Tags 2.0

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
grindax

Re: Tags 2.0

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:
admin wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the meager feedback on the Tags 2.0 feature. I personally count this among the best things I ever added to the app, as powerful and revolutionary and easy-to-use as can be. Should I blame this on Xmas? :)
The main thing I'm interested in to do with Tags, is to have full search functionality for Tags integrated into the Find Files (CTRL-F) panel.
You already have: prefix "tags:" to the name field...

But isn't the new "Find by Tags" toolbar button easier and more powerful?

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

admin wrote:importing descript.ion into tag.dat is a task without mysteries. Both formats are simple and known, so you just need to crawl the file system, collect the data from descript.ion files and write them into tag.dat. Nice weekend job for a programmer. Hey, you can even do it using XY scripting... (spare the crawling part by letting XY find all descript.ion files, and then work on the search results list... should be easy).
Ahh, to be a programmer ! (and one with a weekend to spare?) Easy if I were one...
@ the scripting wizards out there: anybody able and willing? :?:
Regards Emil

ilya

Post by ilya »

New tags implementation is great!
I only have one small request - a gap between the tags (space after comma when file have tags more then one). Now it shown as: Movie,Share,Horror; But it would be very good to show with spaces: Movie, Share, Horror

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

grindax wrote:
admin wrote:
grindax wrote:
admin wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the meager feedback on the Tags 2.0 feature. I personally count this among the best things I ever added to the app, as powerful and revolutionary and easy-to-use as can be. Should I blame this on Xmas? :)
The main thing I'm interested in to do with Tags, is to have full search functionality for Tags integrated into the Find Files (CTRL-F) panel.
You already have: prefix "tags:" to the name field...

But isn't the new "Find by Tags" toolbar button easier and more powerful?
The new toolbar buttons for Tags are definitely very useful and very powerful. However, I still think the Find Files panel is incomplete without something separate for labels and tags. It doesn't seem intuitive to me how to search for something by name, yet at the same time also restrict the results by tag or label. Sometimes I might like to do quite a complex search from within the Find Files panel, where I'm choosing from many different criteria from the available tabs, and I'd like to further customize the results by tags or labels. Perhaps an extra tab in the 'Find Files' panel specifically for filtering by tags and labels would be helpful.
Whats wrong with "lbl:" for Labels and "tags:" for Tags from name field? You can certainly do a complex search.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

serendipity wrote:
grindax wrote:However, I still think the Find Files panel is incomplete without something separate for labels and tags. It doesn't seem intuitive to me how to search for something by name, yet at the same time also restrict the results by tag or label. Sometimes I might like to do quite a complex search from within the Find Files panel, where I'm choosing from many different criteria from the available tabs, and I'd like to further customize the results by tags or labels. Perhaps an extra tab in the 'Find Files' panel specifically for filtering by tags and labels would be helpful.
Whats wrong with "lbl:" for Labels and "tags:" for Tags from name field? You can certainly do a complex search.
I'm on grindax's side here...I see Tags & Labels as more similar to size/date/attributes and thus I'd also like to keep my name search values separated from any search values used for tags/labels...and being able to do so would seem to require a separate tab for it, (which might not prevent being able to specify it as now) but add the ability to mix/match criteria easier.

And I also agree with grindax that it would make it clearer/intuitive as to how to do a tag/label search.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
serendipity wrote:
grindax wrote:However, I still think the Find Files panel is incomplete without something separate for labels and tags. It doesn't seem intuitive to me how to search for something by name, yet at the same time also restrict the results by tag or label. Sometimes I might like to do quite a complex search from within the Find Files panel, where I'm choosing from many different criteria from the available tabs, and I'd like to further customize the results by tags or labels. Perhaps an extra tab in the 'Find Files' panel specifically for filtering by tags and labels would be helpful.
I'm on grindax's side here...I see Tags & Labels as more similar to size/date/attributes and thus I'd also like to keep my name search values separated from any search values used for tags/labels...and being able to do so would seem to require a separate tab for it, (which might not prevent being able to specify it as now) but add the ability to mix/match criteria easier.

And I also agree with grindax that it would make it clearer/intuitive as to how to do a tag/label search.
Aah, i see now. There is no way to search both name and Labels/Tags/Comments (LTC) at the same time, its either/or.
For some reason i thought i can use boolean to combine name and LTC search to achieve this, but seems like not. Sorry for misunderstanding. :oops:
Hence, me the fool also requests some way for combined name + LTC search.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, searching for different "name fields" (e.g. tags and file name, or tags and label, or len and comment) at the same time (i.e. thru Boolean combination) is not possible currently, but planned. When this is technically achieved one can think about enriching the interface to have separate input boxes for each of these fields.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ilya wrote:New tags implementation is great!
I only have one small request - a gap between the tags (space after comma when file have tags more then one). Now it shown as: Movie,Share,Horror; But it would be very good to show with spaces: Movie, Share, Horror
I tried to save as much space as possible, but I agree it does not look very nice. Or are your reasons other than esthetical?

ilya

Post by ilya »

Yes, exactly esthetical.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ilya wrote:Yes, exactly esthetical.
I made a test and yes, I agree! It's clearly better with commas. Will change...

ilya

Post by ilya »

Thank you! :D

ilya

Post by ilya »

The more I use tags, the more I like this new feature. It's great!

But I can not understand how to find by tags but does not include subfolders? When I uncheck Include subfolders in Find Files panel the result is same when this option is checked. Same with address bar: with /r and without this attribute find by tags give result with all subfolders.

XYplorer 9.90.0010

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ilya wrote:The more I use tags, the more I like this new feature. It's great!

But I can not understand how to find by tags but does not include subfolders? When I uncheck Include subfolders in Find Files panel the result is same when this option is checked. Same with address bar: with /r and without this attribute find by tags give result with all subfolders.

XYplorer 9.90.0010
Indeed a bug! To overwrite the setting in Find Files panel you should pass a switch but no "r", e.g.

Code: Select all

?tags:"new" /
But this stopped working (since 20101217). Fixes comes...