Delay when deleting files

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JoTo

Delay when deleting files

Post by JoTo »

Hi Donald, Hi XY-Gurus,

i upgraded to XY V10.30.0009 a few days ago using at 2 PCs with one WInXP and the other with Win7-x64.

When i delete a file, i normally press the DEL button and move my hand quickly to the enter button and press it immediately to dismiss the confirmation dialog. I don't want to disable the confirmation at all, but mostly know what i'm doing and so i don't read the dialog and go quickly over it. That worked fine for all prior versions of XY.

Since the update mentioned above, there is a notable delay (0,5-1 sec.) between pressing the DEL button and the dialog popping up. That won't hurt me really if, yes if the immediate followup ENTER-Keypress will go through to XY instead of the dialog box.

That results then e.g. when i want to delete a folder, that XY enters the folder before the dialog pops up, and so the folder is locked and cannot be deleted. The same is true e.g. for a startable file (e.g. a music file or whatever), resulting that the file gets locked by the starting application (player in this example) playback the file (what i don't want) and make it impossible to delete it.

YES i know, your advise can be "So wait a bit before pressing ENTER". And YES that would work, if, yes if i'm not too dumb to remember that i have to wait till the dialog opens. I never remember that and ran into that annoyance 100times a day.

Also, that behaviour was not there in earlier versions of XY...so something has changed somehow.

So my question is, is there a chance to get the fast responding behaviour back in the next version and or are there any new settings i may change to get this behaviour back?

This is not really a bug i suppose, but i had no idea where would be a better place to ask than in the bug forum.

Thanks for reading and hopefully a positive response.

Greetings
JoTo

highend

Re: Delay when deleting files

Post by highend »

I've seen this behavior as well (it takes too long for a confirmation window to appear) but I can't remember with which version it appeared ;(
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not aware of any recent changes that could have had an effect on this.

Generally, an overcrowded recycle bin is known to slow down deletions.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

On my PC, having deletes backgrounded makes for a slight delay?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:On my PC, having deletes backgrounded makes for a slight delay?
Yes, that's another possible reason. Backgrounded operations kick in a little later because XYcopy has to be loaded first.

JoTo

Post by JoTo »

Wooohooo! RESOLVED!

Nas8e9 had the right hint.

For the archives:
Turning off the checkmark under Menu Tools->Configuration->File operations->Background Processing (Apply to)->Delete does the trick.

I'm back to previous fast behaviour. And i double checked that by turning it back on and off and tried to delete a file. The behaviour is definitely reproducible.

Nice! Thanks Nas8e9 and Donald for the quick help!

Greetings
JoTo