Volume leveling software

What other productivity software are you working with...
fenpeppertree

Volume leveling software

Post by fenpeppertree »

:? I have been trying to find a software product that will simply return the volume level to a pre-designated per cent or position after a file or video or web page has finished playing an audio segment. This way, when later a different video or mp3 or whatever begins to play it will not be too loud. I would much prefer to set the volume each time an audio program opens then to deal with the noisy intrusion and bother I normally have anyway of manually adjusting the volume level. I'm sure a feature could include presets for certain software applications like Netflix or Windows Media Player that may have an average volume level that could be used each time. With Bluetooth headphones and volume up/down available right on the headphones minor adjustments would be easy without being blasted at first start up.

highend

Re: Volume leveling software

Post by highend »

Not that complicated...

This will not work with browser tabs that play a video / music at least unless you close the browser after playing one...

VolumeResetter writes an .ini file on it's first start:

Default content:
[General]
VolumeLevel=25
CheckTimer=5

[ProcessNames]
1=aimp3.exe
VolumeLevel in %
CheckTimer in seconds
1=<process name to check>.exe

When you edit the .ini file to suit your needs you have to restart VolumeResetter afterwards.

E.g. to check each 10 seconds if the volume needs to be reset (it goes through the list of processes and compares it with all entries from [ProcessNames] then) you have to change CheckTimer=5 to CheckTimer=10

To add all of your applications:
2=mplayer.exe
3=vlc.exe

etc...

To get the process name of an application, open the taskmanager and switch to the details tab. Case is ignored when comparing happens...
VolumeResetter.zip
(378.57 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Volume leveling software

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Not a direct answer (and it's audio only), plus you may already know that.
But it's definitely worth it, so just in case… :)

• I strongly advocate using "Replay Gain" tags on audio tracks — if your setup allows it.
Wikipedia link.

It allows to normalize loudness between tracks when playing, by storing each track (and opt. album) average loudness info in their tags.
:arrow: So once your tracks are analyzed (just a one-time process), you can randomize your whole music library and switch from Classical to Heavy Metal in peace!
It works wonders… :kidding:

Most players support this one way or the other, be it under Windows, iOS, or Android…
• Note though that AFAIK, Apple & Microsoft don't read/use the standard ReplayGain tags, but resp. their own "Sound Check" and "Volume Leveling". So if you use them you gotta stick to their ecosystem (or use conversion tools)…
Everyone else should be fine! 8)