Multilingual Support

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Multilingual Support

Post by admin »

OK, on my relatively slow machine you can now toggle say French and English on the fly (without restart) in about 0.1 seconds, and that's over 5,000 language units distributed all over a big, deep, and complex interface. I'd call this cool! 8) Do you any other software that can do this?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:OK, on my relatively slow machine you can now toggle say French and English on the fly (without restart) in about 0.1 seconds, and that's over 5,000 language units distributed all over a big, deep, and complex interface. I'd call this cool! 8) Do you any other software that can do this?
Actually it IS pretty cool how fast the switch happens.
Do you use some trick here? Like start the switching process with menu first and rest happening in the background where user cannot immediately see?

btw, most softwares i looked at (IconFX, IrfanView, malwarebytes) had language listed under "options", "settings" or even "view" and some had it well hidden inside their complex interface of edit>preference.. (good lord, imagine getting lost there).

And, among those i tested Irfanview and Malaware bytes were equally fast.

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote:OK, on my relatively slow machine you can now toggle say French and English on the fly (without restart) in about 0.1 seconds, and that's over 5,000 language units distributed all over a big, deep, and complex interface. I'd call this cool! 8) Do you any other software that can do this?
It is very cool indeed and seems to function great. :appl: I believe that XnView does something comparable (F12 > Interface > Language change > OK). (Aaah, it is only now that I noticed that it has Croatian as a language there - another good source of examples for me.)
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note to Translators for MLS 8.18: (will be published today)

In Item 244 I just swapped the order of Convert to ASCII and Remove Diacritics, and added a separator (-,"):

OLD: &Batch Rename...,&RegExp Rename...,&Search and Replace...,&Keep Particular Characters...,Set &Extension...,Edit &Item Names...,-,A* A*.*,Aaa Aa.*,aaa aa.aaa,AAA AA.AAA,*.aaa,*.AAA,-,Spaces to _,_ to Spaces,Convert to ASCII,Remove Diacritics,UrlEscape (Space > %20 ...),UrlUnescape (%20 > Space ...),&Unicode to UTF-8,UTF-&8 to Unicode,-

NEW: &Batch Rename...,&RegExp Rename...,&Search and Replace...,&Keep Particular Characters...,Set &Extension...,Edit &Item Names...,-,A* A*.*,Aaa Aa.*,aaa aa.aaa,AAA AA.AAA,*.aaa,*.AAA,-,Spaces to _,_ to Spaces,Remove Diacritics,Convert to ASCII,-,UrlEscape (Space > %20 ...),UrlUnescape (%20 > Space ...),&Unicode to UTF-8,UTF-&8 to Unicode,-

Just to save you some staring looking for differences... :)

Marco

Post by Marco »

Possible new features in the MLS realm(?)

1. a script function or a variable that returns the current language code of the underlying OS (I don't know the technical term, but in case of Italian is 1040)
2. a script function or a variable that returns the original/translated string given its number (for example <stringoriginal 135> is "Item" and <stringtranslated 135> is "Elemento")
3. a new item in the Help menu, "Download translation (if available)". It checks if, given the code of point 1, the related zip file exists (and if so downloads and turns it active). IOW, if http://www.xyplorer.com/download/1040.zip exists. Yep, zip names would become less meaningful.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Possible new features in the MLS realm(?)

1. a script function or a variable that returns the current language code of the underlying OS (I don't know the technical term, but in case of Italian is 1040)
2. a script function or a variable that returns the original/translated string given its number (for example <stringoriginal 135> is "Item" and <stringtranslated 135> is "Elemento")
3. a new item in the Help menu, "Download translation (if available)". It checks if, given the code of point 1, the related zip file exists (and if so downloads and turns it active). IOW, if http://www.xyplorer.com/download/1040.zip exists. Yep, zip names would become less meaningful.
1. and 2.: Not sure why you want that in a script.
3. I plan to wait for mass feedback :) after publication of 12.00. And then think about streamlining the language download.

Marco

Post by Marco »

1. and 2.
Now that you added the ability to place perm variables in script captions it would be possible and quite easy to develop multilingual scripts (provided that they use XY terminology). I designed my updating script that way, several strings are identical to menu items and for the other ones I just need to find some trick.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, nice! Yes, that can be done (but a bit later...).

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

-->DO NOT TRANSLATE<-- (3 occurs)
What to do? Translate the expressions or keep them as in original?
Any way it should have a note like in "&Back to English"'s "This item should remain 'Back to English' always."
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:-->DO NOT TRANSLATE<-- (3 occurs)
What to do? Translate the expressions or keep them as in original?
Any way it should have a note like in "&Back to English"'s "This item should remain 'Back to English' always."
Keep the translation as "-->DO NOT TRANSLATE<--" and mark it as translated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:1. and 2.
Now that you added the ability to place perm variables in script captions it would be possible and quite easy to develop multilingual scripts (provided that they use XY terminology). I designed my updating script that way, several strings are identical to menu items and for the other ones I just need to find some trick.
Sorry, I made a mistake: It CANNOT be done. The item indices in LNG are not stable and can change all the time.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Even the mm.nnnn identifiers are "fluctuating"?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Even the mm.nnnn identifiers are "fluctuating"?
Yes, this has reasons too long to explain.

How does it work? Translations are looked up in a ordered dictionary by ultra-fast binary search.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

It nice to see how everyone is collaborating to put together their languages. Tried a few of them and they look great! :appl:
Also, its a great way to learn a language since I know my way around XY menus and layouts so well. :wink:
OMG, what a long word in German Hilfe? Oberflächen.... (30 chars) is this the longest?

Also, is there going to be a new "Language" folder where all .lng files live or will they be in the main folder?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:Also, is there going to be a new "Language" folder where all .lng files live or will they be in the main folder?
I assume that most users have exactly one LNG file, so no need for such a subfolder.