Sync-browse with 3rd party viewers

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Stef123

Sync-browse with 3rd party viewers

Post by Stef123 »

Is there some kind of interface/ connectivity/ plugin architecture a viewer has to match to latch on to XY browsing? I am thinking portable viewers I already own. Not necessarily talking MDBU capability but merely live-sycing the preview with what's selected in the list window.

If this were to happen in the lower info pane, great. If not, well, I might pin the external window on top, as long as it follows my selections of pdf and docx in the list window. The tool I have in mind is compatible with TC, but I will ask the developer to meet the requirements of XY, if I knew what they are, and if there is any hope at all for such a symbiosis (in lieu of QuickViewPlus which has no portable version).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sync-browse with 3rd party viewers

Post by admin »

No, this all works via the shell, so not portable. There is no other interface for this in XY.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks. Not 100% sure I understand what you mean by "shell". Does it mean there is hope for portable programs that provide a file context menu for the Windows Explorer? Even though they are portable. Or does it grow deeper into the system, the way QuickViewPlus is set up, requiring reboots and file associations and what not?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What Explorer can show thumbnails for, XY can do the image MDBU for.
What Explorer can search text in, XY can do the text MDBU for.

:)

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Hm, guess I have to figure out something else. No thumbs and no search, only the context menu to preview files by opening them in the viewer.

I wouldn't fuss about some weird formats acting up in XY. But pdf and docx - that's a different story, too popular to do without. Seems like I am stuck with other viewers and file managers to preview them smoothly and quickly. A shame :cry: