Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Yes, "Overlay" for example.
Exactly! But since it's a very narrow field, maybe "Ovl" so no excess space -- unless you plan to have multiple icons side-by-side?
Yep, although "Ovl" looks a bit stupid. But, let's not continue discussing this before I decide to make the column... ;)

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:I don't know a way to get more than one overlay information. Windows clearly states one overlay (or none). The negotiation is done before the results are fed to the API.
Yeah, I don't know how it could be achieved either. It's a shame because Microsoft keeps complaining in their blog posts about how overlays kind of suck since they can only relay 1 detail about a file, but they don't provide a way to get around this limitation either. This is why they continue to mention adding or using columns instead.
admin wrote:Conc. the column: I surely plan to add shell columns but this is a big feature (in the sense of: a lot of tricky work, and probably a long debug phase).
But: if sorting is not that important I could quite quickly add an option to draw the normal icon column (after widening it by 16 pixels) so that the overlay is drawn on the left and the icon on the right. Would that help? (Advantage: the same method could also be applied to non-Details views)
Interesting thought, not sure if left or right of file icon makes more sense but it could be a good approach.

Though it might be a bit ugly if you don't ensure that the file icons and names are still aligned in a grouping of files with and without overlays.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:But: if sorting is not that important I could quite quickly add an option to draw the normal icon column (after widening it by 16 pixels) so that the overlay is drawn on the left and the icon on the right. Would that help? (Advantage: the same method could also be applied to non-Details views)
Interesting thought, not sure if left or right of file icon makes more sense but it could be a good approach.

Though it might be a bit ugly if you don't ensure that the file icons and names are still aligned in a grouping of files with and without overlays.
Agree that as long as overlays and icons are lined up in sub-columns, this approach should work as a interim solution and would help make the actual icons clearer without them being overlaid...and the fact that it works in non-Details is definitely good.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I spoke too soon: I don't find a way to retrieve the position of the overlays in the system image list.

After you browsed a location with overlays, you will see the overlays at random positions in this list (only Windows knows where which icon is positioned and why) running this script:

Code: Select all

::sysicons;
I'm not aware of any API that tells me the position of the 15 possible overlays.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:I'm not aware of any API that tells me the position of the 15 possible overlays.
Anything in SHGetIconOverlayIndex or IShellIconOverlay help?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:I'm not aware of any API that tells me the position of the 15 possible overlays.
Anything in SHGetIconOverlayIndex or IShellIconOverlay help?
Nope.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx IShellIconOverlayManager?

EDIT: How obtuse of me... completely ignoring that these are all interfaces you'd need to implement, huh? :oops:

janaka

Post by janaka »

Got to Tools->configuration->Advance
check "Show Icon Overlays"