Error on Dir Copy/Paste across LAN

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Kob

Error on Dir Copy/Paste across LAN

Post by Kob »

Hi,

Whenever I try to copy a directory containing some files across the local LAN, upon the Paste operation I get an error message (see screenshot) about as many times as there are files in the directory - and nothing get pasted.
To summarize:
Works fine with directories with Windows Explorer across LAN.
Works fine with directories with XYPlorer on the local machine (between drives).
Works fine with individual files with XYPlorer across LAN - but not with directories.

XYPlorer V. 9.9.0900
The paste problem happens both on WIN7 SP1 32Bit and on XP SP3 32Bit.

Any hints?
Attachments
XYP_DirCopyError.GIF
XYP_DirCopyError.GIF (37.59 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Error on Dir Copy/Paste across LAN

Post by admin »

How do you copy the Dirs to the clipboard? Within XYplorer? Ctrl+C?

Kob

Post by Kob »

I use the "Copy" command from the XYPlorer context (pop-up) menu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like the Copy did not work. What kind of folder are you copying (can you give an example path)? In the Tree or in the List?

Kob

Post by Kob »

I have more in-depth info now:
(Nomenclature: Local PC - LOCAL ; LAN PC - LAN ; XYPlorer - XYP ; Windows Explorer - WE)

1. I use RealVNC Viewer on LOCAL to work on LAN (Which runs RealVNC server). Reported error is seen only when copy/paste between the two systems when the target for Paste is XYP. No problem when the target is WE (also see (4) below).
Whether the source is XYP or WE, or whether the target is PC or LAN, does make any difference - still in error as long as the target is XYP.
2. Error is in Paste (not in Copy?) since is if I "copy" on LAN and "paste" on LOCAL's XYP, I get an error - but since the data is still in the buffer I can repeat the "paste" onto LOCAL's WE and it is now successful.
Also, any type of source directory under the described problematic scenario exhibits the problem, e.g. c:\test. In \test I have one or more files of any type.
3. Problem observed if the source is either from the tree or from the list. Also, targeting "Paste" to either tree or list does not make any difference.
4. Problem manifests itself only when working with RealVNC. If I map LAN's root directory to LOCAL's drive, I can copy/paste directories from LAN to PC onto XYP without problems.
5.To reiterate original report: happens only when copy/paste a directory. Individual files copy/paste under RealVNC show no problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, then I was on the wrong track. I have to think...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kob wrote:Works fine with individual files with XYPlorer across LAN - but not with directories.
Did you use the Paste command from the shell context menu?
Can you confirm that it works with one individual file, but does not work with more than file?

Kob

Post by Kob »

1. I am not sure that I know what "shell" means in this context . I use the XYP's "Paste" command from its context (pop-up) menu. All my comments in this thread refer to operations with pop-up menus - I did not use ctrl-C / ctrl-V. If you want me to test these shortcut keys, please let me know.

2. "Can you confirm that it works with one individual file, but does not work with more than file?" - I guess I was not clear enough:
No, I do not confirm your statement: I can select one or more source files, and copy the selection set onto destination without any problems. However, If I select one or more source directories, none is pasted - I get the error message. I did not test a mix of individual files + directrories - If you want me to - please advise.
(when I claimed "Works fine with individual files with XYPlorer across LAN", I meant isolated files, namely files not wrapped under a directory that is being "copied" as a directory. That is, if on LAN, under c:\test, I have 3 files: file1.txt, file2.txt and file3.txt, I can select all three, pop-up the context menu, select "Copy", focus on my LOCAL directory's list and from XYP's pop-up menu select "Paste" - and they are copied successfully. Same method, but selecting c:\test instead of the 3 files themselves, fail on "Paste".)

Kob

Post by Kob »

I suspect that there is a conflict somewhere with buffer management between XYP and RealVNC.

Edit: If you wish to create a binary that produces a trace log on paste operation, I will be more than willing to run it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kob wrote:I suspect that there is a conflict somewhere with buffer management between XYP and RealVNC.

Edit: If you wish to create a binary that produces a trace log on paste operation, I will be more than willing to run it.
Although your previous answer was not what I hoped and assumed it would be, I still give my theory a try in the next version. The theory is that the shell does some magic unknown to me, so I will let it do its magic. So, please try the next beta version v9.90.0904.

Kob

Post by Kob »

I appreciate the speedy reaction. However, no joy (again, using only context menu's Copy/Paste on source and destination)

Source on LAN: E:\kill sub-directory.
Target at LOCAL: XYP's file list of E:\Downloads\

See attached. SaveAttachment procedure now lists the the only file that was inside the source \kill sub-directory.
Attachments
XYP_DirCopyError_V.9.90.0904B.GIF
XYP_DirCopyError_V.9.90.0904B.GIF (37.64 KiB) Viewed 3164 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The question is what is in your clipboard before the paste. When you do menu Edit / Paste Special / Edit Files in Clipboard, what do you see?

Kob

Post by Kob »

1. I turned on LAN from a shutdown state to query the clipboard content.
2. Copying the /kill directory at LAN (using RealVNC to work on LAN), and then move the focus to LOCAL and checking the clipboard content per instructions, showed "no files or folders in the clipboard". "Pasting" at LOCAL produced the reported error message.
3. This is curious: copying the specific file inside /kill at LAN (using RealVNC to work on LAN), and then move the focus to LOCAL, *also* showed "no files or folders in the clipboard". But now "Pasting" was successful (as reported in the past - isolated file(s) are OK).
4. To verify clipboard operations, I tried to use both source and target on LAN (using my RealVNC to work on LAN). There, both cases, namely \kill sub-directory and the individual file test cases did show the appropriate content in the clipboard (and, as reported before, in both cases "Paste" was OK.)

I wonder what you make of (3) - nothing in the clipboard but nevertheless a successful Paste.

Kob

Post by Kob »

I stronly suspect that the problem is due to the way RealVNC manages the clipboard. It does have control over it. My opinion is that in order to solve this you need to install RealVNC (Enterprise) - eval versions are free to download from RealVNC.com - and hook up a tracer/debugger.
The only question is if this case worths the effort...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kob wrote:I stronly suspect that the problem is due to the way RealVNC manages the clipboard. It does have control over it. My opinion is that in order to solve this you need to install RealVNC (Enterprise) - eval versions are free to download from RealVNC.com - and hook up a tracer/debugger.
The only question is if this case worths the effort...
Too much for me at the moment.

But can you dump the clipboard after you copied a folder to it? Simply save a CLP file (you can do this from C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipbrd.exe) and send it to me by email. I might be able to see something in it.