devices not appearing under "Network"

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
sfwood

devices not appearing under "Network"

Post by sfwood »

Hi, I've found a few posts that seem to relate to this but not a definitive answer. Apologies if I'm duplicating.

I have just installed XYplorer. Mostly it runs very smoothly but I have the problem that not all of the computers/devices that should appear under "Network" show up. On my network I have two NAS boxes, a networked printer, two Win 7 machines, and two XP machines. In Win Explorer and other browsers (Xplorer2, ACDSee) all of these devices show up under "Network". In XYplorer, only the Win 7 PC running XYplorer and one of the NAS boxes show up under "Network". I can type "\\nas-name\" in the location bar and view the other NAS and its shares, and then the other NAS and its shares will continue to appear in the tree as long as XYplorer stays open. However, this is enough of a hassle that I hope there is a solution.

I have tried setting "\Config\Startup & Exit\Cache network shares" which has no effect. Any suggestions? Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: devices not appearing under "Network"

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome!

Please run this through the address bar:

Code: Select all

::enumshellfolderitems 61;
A list should appear. Does it show any of the missing items?

Don

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

A list should appear. Does it show any of the missing items?
Thanks for replying. Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes, a list appears, and not one I would ever want to appear in any file manager display =:O I have pasted it below, with names simplified, first in logical order, and then as it appears, (in case the order is relevant). A couple of the computers are not shown, I assume because they were not turned on. The printer isn't shown, which is fine because showing that doesn't make much sense to me anyway. NAS2, the one that hasn't shown initially appears, but not with a "Storage" entry as for NAS1, which is possibly fishy. Now, all of this said, since I posted, "COMP1", the computer running XYplorer, which was the only computer shown in XYplorer, has disappeared, and NAS2, (what is most important to be readily visible), has begun to appear. Perhaps "Cache Network Servers" has finally kicked in?.. Anyway, thanks in advance for any insights you can offer. -Steve

adjusted for readability:
NAS1;Computer
NAS1;Storage
NAS2;Computer
NAS2;Other Devices
TwonkyMedia [NAS2];Media Devices
ROUTER upnp igd10;Network Infrastructure
ROUTER dslforum tr064;Other Devices
COMP1;Computer
COMP1; ActiveUserRunningXYplorer:;Media Devices
COMP1: RandomUser:;Media Devices
COMP2;Computer
COMP2: RandomUser:;Media Devices

original order:
COMP2;Computer
COMP2: RandomUser:;Media Devices
NAS2;Other Devices
ROUTER upnp igd10;Network Infrastructure
TwonkyMedia [NAS2];Media Devices
ROUTER dslforum tr064;Other Devices
NAS1;Storage
COMP1;Computer
COMP1; ActiveUserRunningXYplorer:;Media Devices
NAS1;Computer
NAS2;Computer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Now if you look at all items having ";Computer" after the name, would that be the complete list that should be shown under Network?

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

admin wrote:Thanks. Now if you look at all items having ";Computer" after the name, would that be the complete list that should be shown under Network?
Yes, that would be exactly right. Just not what's happening :? .
Thanks, Steve

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sfwood wrote:
admin wrote:Thanks. Now if you look at all items having ";Computer" after the name, would that be the complete list that should be shown under Network?
Yes, that would be exactly right. Just not what's happening :? .
Thanks, Steve
It's not happening because I have not implemented it yet. It's (for me) a radically new approach to the task of enumerating the network. I'll implement it next week.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Will I have a problem?

The first call to enumshellfolderitems, after a long delay, just displayed an error-msg. Sorry: I didn't copy it :oops:
Hey - now it reoccurs: a window "XYpolorer Scripting" is shown, with highlighted command "enumshellfolderitems 61;" and errortext:

Object variable or With block variable not set
enumshellfolderitems
Reason might be, in any way, a technical problem with the third device - an USB-stick on a DSL-Router. But the command shouldn't stop this way?

After clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Speedport.ip and waiting for a timeout (no shares are shown then) I tried enumshell... again - this time with some success:

\\Diskstation;
\\Pca;
\\speedport.ip;Speedport W 921V File-Server
(The third is the non-working stick - please ignore.)

