Hangs when commiting file operations with flash drive

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tim

Hangs when commiting file operations with flash drive

Post by tim »

XY hangs totally when committing file operations with external USB flash drive. It starts and continues as it should, and if do not touch it, then operation will end as a normal. “Do not touch” — I mean to not return in main XY′s window and start to do something (e.g. browsing, tab switching). Application hangs so strong that XYcopy or even native windows copier get hung, thus there's no way out — have to manually terminate processes :veryconfused:
XY 13.90.0100.

tim

Re: Hangs when commiting file operations with flash drive

Post by tim »

Looks like nobody actually cares... It is a serious problem along with described in this topic.

XY seemed like a powerful tool for me at first glance. WinExplorer is quite annoying with folder view saving system — I'm really tired of WinExplorer's tricks with folder view settings lost in some places. And It's not a solution for me to reset registry branch corresponding to the settings every time. Therefore, I want XY to work without annoying delays in some cases or hangs with elementary file operations. I don't think there's some hardware problems with my flash drive, because WinExplorer does operations without any problem.

By the way, XY has occasional delays when I start to delete files. Whole application waits about 4 secs for some strange reason, although deleted file immediatly get into recycle bin (recycle bin was open in WinExplorer and files deleting was in XY, I saw file occur in bin instantly, but XY waits).

I would like to have XY as my standard file manager, but now I see that it has some annoying bugs. Don? :veryconfused:

highend

Post by highend »

It's not about caring.

I for myself don't have these issues. Neither with deleting files / folders nor with usb drives at all (apart for one thing that the transfer speed is shown 10 times higher than it actually is and therefore showing that a copy operation is at 100% while in reality it's still somewhere in between).

Did you exclude the XYcopy.exe process from your antivirus software?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

tim

Post by tim »

Yes, I did. That FAQ page helped me and I hope I did it correctly. I turned off Windows Defender at all. But anyway there's no difference.

Any other reasons maybe?

highend

Post by highend »

Windows Defender?

What about your Eset software?

Delaying things sounds always like something is interfering...

tim

Post by tim »

Windows Defender?
What? :) I have turned Defender off at all.
What about your Eset software?
I don't really know what can be about it. I've been using the same version of “Smart Security” for a 3 years on Windows 7. No problems noticed.
Delaying things sounds always like something is interfering...
Something, something... what could it be...

highend

Post by highend »

In the first place: your Antivirus. So exclude the xy & xycopy process.

Apart from that: How should I know what could interfere if you didn't supply the list of installed applications?

tim

Post by tim »

What do you mean about “exclude the xy & xycopy process”? I have it done already as I said. Maybe XY executable and XY process are different things? If so, how to exclude particularly the process? I don't see any other option in my antivirus except “Exclusions” in settings. Thus, both executables are there.
Apart from that: How should I know what could interfere if you didn't supply the list of installed applications?
Wow, that's kind of impossible. How can I supply all of them?
You know actually I have TuneUp Utilities working. Say your words about it, while I'll try to find out could TuneUp affect. For now in suspects list I have TuneUp and my antivirus which can somehow affect XY work. I'll keep thinking.
Last edited by tim on 23 Apr 2014 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

Excluding a (simple) file from scanning is completely different than excluding a process. I don't see an option inside ESET to exclude a process so export your configuration, uninstall it, reboot.

Still slow?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I have these "hanging" states occurring when copying data to a USB drive. Going from USB back to internal HDD does not cause a delay. I have a feeling that this is more to do with how data is written to storage when using USB interface. It is a burst-like protocol, where it will send a chunk of data quickly, but then slow down at a steep rate as it works to catch up with itself. When a file has almost finished copying, I think it performs work akin to that of a DVD writer where it completes lead-out and flushes buffers, effectively "committing" a file to the drive. I could be wrong, but that is my theory.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

tim

Post by tim »

TuneUp doesn't affect.
I don't see an option inside ESET to exclude a process so export your configuration, uninstall it, reboot.
Do you suggest taking down whole antivirus to see what happens?
I have these "hanging" states occurring when copying data to a USB drive. Going from USB back to internal HDD does not cause a delay. I have a feeling that this is more to do with how data is written to storage when using USB interface. It is a burst-like protocol, where it will send a chunk of data quickly, but then slow down at a steep rate as it works to catch up with itself. When a file has almost finished copying, I think it performs work akin to that of a DVD writer where it completes lead-out and flushes buffers, effectively "committing" a file to the drive. I could be wrong, but that is my theory.
Yes, yes. If I get back to HDD, delays will disappear. But this isn't always easy to do. I'd like to agree with you on this, but how does WinExplorer commit file operations with USB without problems?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

tim wrote:I'd like to agree with you on this, but how does WinExplorer commit file operations with USB without problems?
Yes, XYcopy's progress dialogue does go into "Not Responding" state whereas Explorer's one is fully responsive. I hope Don can clarify why this happens.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Perhaps someone could try investigating the differences using SysInternal's Process Monitor and comparing XYcopy/XYplorer to Explorer?

Might help identify the cause for Don when he returns.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Attached is a Zip file with CSV files with ProcMon traces filtered for XYcopy.exe and Explorer.exe for when file copies were initiated.
Attachments
ProcMonLogs.zip
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Windows 7/10

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

zer0 wrote:Attached is a Zip file with CSV files with ProcMon traces filtered for XYcopy.exe and Explorer.exe for when file copies were initiated.
I think you may have had it set to filter out too much, because all this appears to show is it loading DLLs and creating/killing threads.

I'll try to recreate and monitor this in 14 hours (when I'm back on Windows)...

Does the hang/delay happen on all operations?
Or are there some conditions (file size, item type, number of items, USB sticks) or anything else that trigger it more frequently and make it more noticeable?

For that matter which Windows are we talking about?