorry.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Very unlikely, sorry.
You're killing me, Don. What about adding "on_collision" and its possible behaviours to copyto please?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, bad timing. After 14.00 or 14.10 I might have time for anything non-column...

highend

Post by highend »

In the meantime you could use Autohotkey...

#NoTrayIcon
#SingleInstance force
#Persistent

waitTimeout := 5000 ; 5 seconds
winClass := "ahk_class ThunderRT6Form"
winContent := "Rep&orts"

SetTimer, LookForWindow, 250
return

LookForWindow:
IfWinExist, ahk_class %winClass%, %winContent%
{
	Sleep, %waitTimeout%
	ControlClick, Close, %winClass%, %winContent%
}
return
It checks every 250 msecs if the status report dialog window exists and closes it after 5 seconds (modifiy waitTimeout to change that value).
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bdeshi

Re: A Minor scripting related wish

Post by bdeshi »

"A Minor scripting related question"
if (any way to detect keyboard keypresses in script without 3rd party help == 1) {
$answer = input("how?");
}
else {
$answer = input("is there any chance to get that functionality in the near future?");
}
msg "$answer";

Is there any way to detect keyboard keypresses in script without any 3rd party help? if not any chances of that in the near future?
Last edited by bdeshi on 19 Mar 2014 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

zer0

Post by zer0 »

highend wrote:In the meantime you could use Autohotkey...
Thanks highend, but I would rather wait for a native solution from Don.
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Can we please get a new style value for InputSelect:
16 = Allow user to re-order items with drag & drop.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, next version. No time to document it anywhere...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:OK, next version. No time to document it anywhere...
Thank you!

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Don, after you are back from your vacation. Please grace us with this function if Possible

GetHeldKeys : Returns a value indicating if the keys Ctrl, Alt or Shift are held when an entry in the context menu of the script is clicked

Returns
0: None of these keys were pressed
1: Ctrl was pressed
2: Alt was pressed
4: Shift was pressed
3,5,6,7: Combinations of Ctrl, Alt, Shift were pressed

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Later...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Since Folder Sync is light years away (May the 4th be with you), I am currently doing folder sync manually using backupto() like so

backupto "<source>", "<destination>";
Unfortunately, the progress dialogue that it pops up is not as informative (some may say misleading) as it could be for one reason: no pre-scanning of the destination folder takes place. This means 3 things: 1) XY does not not how many files it will end up copying 2) XY does not know how much data it will end up copying and 3) XY does not know how long it will take to copy it. As a consequence, for files processed, XY is showing the total quantity of files from the source folder instead of the much smaller quantity of new files to be copied. By the same token, XY is showing the total volume of data of files from the source folder, instead of the volume of data of the new files. Finally, "time remaining" is always going up because XY does not know the full extent of the job it has to do.

With the above in mind, could you please add a flag to the backupto() to have it pre-scan the destination? I appreciate that doing so may have a small performance penalty, but I do think it is worth doing for such significant improvement.
Windows 7/10