Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
msalvatori

Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Post by msalvatori »

Is anyone successfully using TortoiseSVN 1.5 with XYplorer? I understand that this worked at one time. I have Show icon overlays enabled, but TortoiseSVN 1.5 context menus don't even show up.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Icon Overlays and TortoiseSVN 1.5

Post by admin »

msalvatori wrote:Is anyone successfully using TortoiseSVN 1.5 with XYplorer? I understand that this worked at one time. I have Show icon overlays enabled, but TortoiseSVN 1.5 context menus don't even show up.
:shock:

If you can give me a quick step-by-step I will test this.
- where download TortoiseSVN 1.5
- how create some of those overlays for testing

lole

Post by lole »

msalvatori wrote:Is anyone successfully using TortoiseSVN 1.5 with XYplorer? I understand that this worked at one time. I have Show icon overlays enabled, but TortoiseSVN 1.5 context menus don't even show up.
Hi,

It works for me. I get bothe the icon and the context menu.

I am on a Win XP Pro with SP3.

Are you on a 64-bit system or/and Vista?

Lars-Olof

msalvatori

Post by msalvatori »

I am on a 64-bit W2K3. I guess the word-size makes a difference. This is where TortoiseSVN can be downloaded. Do you still want a procedure for obtaining the overlays? Or does 64-bit make the idea out-of-the-question?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

msalvatori wrote:I am on a 64-bit W2K3. I guess the word-size makes a difference. This is where TortoiseSVN can be downloaded. Do you still want a procedure for obtaining the overlays? Or does 64-bit make the idea out-of-the-question?
I guess we can skip that. It's very likely the 64-bit thing.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads wrote:Note for x64 users: you can install both the 32 and 64-bit version side by side. This will enable the TortoiseSVN features also for 32-bit applications.
That's what you'd need to do to have your cake and eat it too. :D Unfortunately, I don't use a 64-bit OS so I can't confirm that it works in XY.

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

This is still an issue for me.

I have Vista Home Premium x64.

I downloaded and installed both the 32 and 64 bit TortoiseSVN packages as noted above.

The icon overlays DO NOT work in Xyplorer, nor indeed do the TSVN context menu items (also as noted by msalvatori above).

However, the icon overlays and the context menu items work fine in Vista's native Windows Explorer. Therefore, I have been using Windows Explorer when doing my development work (during which I tend to need to use the file system heavily :p )

I have another machine with both Vista 32 and 64 bit I can put TSVN on and see what happens.

I have used TSVN for several years on several different Windows XP machines. I still use it heavily, so hopefully this can be fixed. I wonder if TortoiseHG and TortoiseBZR have similar problems (I think BZR at least shares the TSVN icon overlays now).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

drewkeller wrote:The icon overlays DO NOT work in Xyplorer, nor indeed do the TSVN context menu items (also as noted by msalvatori above).
They should. Are you maybe talking about (UNC or mapped) network locations?

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

admin wrote:
drewkeller wrote:The icon overlays DO NOT work in Xyplorer, nor indeed do the TSVN context menu items (also as noted by msalvatori above).
They should. Are you maybe talking about (UNC or mapped) network locations?
No, I'm testing on a local hard drive. But I know why you're asking... at work, I use a mapped network drive and have the appropriate options checked to show the overlays (including the config file tweak). But that's XP and I have no problems with it showing the overlays.

I tested it on the other machine that has both Vista 32 and 64. Here's what I did.

1. Using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
a. Download TSVN 64 bit. Install. Reboot.
b. Download and install Xyplorer trial (v7.70.0023).
---- Result: Windows Explorer shows the icon overlays, but XYplorer does not.
c. Download TSVN 32 bit. Install. Reboot.
---- Result: same as before.

2. Using Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium.
a. Download TSVN 32 bit. Install. Reboot.
b. Download and install XYplorer trial.
---- Result: same as before.

But maybe it's just me. Got any more ideas to try?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

drewkeller wrote:But maybe it's just me. Got any more ideas to try?
You might give Menu View | Show Items | WOW64 Redirection (64-bit only) a try...

But people should reply that actually use Tortoise on 64 bit...!

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Have you read through either of these?
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=20475
http://www.nabble.com/Overlay-icons-not ... 64451.html

(Sorry to link to the competition Don! :oops: )

I use TortoiseSVN and the overlays usually work fine but I'm on XP so I'm not much help.

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

Setting Tortoise's status cache to Shell seems to solve the problem.

Enabling/disabling the UAC and running as admin/not running as admin seemed to do different things depending on what order they were done and perhaps some other variable I didn't quite figure out.

But the explanation that the cache needs to be available with the same permissions that XYplorer is run in seems to be the real explanation. Hopefully that makes sense to anyone else trying to figure this out in the future.

Thanks for the help, Qwerty and Don.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:(Sorry to link to the competition Don! :oops: )
What competetion? :wink: No problem, if it helps. I see that the post-per-user ratio in XY's forum is much higher (16 times!) than in TC's forum. I wonder what follows from this?

conker

Post by conker »

I just wanted to say that I am seeing the same issue. My setup:
XYPlorer 7.80.0000
TortoiseSVN 1.5.5, Build 14361 - 64 Bit , 2008/10/24 18:06:34
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64, Service Pack 2

Hopefully, someone can provide a solution, so I don't have to switch to Windows Explorer for my development work? How inefficient!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

conker wrote:I just wanted to say that I am seeing the same issue. My setup:
XYPlorer 7.80.0000
TortoiseSVN 1.5.5, Build 14361 - 64 Bit , 2008/10/24 18:06:34
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64, Service Pack 2

Hopefully, someone can provide a solution, so I don't have to switch to Windows Explorer for my development work? How inefficient!
Didn't drewkeller's solution work for you? -> http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 213#p28213