This is a greedy, selfish, unreasonable wish . . .

Features wanted...
semicodin

This is a greedy, selfish, unreasonable wish . . .

Post by semicodin »

But I'm greedy, selfish and unreasonable so I'm running it up the flagpole anyway. :biggrin:

What would rocket XY into the File Manager Hall of Fame is the concept I (and everyone else) was introduced to when Firefox began displaying those thumbnails of sites recently visited. What I'm referring to is an engine capable of taking a (user-defined size) screenshot of every HTML file in any folder containing HTML files. Not a command line process (Image Magick); not a user-invoked script. You open XY's viewer panel/window dedicated to this one function and the visual results spill before you automatically, stored (mySql) and instantly updated if new files have been added. Little "art galleries" of your HTML.

I stumbled on an open source app from Holland called "Arles Web Page Creator" with an extremely impressive HTML-TO-IMAGE feature included in the program, and found myself in thrall watching those thumbnails render. There were my botched experiments. My successful projects. HTML I had abandoned, buried under the hundreds of other HTML files that assumed priority for one reason or another. Having a visual image of the HTML you've compiled is just unbelievably helpful. This is one of those times I wish I was better at programming, I'd be all over this. Mozilla has done it. Arles has mastered it. And there are a few shareware versions (of dubious reputation, trust me, they're not worth the bandwidth).

If XY could add this feature you'd be eating everyone else's file manager for lunch lol. :beer:

admin
Site Admin

Re: This is a greedy, selfish, unreasonable wish . . .

Post by admin »

Totally greedy, selfish and unreasonable! HTML...!? What the heck, this is a file manager, not a web authoring tool. This was a rude, honest, negative reply. ;)

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

admin wrote:Totally greedy, selfish and unreasonable! HTML...!? What the heck, this is a file manager, not a web authoring tool. This was a rude, honest, negative reply.
Yes Grasshoppa, but from tiny nut grow huge tree! :mrgreen: Seriously, this is a wonderful file manager and I thank you for it. I also thank you for the merciful decision to vest the application with an icon that doesn't contain either yellow or blue.

-s

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's wrong with yellow and blue? Just curious...

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

And are you sure you didn't mean yellow and green? I almost remembered somebody in the sky with diamonds... :mrgreen:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

admin wrote:What's wrong with yellow and blue? Just curious...
Nothing! With the exception that almost every other File Manager vests their executable's icon with a yellow folder — and if not Yellow Folder (or Son of Yellow Folder), a program icon containing images of folders or trees in the hue of blue. What I like about XY's logo is it doesn't look like everyone else's!! I can't tell you how many times I've had to use my resource editor to replace the executable's icon with some other iconic design/color scheme because the author's concept may be great but is nonetheless swiming in the Design Sea Ubiquitous:

I have to be able to tell them apart. :shock:

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

SammaySarkar wrote:And are you sure you didn't mean yellow and green? I almost remembered somebody in the sky with diamonds...
You in much danger of expose your age Grasshoppa! Thread author know nothing Lucy make diamond fly you very tricky. :mrgreen: