Tags 2.0

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tags 2.0

Post by admin »

jjk wrote:
admin wrote:Add = Add to the existing tags
Edit = Replace the existing tags
OK
So, Adding Tags "aa,bb,cc" to "aa,dd,cc" gives "aa,bb,cc,dd".
I understand the logic, but a little weird...
Weird? It's merging what needs to be merged. Total natural.

jjk

Post by jjk »

admin wrote:It's merging what needs to be merged.
Sure, that is OK :)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:I thought it would be self-explaining. So my wording lacks...

Add = Add to the existing tags
Edit = Replace the existing tags
Sorry: if I hear "edit" I don't think of replacing contents.
Think of editing a file - would you think of "replacing" it's contents???
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

PeterH wrote:Sorry: if I hear "edit" I don't think of replacing contents.
Think of editing a file - would you think of "replacing" it's contents???
Sure, well probably not all of it in one go, but when editing a file stuff is replaced...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

How about reducing the top three options to two:
-Combine Add and Edit tags into one and have it like Add/Remove tags...
-And change "Add tags by list" to "Edit tag list".

Also, the tag list items could be pre-checked if file has that tag already.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:How about reducing the top three options to two:

I don't really understand... :|

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From my POV Tags 2.0 is hereby completed. 8)

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:
serendipity wrote:How about reducing the top three options to two:

I don't really understand... :|
Actually i changed my mind on this, now this is what i think:

In the right-click menu of Tags column, you could combine two menus "Add tags" and "Edit tags" into one menu "Add/Remove tags" since both have the same interface.

Similarly you could combine "Add tags by list" and "Remove tags by list" into one menu "Add/Remove tags by list". In this interface, already tagged files will show corresponding tags as checked and others as unchecked.

And in the toolbar combine Add/Remove tags from list and the dropdown has a quick check/uncheck kind of interface like this:
Checked Tags.jpg
Checked Tags.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

jjk

Post by jjk »

serendipity wrote:In the right-click menu of Tags column, you could combine two menus "Add tags" and "Edit tags" into one menu "Add/Remove tags" since both have the same interface.

Similarly you could combine "Add tags by list" and "Remove tags by list" into one menu "Add/Remove tags by list". In this interface, already tagged files will show corresponding tags as checked and others as unchecked.

And in the toolbar combine Add/Remove tags from list and the dropdown has a quick check/uncheck kind of interface like this:
Seem to be good ideas :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jjk wrote:
serendipity wrote:In the right-click menu of Tags column, you could combine two menus "Add tags" and "Edit tags" into one menu "Add/Remove tags" since both have the same interface.

If I get you right what you want is "Edit Tags by List...". This option is missing from the commands in Favorites because it does not really work as smoothly as the other ones. You would need to merge the tag list and with the tags of the current item -- but what list is that? What order should it have? How do you add items that are not in that list? I currently cannot see this working. And even less so as a popup menu.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:
jjk wrote:

If I get you right what you want is "Edit Tags by List...". This option is missing from the commands in Favorites because it does not really work as smoothly as the other ones. You would need to merge the tag list and with the tags of the current item -- but what list is that? What order should it have? How do you add items that are not in that list? I currently cannot see this working. And even less so as a popup menu.
Never mind, your method seems good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm a bit surprised about the meager feedback on the Tags 2.0 feature. I personally count this among the best things I ever added to the app, as powerful and revolutionary and easy-to-use as can be. Should I blame this on Xmas? :)

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the meager feedback on the Tags 2.0 feature. I personally count this among the best things I ever added to the app, as powerful and revolutionary and easy-to-use as can be. Should I blame this on Xmas? :)
I too think that this feature is top notch. I have been using this (although not extensively) with great effect. Especially at work where i have several thousands of files, its easy to make a search and tag them.
Also, are you considering some ways of handling files when ported to another disk or while backing up when there are collisions. How to merge these tags?
Example: I have two files with same names with different tags on different disks.
Three obvious options while backing one with other are: discard source tag, discard destination tag, merge both tags.

I'll come back with more feedback when i have time.
But thanks for this feature, i am already reaping its benefits.
Your next beer is on me Don! :D

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

admin wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the meager feedback on the Tags 2.0 feature. I personally count this among the best things I ever added to the app, as powerful and revolutionary and easy-to-use as can be. Should I blame this on Xmas? :)
Oh boy!
How about - for picture files:
Import Picasa star as a tag,
Import Picasa tags in toto as tags ?
You asked for it, right? :wink:
But certainly not something I am pining for right away, just if you really want another challenge;
BUT
Can I import descript.ion as a tag (or a comment, either one) yet?
Regards Emil

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kucera wrote:
Oh boy!
How about - for picture files:
Import Picasa star as a tag,
Import Picasa tags in toto as tags ?
You asked for it, right? :wink:
But certainly not something I am pining for right away, just if you really want another challenge;
BUT
Can I import descript.ion as a tag (or a comment, either one) yet?
Regards Emil
Don't know about Picasa, but importing descript.ion into tag.dat is a task without mysteries. Both formats are simple and known, so you just need to crawl the file system, collect the data from descript.ion files and write them into tag.dat. Nice weekend job for a programmer. Hey, you can even do it using XY scripting... (spare the crawling part by letting XY find all descript.ion files, and then work on the search results list... should be easy).