TortoiseGit and XYplorer

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jreynolds

TortoiseGit and XYplorer

Post by jreynolds »

Hello,

This may not be a XYplorer issue at all, but I can't get the problem to manifest itself in the stock Windows 8.1 (x64) explorer.

Periodically when navigating within git related folders using XYplorer, the cursor will start flashing from busy to normal many times a second. After doing this for some time, if I try to move the application around or click on another folder, the cursor will go to busy and the application will become unresponsive until I kill it.

I'm using the latest version of XYplorer, git and TortoiseGit.

I was wondering if anyone else has had such an experience?

jreynolds

Re: TortoiseGit and XYplorer

Post by jreynolds »

I did some Googling on the subject. I found that someone else turned off icon overlays and a similar problem subsided.

I turned off icon overlays and have had similar success. Of course, this means that I can't see the useful overlays so it's not a fix, but a workaround.

I was hoping for some thoughts from developers on what might be causing the problem?

Best,

John

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

jreynolds wrote:I was hoping for some thoughts from developers on what might be causing the problem?
No worries. The one and only one developer seems to enjoy his summer holidays, he will address this issue with you once he's back.

The only thing I can do is to say, that I never noticed a similar behaviour with TortoiseSVN (I'm currently on 1.8.7, Build 25475 - 64 Bit). AFAIK, the GIT version is derived from TortoiseSVN.

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does it also help if you turn off Auto-Refresh? (Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Auto-refresh)

jreynolds

Post by jreynolds »

I wanted to give myself a week to test the idea of turning off auto-refresh. I am running 14.40, and over the last week when I turned the icons back on but left auto-refresh disabled, I have not seen the issue happen again.

What next?

Thanks,

John

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I assume getting these overlay icons triggers auto-refresh, and auto-refresh triggers getting the overlay icons, so there is endless recursion.

There are several ways for me to handle this, but it would need to repro the issue to find the best way. Need to install TortoiseGit. Which I have no time for now unfortunately.

Do others with TortoiseGit see the same issue?

jreynolds

Post by jreynolds »

I see the dilemma. So far this (no refresh) is working for me, but I miss it in other areas.

In retrospect, the ability to set a no refresh" for certain folders and below holds interest for not only this issue but some particular network locations. Not sure if that might fit the bill for two things at once.

Just a thought, and I appreciate the help.

Best,

John

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That would be one of the possibilities. But I'd really like to know if anybody else shares this issue. There is still the chance that something special to your system causes it... :whistle: