Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Post by admin »

irresistible :biggrin:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Thanks Don!

This one might not be so easy... :twisted:

It would be nice if releaseglobals accepted a second parameter to make it possible to remove variables with names matching a specified pattern.

With this scripts could perform better cleanup of dereferenced variables. For example:

Code: Select all

$permPrefix = '$P_LAYOUT_';

// Create perm vars for the layout options
foreach ($opt, setlayout(), ',') {
  $var = $permPrefix . GetToken($opt, 1, '=');
  perm *$var = GetToken($opt, 2, '=');
}

// do stuff with them.

// Cleanup.
releaseglobals 2, $permPrefix . '*';
This is much better than the alternatives of:
1) Keeping track of all variables created in the foreach loop within a separate permanent variable.
Not terrible but not very elegant either. Your first instinct is to create a list of names then loop over it, but you're often better off creating a script of unset $var; commands so that you can clean it up in a single call. Plus you have one more variable that needs cleaned.

2) In this particular instance I could essentially repeat the creation loop for destruction.
This is a bunch more code and is not reliable if run from a different version of XY than the creation since the options available from setlayout may have changed.

+ SC releaseglobals enhanced: The new parameter 'pattern' makes it
      possible to release only those variables with specific names:
      Syntax: releaseglobals [flags=3], [pattern=*]
        pattern: Name pattern of variables to release.
                 Supports wildcards, but does not surround non-wildcard
                 containing patterns automatically.
                 (ie 'FOO' is not treated as '*FOO*')
                 Defaults to '*' to match all.
      Examples:
        // These are all equivalent &
        // release all global & permanent variables
        releaseglobals;
        releaseglobals , '*';
        releaseglobals 3, '*';

// Release all global & permanent variables containing 'FOO':
        releaseglobals , '*FOO*';

// Release permanent variables starting with '$P_FOO_':
        releaseglobals 2, '$P_FOO_*';

// Release all global variables ending with '_OLD':
        releaseglobals 1, '*_OLD';
If only I could provide the code as well... :mrgreen:

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Oh - now I'm a bit mixed up :shock:

There is ReleaseGlobals (currently for *all* Globals / Perms), and there is UnSet, for explicit names.
Doesn't UnSet with explicit names do what ReleaseGlobals does for all Globals?

So, if Don would expand UnSet for generic names,
Unset $P_FOO_*;
would do what you want? Or is there a difference?

1) if OK: I'd say +1
2) syntax of UnSet shows that the variable name "is a variable", i.e. unquoted
3) at least for this generic form ($name*) I'd have some use. I'd not need the "more flexible" forms like *FOO*
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Currently, when running multiple commands as part of a script, status bar reflects only the time taken to execute the latest command. I would like to see some kind of "encapsulation" switch that would show the total time taken to perform the task end to end.

Case in point: I have a CTB that runs a report dump of my external drives. I am not particularly interested in how long each dump takes -- since the status bar info is constantly changing -- but the total time taken is a figure that I would like to see at the end.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

zer0 wrote:Currently, when running multiple commands as part of a script, status bar reflects only the time taken to execute the latest command. I would like to see some kind of "encapsulation" switch that would show the total time taken to perform the task end to end.

Case in point: I have a CTB that runs a report dump of my external drives. I am not particularly interested in how long each dump takes -- since the status bar info is constantly changing -- but the total time taken is a figure that I would like to see at the end.
You can do yourself:

$time0 = <date yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.fff>;
 ... commands you want to measure
   $time1 = <date yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.fff>;
   $timed1 = DateDifF($time0, $time1, 'ms'); // calculate time in msec
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I'd recommend using:

$time0 = now('msecs');
   $time1 = now('msecs');
   $timed1 = $time1 - $time0;
If only because DateDiff doesn't always act as one might expect.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Thanks chaps. I know that timing at the start and end is a workaround, but I was hoping for a more logical change, such prefixing a block of code with an identifier that specifies how its execution time should be displayed.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

zer0 wrote:Thanks chaps. I know that timing at the start and end is a workaround, but I was hoping for a more logical change, such prefixing a block of code with an identifier that specifies how its execution time should be displayed.
What's the actual code that is causing multiple updates to the status bar?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

TheQwerty wrote:
zer0 wrote:Thanks chaps. I know that timing at the start and end is a workaround, but I was hoping for a more logical change, such prefixing a block of code with an identifier that specifies how its execution time should be displayed.
What's the actual code that is causing multiple updates to the status bar?
Several sequential folderreport() with dump switch. It shows traversal of the file system of each location and then finishes with how long it took. Therefore, the only data I really get is how long it took to do a report on the last place in the list.
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

zer0 wrote:Several sequential folderreport() with dump switch. It shows traversal of the file system of each location and then finishes with how long it took. Therefore, the only data I really get is how long it took to do a report on the last place in the list.
I don't think it's going to be easy for Don to just add a command to collate the status bar updates into a single update to show the total time, because it is code called by folderreport that is updating the status bar and not the code actually executing the script commands.

What if the folderreport accepted a list of folders instead of just a single one and then reported on the total time taken? Would that be agreeable or are your calls to folderreport different enough that this could not work?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

TheQwerty wrote:What if the folderreport accepted a list of folders instead of just a single one and then reported on the total time taken? Would that be agreeable or are your calls to folderreport different enough that this could not work?
Well, each folderreport is for a different drive and writes a report into a text file that's named according to the location being reported on. If respective pairs of "folder" and "outputfile" can be maintained then :tup: If not then :naughty:
Windows 7/10

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

TheQwerty wrote:I'd recommend using:

$time0 = now('msecs');
   $time1 = now('msecs');
   $timed1 = $time1 - $time0;
If only because DateDiff doesn't always act as one might expect.
If I got it right DateDiff() could show a difference of 1ms on my example? :ninja:

But: all expressions you used are much cleaner than in my example! :appl: It seems to show 2 points:
1) I shouldn't just use the first solution I find :naughty:
2) if I can get a result by function [here: now()] I should prefer it in stead of using of a <...> variable :ugeek:
[Point 2 we had short ago with <get ...> and get(...) :roll: ]

Now() being able to directly return msec (no DateDiff needed!) is cream on the cake :P

My problem: too many functions and variables, and not enough scripting to know them all :evil:

(No: I do not want to miss them! :mrgreen: )

(Enough emoticons, I think.)
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

While doing this (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13822), I missed the absence of the null.

Can you introduce a null value that evaluates to true emptiness and not just an empty string?

Because ::$c = Null; getpathcomponent(<curpath>,$c,); is not the same as ::$c = '';/*or set $c;*/ getpathcomponent(<curpath>,$c,);
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, I don't see a way to do that.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

SammaySarkar wrote:While doing this (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13822), I missed the absence of the null.

Can you introduce a null value that evaluates to true emptiness and not just an empty string?

Because ::$c = Null; getpathcomponent(<curpath>,$c,); is not the same as ::$c = '';/*or set $c;*/ getpathcomponent(<curpath>,$c,);
Beg your pardon, but: $c=Null; is wrong syntax, it must be $c='Null';

Though I'm not convinced it does what you want it to?
(Sure: $c='Null'; is not $c=""; - but what should it be??)

And I think it's not really neccessary as long as you can express the meaning of a non-specified operand by supplying the default value for this operand:

$a = func('');   // func uses ''
 $a = func();       // func uses 'dflt'
 $a = func('dflt');   // func uses 'dflt'
 $a = func('dings');   // func uses 'dings'

Function func( $p='dflt') {Echo $p;}
For GetPathComponent(): 2nd operand omitted = 2nd operand = 'path'.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )