Edit with Notepad++ doesn't appear in the context menu

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Re: Edit with Notepad++ doesn't appear in the context menu

Post by highend »

Sorry Don, I've misunderstood you...

The op can't see his UltraEdit (64bit context menu) entry in the context menu of xyplorer (shows only 32bit context menu entries).

Nothing easier than that...

Of course this was done on a x64 machine (win 7 ultimate).

2 screenshots:
1.png
1.png (58.5 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
2.png
2.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highend wrote:Sorry Don, I've misunderstood you...

The op can't see his UltraEdit (64bit context menu) entry in the context menu of xyplorer (shows only 32bit context menu entries).

Nothing easier than that...

Of course this was done on a x64 machine (win 7 ultimate).
Have you tested whether UltraEdit's menu item works when clicked?
Last edited by nas8e9 on 29 Aug 2011 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And clicking on this menu item will open the 64-bit UltraEdit? That would be nice!

highend

Post by highend »

Do you mean the entry that fastexplorer created? Yes, I did.
And clicking on this menu item will open the 64-bit UltraEdit?
This example was just for the op. UltraEdit itself is no real 64 bit application.

Started from the start menu link the taskmanager displays only a Uedit32.exe *32 task.

Link me a real 64 bit application (that works in trial mode) and I'll give it a try.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highend wrote:
Do you mean the entry that fastexplorer created? Yes, I did.
And clicking on this menu item will open the 64-bit UltraEdit?
This example was just for the op. UltraEdit itself is no real 64 bit application.

Started from the start menu link the taskmanager displays only a Uedit32.exe *32 task.

Link me a real 64 bit application (that works in trial mode) and I'll give it a try.
This would be spectacular news, in the sense that AFAIK this shouldn't work.

You're right that UltraEdit itself is a 32-bit app, but its shell extension (which is loaded in-process by XYplorer) is 64-bit: 32-bit apps can't load 64-bit code in-process. It's apparently possible by using an intermediary shell extension; perhaps that's how Fast Explorer manages it.

Edited to add: this link, among others through Google, works.

highend

Post by highend »

It's apparently possible by using an intermediary shell extension
I've never said that fast explorer is used for loading the original (x86/x64bit) shell extension of any application ;)

Google will find plenty of links where you can download it. Btw. I never tried fast explorer's 64 bit .dll file, everything I needed was working with the 32 bit one.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highend wrote:
It's apparently possible by using an intermediary shell extension
I've never said that fast explorer is used for loading the original (x86/x64bit) shell extension of any application ;)
Sorry for the confusion: I was just listing the one workaround I know other software uses. I'm testing Fast Explorer right now.

Edited to add: I'm afraid Don and I indeed misunderstood you in the sense that Fast Explorer does not solve the 64-bit shell extension problem. It does enable shell context menu editing which, provided the target app supports adequate parameters, can emulate the functionality of shell extensions up to a point. False alarm, unfortunately :cry:.

highend

Post by highend »

The reason why I like fast explorer:

Instead of flooding the registry with entries for every single context menu entry that it builds, it uses it's FEShlExt.dll as a layer for it. It's nearly portable, the only thing that has to be done on a new system is the registering of the .dll file.
Edited to add: I'm afraid Don and I indeed misunderstood you in the sense that Fast Explorer does not solve the 64-bit shell extension problem. It does enable shell context menu editing which, provided the target app supports adequate parameters, can emulate the functionality of shell extensions up to a point. False alarm, unfortunately
It's only a workaround by rebuilding the original context menu. This works for most of the applications though.
Last edited by highend on 29 Aug 2011 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:Edited to add: I'm afraid Don and I indeed misunderstood you in the sense that Fast Explorer does not solve the 64-bit shell extension problem. It does enable shell context menu editing which, provided the target app supports adequate parameters, can emulate the functionality of shell extensions up to a point. False alarm, unfortunately :cry:.
Yep. :(