Tags 2.0

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Tags 2.0

Post by j_c_hallgren »

SkyFrontier wrote:..well, it seems I'm a bit too late but all the week I thought:

STAMPS!!!

That's the name of the new thing! :D

Consider it for a moment. All the rest should be as it currently is.
Can you provide a clue as what major software packages and/or FM's use this term already for this? This name needs to be as consistent as possible with other appl's for marketing purposes. I'm not trying to put down your idea but that was part of the problem as we needed to find something that was the best or a well known term for this which users would recognize and be familiar with.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

In fact I was just having this in mind:
-uniqueness of tagging in XYplorer perspective once it will both "tag" and "categorize";
-nothing more adequate to what the feature will do.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

fireslug

Post by fireslug »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like a status update - is this feature already in a beta version, or scheduled to appear in a beta in a near future?

As for what to call it, I don't really care as long as I get the functionality. But I think "tag" would be the best name (and rename existing tags to "flags" or similar) with "label" a close second.

Also, I need to say that I love the mini-tree to death.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fireslug wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like a status update - is this feature already in a beta version, or scheduled to appear in a beta in a near future?

As for what to call it, I don't really care as long as I get the functionality. But I think "tag" would be the best name (and rename existing tags to "flags" or similar) with "label" a close second.

Also, I need to say that I love the mini-tree to death.
Me, too. :mrgreen:

"Tags" will be the name, it is not yet coded, but will be in one of the next versions. I'll probably do Kernel Copy and Preview Pane first, though.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Is it possible for XY to auto apply tags for newly created files?
Or tag newly created items by specific extensions, either?
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:So, per file, there would/could be:
- One Tag
- Many Keywords
- One Comment

The only unfortunate problem with this nice solution is: there is already a Shell column/field/property called "Keywords". :( This is currently holding me back... any idea anybody?
How about a combination of both: tagword?

Via search, I've found it used mostly as related to advertising based on words found in text of a web site, but it seems to be used by a couple of music player type appl's also...so it's not an unknown word but still flexible enough maybe?

Either that or create your own term! Like XYword! :wink:
Either one would probably work for me. But just to throw another one into the mix - may not "Tag2" or "Tags2" be just as simple?
Regards Emil

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This seems to be the clear winner (and I think I can do it):
1) Label; Tags; Comment

Notice: After publication of 9.80 (which is imminent) I will dive down into the lab and work on Tags 2.0. This needs some deeper thinking and restructuring (similar to other past biggies like DP and Undo). I'm confident that Tags 2.0 will happen this year!

jjk

Post by jjk »

Hi Don

Two good news for me :
1) your think about my last request
2) and now the hope to get Tags 2.0 before end of year.

Sure, it would be a beautiful gift for the 5th anniversary of XYplorer who was born on 26 Nov 2005

Congratulations for all your work since so many years !!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI, I'm making great progress with Tags 2.0 and I'm sure now I can deliver this killer feature before Xmas! :D You'll get a first taste of it probably tomorrow...

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:FYI, I'm making great progress with Tags 2.0 and I'm sure now I can deliver this killer feature before Xmas! :D You'll get a first taste of it probably tomorrow...
Awesome, waiting to test this.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

This time user could have the power to decide which level could determine validity of tags in the file structure.
XY could read folder structure from right to left:

Code: Select all

X:\Level 4\Level 3\Level 2\Level 1
That way, tags could be fully portable by just matching "Level 3\Level 2\Level 1" (for instance) instead of the full path. If user decides that "level 1" will be base, then any folder having same name of a tagged folder will receive a given tag.

Currently if I move C:\Temp\Test\Tools tagged folder to D:\Temp\Test\Tools into another computer and open it with the same installation of XY (via thumb drive), tag will be lost.
But if I could tell XY that "\Test\Tools" (level 2) must remain tagged (say "RED"), that would be great - any matching "\Test\Tools"* structure will display RED as tag. And if I tell XY that "level 1" must remain tagged, then any "tools" folder should display the RED tag**.

D:\Temp\Test\Tools - tagged RED
F:\Online\Test\Tools - tagged RED

D:\Temp\Test\Tools - tagged RED
F:\Online\Tools - tagged RED

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

v9.80.0108 : I just saw that a last minute change made the "Add Tags..." command dysfunctional. Sorry, fix comes.

jjk

Post by jjk »

Release 9.80.0111 brought some enhancements to Favorites/Tag menu.
Good work.

But now what is the difference between Add Tags and Edit Tags ? I don't see it...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jjk wrote:Release 9.80.0111 brought some enhancements to Favorites/Tag menu.
Good work.

But now what is the difference between Add Tags and Edit Tags ? I don't see it...
I thought it would be self-explaining. So my wording lacks...

Add = Add to the existing tags
Edit = Replace the existing tags

jjk

Post by jjk »

admin wrote:Add = Add to the existing tags
Edit = Replace the existing tags
OK
So, Adding Tags "aa,bb,cc" to "aa,dd,cc" gives "aa,bb,cc,dd".
I understand the logic, but a little weird...

BTW, will be there any way to get the list of all tags, even those which are not in the Tags list, i.e. those entered with "Add new tag(s) to tag list" box unchecked ?
So, if I forget to check that box, I'll be able to use the added tags later by list.

Just a little tip : suppose I Add Tags "a1,b2,c3" to a file, but with "Add new tag(s) to tag list" box unchecked. If a1, b2, c3 are not already in the Tags list, i will not be able to add them by list. How to retrieve them to be able to ? Just, select the same file (with "a1,b2,c3" tags).
Edit Tags with box checked. The new tags are now added to the list.