What makes me wonder is that most entries don't show more than their names! (No ";Computer" or alike...)
Diskstation is a real NAS-device. One share of it is currently connected and can be accessed from XY without any problem.
Pca is the local PC - no reason to access it via network :wink:

So my main question: could the missing ";Computer" lead to any problem in the future?

Edit - just to say: all in WXP SP3
Last edited by PeterH on 12 Jan 2012 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Just happened to see some kind of glitch. The next lines always reference to the tree:

1. clicking Netzwerkumgebung shows "Netzwerkumgebung" in status bar
2. clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Pca/Install shows \\Pca\Install\
3. but clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Pca shows "Netzwerkumgebung"

Case 1. and 2. seem OK, while 3. seems strange to me?

Note: the contents of List always is as expected.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Running that command here yields an XY scripting dialog with message: "61 is not a valid CSIDL."
Various Information wrote:XYplorer: 10.70.0206 (Pro Edition - Lifetime License Pro)
Upgraded from: 10.70.0204
Loaded in: 3,001 ms at 1/12/2012 6:48:58 AM
Uptime: 20 secs
Memory Usage: 28,776 KB, Virtual Memory Size: 15,944 KB

OS: Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3), 32-bit (v5.1)
OS Uptime: 2 days, 52 mins, 32 secs
User Role: Admin
Themes: Yes

LocaleID: 1033
ThreadLocale: 2057
Default ANSI CodePage: 1252
Active CodePage: 1252
DBCS CodePage: No

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:Just happened to see some kind of glitch. The next lines always reference to the tree:

1. clicking Netzwerkumgebung shows "Netzwerkumgebung" in status bar
2. clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Pca/Install shows \\Pca\Install\
3. but clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Pca shows "Netzwerkumgebung"

Case 1. and 2. seem OK, while 3. seems strange to me?

Note: the contents of List always is as expected.
Indeed, good find! Thanks. Fix comes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:Will I have a problem?

The first call to enumshellfolderitems, after a long delay, just displayed an error-msg. Sorry: I didn't copy it :oops:
Hey - now it reoccurs: a window "XYpolorer Scripting" is shown, with highlighted command "enumshellfolderitems 61;" and errortext:

Object variable or With block variable not set
enumshellfolderitems
Reason might be, in any way, a technical problem with the third device - an USB-stick on a DSL-Router. But the command shouldn't stop this way?

After clicking Netzwerkumgebung/Speedport.ip and waiting for a timeout (no shares are shown then) I tried enumshell... again - this time with some success:

\\Diskstation;
\\Pca;
\\speedport.ip;Speedport W 921V File-Server
(The third is the non-working stick - please ignore.)

What makes me wonder is that most entries don't show more than their names! (No ";Computer" or alike...)
Diskstation is a real NAS-device. One share of it is currently connected and can be accessed from XY without any problem.
Pca is the local PC - no reason to access it via network :wink:

So my main question: could the missing ";Computer" lead to any problem in the future?

Edit - just to say: all in WXP SP3
1. The error is indeed a problem. I currently cannot understand what went wrong.
2. Missing "Computer": no problem. MS changed everything from XP to Win7, but I know what they changed. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:Running that command here yields an XY scripting dialog with message: "61 is not a valid CSIDL."
Oh. Are you sure you have a network?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:Running that command here yields an XY scripting dialog with message: "61 is not a valid CSIDL."
Network is just the new name for My Network Places, no?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:
Yeah, the name depends, you can configure it somewhere in Windows. I called mine "Nethood".

Anyway, 61 = CSIDL_COMPUTERSNEARME. I'm shocked that this does not work at your end. It MUST work. :evil:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:
Yeah, the name depends, you can configure it somewhere in Windows. I called mine "Nethood".

Anyway, 61 = CSIDL_COMPUTERSNEARME. I'm shocked that this does not work at your end. It MUST work. :evil:
This computer is configured to be part of a domain not workgroup. Any idea if that makes a difference?

For what it's worth I have no Computers Near Me entry under My Network Places, so XY at least appears to be inline with WE.