Drag & Drop image from Firefx 3.5.5 to list view fails

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
nony

Re: Drag & Drop image from Firefx 3.5.5 to list view fails

Post by nony »

It looks in the current beta XY is trying to download images again via web. Not a proper solution i would say. What if the images are large say 3M or more. Then it's just going to waste my bandwidth in downloading things that are already downloaded. Now don't say try other workarounds :P

zer0

Post by zer0 »

nony wrote:It looks in the current beta XY is trying to download images again via web. Not a proper solution i would say. What if the images are large say 3M or more. Then it's just going to waste my bandwidth in downloading things that are already downloaded. Now don't say try other workarounds :P
OK, please elaborate on how would you prefer said actions to be handled. The only way I can see is for Don to implement a functionality for XY to look in Firefox cache and match image from the page to a file in the cache. I'm not entirely sure about the implementation complexity of such functionality, but it's bordering on being a bit over the top. Especially considering that there are a couple of rather nice cache management utilities (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mozilla_cache_viewer.html and https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2489) that do the job.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:It looks in the current beta XY is trying to download images again via web. Not a proper solution i would say. What if the images are large say 3M or more. Then it's just going to waste my bandwidth in downloading things that are already downloaded. Now don't say try other workarounds :P
Actually I just succeeded in reading the images from the local cache. 8)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Actually I just succeeded in reading the images from the local cache. 8)
I spoke too soon then :oops: Is it irrespective of where it is stored and what version (installed vs. portable) of Firefox it is?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:Actually I just succeeded in reading the images from the local cache. 8)
I spoke too soon then :oops: Is it irrespective of where it is stored and what version (installed vs. portable) of Firefox it is?
There is some dark smartness built into Windows here. I'm not sure when exactly it takes it from the cache, but sometimes it works and sometimes not. Tested with FF 3.5.5.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

It's working just fine in Firefox Portable 3.5.5 for me now as well, so thanks Don ;) Still fails in Google Chrome 4 though...
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

nony

Post by nony »

I understand what the problem was. If the image is hyperlinked then XY would try to get the link and skip the image.

nony

Post by nony »

So Don could you provide a tweak/fix to save hyperlinked images without downloading.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:So Don could you provide a tweak/fix to save hyperlinked images without downloading.
I don't think that's possible. It's firefox's decision to drop the link and not the image.

nony

Post by nony »

This is somehow related to Xy.
In Explorer the image will be saved. But if I drop image in XY and if XY is not provided internet access then it would say "Image drop failed" :o

As an example try dropping the XY logo on top left in Explorer and XY(without network access)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nony wrote:This is somehow related to Xy.
In Explorer the image will be saved. But if I drop image in XY and if XY is not provided internet access then it would say "Image drop failed" :o

As an example try dropping the XY logo on top left in Explorer and XY(without network access)
Correct. Fixed: Now image will be saved.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

While not a bug per se, there is a potential situation where issues may arise -- tomorrow's (Thursday) release of Firefox 3.6. It incorporates "Drag and Drop", so people can DnD files from their PC onto web pages. It's the opposite of this thread's direction, but it's related so..just a gentle "heads up", something to test when the times comes ;)
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

^^^ It works fine on 3.6 8) DnD from FF to XY works too :D
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:^^^ It works fine on 3.6 8) DnD from FF to XY works too :D
Sure, what did you expect? :mrgreen:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Sure, what did you expect? :mrgreen:
I'm going to be careful how I answer that question. The fact is that Firefox 3.6 brings with it support for HTML5's File API. This API allows for DnD -- very useful for file management, especially if one works with a piece of storage infrastructure that has a web front end, such as cloud computing 8). Unfortunately, XYplorer uses IE as its rendering engine for html(), so when (not if ;)) we get transient windows it would not be possible to take advantage of such functionality :(
Windows 7/10